Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying Y with the family as Oneworld emerald

Old Sep 24, 22, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver

Hey guys, unfortunately I wasn't able to find a reasonably priced flight in J and ended up booking a cheap LHR to BKK via HKG in Economy.

Me and my wife are emerald whereas our daughter doesn't have status.

I can see that as gold we get a free bag each on a lite ticket, which is great.

We will get lounge access in Hong Kong and London and can board first. When it comes to seat selection I can see most seats in the front part of the cabin are taken or blocked. Any suggestions there on how to make this trip bearable?

Any decent seat in Economy at all? The leg to Bangkok will be easy but it's LHR to HKG I am worried about. Outbound is daylight so all good but on the way back it's an overnight.

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 24, 22, 10:55 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Bulkhead seats if you can select it now on MMB or request for it at check-in.
Good luck!
Old Sep 24, 22, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Looks like they are blocked if I try to select them online ATM. Will try to call or at check-in.

Just to confirm for Oneworld emerald seat selection is free?
Old Sep 24, 22, 10:59 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Yes if the OWE number is tagged to the booking
And it's a good idea to call as well.
Old Sep 24, 22, 1:26 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by umbyboy View Post
Any decent seat in Economy at all? The leg to Bangkok will be easy but it's LHR to HKG I am worried about. Outbound is daylight so all good but on the way back it's an overnight.
Just called CX and confirmed you and anyone in the same booking can select most seats for free, except exit row is only for you and your wife. Definitely call.
Old Sep 25, 22, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
The consistent and high quality service will also recognise your status: As a one world emerald you will also get the cabin crew leaders (the cabin director, plus the person in charge of the cabin in which you're flying) coming around to check on you and say hi during the pre-take-off or early part of the flight (in any class), would likely be offered a meal first (at least the selection of your meal), and wouldn't struggle if you asked for an extra bottle of water or beer when the cabin director says hello. You will find Cathay a step up from BA, and about the same as an airline like Qatar (good entertainment, ok food, ok drinks, reasonable seat)... I wouldn't worry too much really. The lounges in both London and Hong Kong will help cheer things up somewhat, my personal recommendation would be to try and eat there rather than on the flight (dan dan mien. wonton noodle soup etc.), and if you like alcohol, hit the champagne so that you enter the flight with a nice buzz that can help you get to sleep.

If your FFP numbers are properly entered in the system then online you would get access to all available seats, however some of the flights may be very full with HK reopening to a quarantine-less stay, so it may be that others have gotten the good seats ahead of you. Personally I used to like the mini-cabin in the front of economy (perhaps only 4 rows) as being a bit quieter, though it did always get filled up. You could chance it and stay at the very back and hope for some spare seats, but I'd choose the front and getting off first.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. This is very reassuring .

I only flew Cathay once in J from Singapore to Bangkok and the service on the A350 was one of the best I have ever had.

I often use the lounge at LHR T3 but excited to enjoy the offering in Hong Kong.

Last question regarding upgrades. I am assuming economy tickets aren't upgradable. I am tempted to book us with avios in J on the leg Hong Kong to Bangkok. How would that be seen if we are double booked? Thanks
Old Sep 25, 22, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Last question regarding upgrades. I am assuming economy tickets aren't upgradable. I am tempted to book us with avios in J on the leg Hong Kong to Bangkok. How would that be seen if we are double booked? Thanks
I can foresee problems with luggage check-in and transfers, I also haven't seen online check-in work out of HKG yet so you'd likely have to enter the city (with all the associated risks of PCR tests) to then check-in to your next flight even if you did decide to do hand baggage only.

Personally I wouldn't bother as if you can survive the 12 hours to get you to Hong Kong another 2.5 hours in business on an A350 vs economy won't make that much difference considering you'd have the lounge just prior. If you believed HK would be fully reopen when you travelled (e.g. next January) AND then you put in a stopover so that there was a day or two between flights then you could do this more easily so that you didn't have the same booking e.g. put your economy fare on Tuesday but your Business fare on Monday (Note all Cathay fares are fairly flexible at the moment, so in theory you could change your existing ticket to create the stopover I believe fairly easily, if you can get through to their ticket desk, which will be very busy at the moment)

Other related:
AFAIK you can't use Avios to upgrade CX flights.
I am unsure if CX uses sweeping programs to check for double bookings.
Old Sep 25, 22, 9:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
Just called CX and confirmed you and anyone in the same booking can select most seats for free, except exit row is only for you and your wife. Definitely call.
Really? I just spent 71 minutes calling someone on the English line (but I'm 80% certain I hit a Tsuen Wan person), no luck assigning my wife the next seat to me (I am OWE to 31 Mar 2023, my wife is nothing (Green)). Economy Light seats in same booking. No love.

HUACAing (US toll free instead of 2747 3333 to see if it makes any difference).

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 25, 22 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:53 am

Thanks guys. This is very reassuring .

I only flew Cathay once in J from Singapore to Bangkok and the service on the A350 was one of the best I have ever had.

I often use the lounge at LHR T3 but excited to enjoy the offering in Hong Kong.

If you're talking about skipping the economy HKG-BKK leg of your paid ticket and instead using an Avios redemption for that leg only, missing the paid leg would invalidate the rest of your ticket. If you haven't flown that segment that would be true even if you checked in for it (which would likely create problems itself if using the same travel documents to check in for the same flight on the redemption tickets). Cathay is not at all lenient re skipping segments as I have found in the past.
littlevoices and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:35 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Really? I just spent 71 minutes calling someone on the English line (but I'm 80% certain I hit a Tsuen Wan person), no luck assigning my wife the next seat to me (I am OWE to 31 Mar 2023, my wife is nothing (Green)). Economy Light seats in same booking. No love.

HUACAing (US toll free instead of 2747 3333 to see if it makes any difference).
My parents and I will be travelling on the same flight in Dec., but we are in different bookings. I called asking if my parents can get free seat assignment for travelling with me (GO). Mandarin-speaking (with Cantonese accent) agent said only possible if in the same PNR. Seeing this thread just before I called, I asked if this is the same for oneworld Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald members from other airlines. He said yes. I then asked about the exit row part.
Old Sep 26, 22, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
My parents and I will be travelling on the same flight in Dec., but we are in different bookings. I called asking if my parents can get free seat assignment for travelling with me (GO). Mandarin-speaking (with Cantonese accent) agent said only possible if in the same PNR. Seeing this thread just before I called, I asked if this is the same for oneworld Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald members from other airlines. He said yes. I then asked about the exit row part.
After multiple >3-hour disconnections, got thru to Manila. Still no (even though, the agent (you know who you are, thank you thank you)) got me a waiver on a more important fee.

ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 30, 22, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HarbourGent View Post
If you're talking about skipping the economy HKG-BKK leg of your paid ticket and instead using an Avios redemption for that leg only, missing the paid leg would invalidate the rest of your ticket. If you haven't flown that segment that would be true even if you checked in for it (which would likely create problems itself if using the same travel documents to check in for the same flight on the redemption tickets). Cathay is not at all lenient re skipping segments as I have found in the past.
Yes this is a very good point. As someone above suggested, for a quick flight, I will stick to economy.
Old Oct 5, 22, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
After multiple >3-hour disconnections, got thru to Manila. Still no (even though, the agent (you know who you are, thank you thank you)) got me a waiver on a more important fee.

I'm having second thoughts whether this is Manila or Mumbai. The accents were distinctively Indian last night and this morning.

No racial discrimination intended, but an new call centre may need training (and more HUACA).
Old Oct 9, 22, 6:18 am

I was reminded of this thread when travelling on a business class (paid) ticket today on BKK-HKG, luckily for me I had read this article first, so I didn't waste the leg and earn nothing, so rather than being OWE with a BA number loaded, I credited to Cathay/Asia Miles with no status...

It was a good recap me of the OWE perks I've gotten used to but don't even exist in business class:
  • Boarding was bedlam as I had to use the business class lane rather than the First/Emerald one, along with about a third of the plane (lots of status passengers on CX)
  • Nobody in the cabin bothered to say hello, it was a full flight
  • The guy in front of me, presumably a OWE or some Cathay status, got his meal ten minutes before me. He also ordered well before me (note, no impact as I got my choice of meal)
  • Of course the passenger travelling with me not in business couldn't get into the lounge (note I didn't try and push this as it was a third party lounge and we only had a short time to wait)

So in summary, I think you may actually have a slightly superior experience as a OWE . And also, as I did my sums, of how much easier it is to earn OWE on BA vs Cathay!

Search this Thread