Transit without Same Ticket

Old Sep 7, 22, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Transit without Same Ticket

Looking to book a ticket from YVR to HKT through HKG.

The problem is, we'll have to book 2 separate tickets even though Cathay owns HK Express.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...uirements.html

According to this, the tickets no longer have to be on same tickets, but not 100% sure. Any recent datapoints on transiting on separate tickets?

Also, does anyone know if Cathay will move luggage to Hong Kong express flights? Thank you!
Old Sep 7, 22, 2:45 am

Programs: Executive Club
I don't think you'll be able to do this, as in you won't be allowed to board the flight to hk. They will view you as a HK bound pax, to do that you need to book a DQH hotel, and have preflight Covid testing in addition to completing various forms.

If the ticket isn't on one booking I don't think it will work, try calling and asking. Also the requirements to transit HK airport are listed online, they are very strictly enforced.
Old Sep 7, 22, 4:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by drivingflyingwalking View Post
I don't think you'll be able to do this, as in you won't be allowed to board the flight to hk. They will view you as a HK bound pax, to do that you need to book a DQH hotel, and have preflight Covid testing in addition to completing various forms.

If the ticket isn't on one booking I don't think it will work, try calling and asking. Also the requirements to transit HK airport are listed online, they are very strictly enforced.
Thats absolutely not true. OP is correct. as per the link they posted, Hong Kong no longer requires transit to be on a single booking. All that is required is that you hold a confirmed onward booking within 24hrs, have baggage checked through to the destination, and meet the entry requirements of the destination. Even the PCR requirement has been scrapped.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/i...638782054297-2

Cathay is generally very generous with interline baggage check through, but unfortunately I have no datapoints for CX > HK Express.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 7, 22, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jaytw View Post
Thats absolutely not true. OP is correct. as per the link they posted, Hong Kong no longer requires transit to be on a single booking. All that is required is that you hold a confirmed onward booking within 24hrs, have baggage checked through to the destination, and meet the entry requirements of the destination. Even the PCR requirement has been scrapped.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/i...638782054297-2

Cathay is generally very generous with interline baggage check through, but unfortunately I have no datapoints for CX > HK Express.
You can transfer on two airlines provided your bags are checked through.
You face two problems
1. UO is basically a LCC of the CX group. You must make sure that CX will check your bags through. I do not know.

2. UO has periodically announced flights to HKT, then cancelled. Same for Thai. They now announced that they will restart on 25/9. Whether they actually do is a big question mark.
Old Sep 7, 22, 3:17 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by bobu View Post
Also, does anyone know if Cathay will move luggage to Hong Kong express flights? Thank you!
Originally Posted by jaytw View Post
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
You can transfer on two airlines provided your bags are checked through.
You face two problems
1. UO is basically a LCC of the CX group. You must make sure that CX will check your bags through. I do not know.
Agree it is better if someone has such experience, but from a technical standpoint, CX can through-check bags to UO. UO is an interline partner of CX and, in fact, CX codeshares on UO's flight to HKT.

Code:
1AA/W/*CX$*UO
** AA - AMERICAN AIRLINES **
 CX-160 CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS/CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS LTD      

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       UO-128 HONG KONG EXPRESS                                
              HONG KONG EXPRESS AIRWAYS LIMITED                

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       UO
See Cathay > KLM interline agreement? for the discussion on CX's baggage interline policy across separate tickets.
Old Sep 8, 22, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking to book a ticket from YVR to HKT through HKG.

The problem is, we'll have to book 2 separate tickets even though Cathay owns HK Express.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...uirements.html

According to this, the tickets no longer have to be on same tickets, but not 100% sure. Any recent datapoints on transiting on separate tickets?

Why can't you buy on a single ticket? CX is selling it.
Old Sep 8, 22, 11:31 am
Original Poster

The only ones i see go through BKK.
Old Sep 8, 22, 6:06 pm

Programs: MH, AC
The only ones i see go through BKK.
It's possible, but you'll have to play around with the dates.

Old Sep 8, 22, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
It's possible, but you'll have to play around with the dates.

oh yeah, weird. Unfortunately dates are set, so just gotta wait it out, thanks!
Old Sep 9, 22, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh yeah, weird. Unfortunately dates are set, so just gotta wait it out, thanks!
Maybe we could help you if you give the dates.
I believe that CX website will offer you the YVR-HKG-HKT and return on the dates that they are actually flying and transit is possible. Both segments only fly on some days of the week.
If you already have the tickets, I would double check that CX and UO are actually flying on those dates.
Old Sep 9, 22, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Maybe we could help you if you give the dates.
I believe that CX website will offer you the YVR-HKG-HKT and return on the dates that they are actually flying and transit is possible. Both segments only fly on some days of the week.
If you already have the tickets, I would double check that CX and UO are actually flying on those dates.
Nov 19 or around there, a tad little flexible. I do appreciate the help though.
Old Sep 9, 22, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, CX does sell tickets with UO in October but not in November.
I would not advise you to buy two separate tickets. If UO does not operate, you will be in a poor position.
DiamondMile likes this.

Search this Thread