Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to Extend Asia Miles Expiration Date at the 11th Hour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

I have over 33K Asia Miles literally expiring tomorrow. I know that I shouldn't have waited so long to make provisions, but is there a quick and easy way to extend their expiration date?

In my account, it lists the following ways to do it:

Simple ways to stay active

Earning and redeeming Miles when you fly with Cathay Pacific or out other airline partners

Spending with our co-branded credit cards

Redeeming Miles for Travel or Lifestyle Awards

The first option is out, since I am not flying with CX or their partners.

The second option is also out, since I don't have a co-branded credit card.

So, that leaves the third option: Redeeming Miles for Travel or Lifestyle Awards.

What is the minimum number of miles that I can redeem for "Lifestyle Awards" in order to keep them active and reset their expiry date?
If, for example, I redeem 5K miles for a Lifestyle Award, will the expiration date on my remaining 28K miles be reset?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by joer1212
I have over 33K Asia Miles literally expiring tomorrow. I know that I shouldn't have waited so long to make provisions, but is there a quick and easy way to extend their expiration date?

Earning and redeeming Miles when you fly with Cathay Pacific or out other airline partners

So, that leaves the third option: Redeeming Miles for Travel or Lifestyle Awards.

What is the minimum number of miles that I can redeem for "Lifestyle Awards" in order to keep them active and reset their expiry date?
If, for example, I redeem 5K miles for a Lifestyle Award, will the expiration date on my remaining 28K miles be reset?

Thanks
Are your miles old miles (earned in 2019 or before) or new miles (earned in 2020 or after)? If they are old miles, these tricks won't work. You have to refer to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...il-2022-a.html

If they are new miles, any activity will do, even if you only get 1 mile deducted.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:24 pm

Any miles that you don't redeem will expire, so the minimum redemption is 33k.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Are your miles old miles (earned in 2019 or before) or new miles (earned in 2020 or after)? If they are old miles, these tricks won't work. You have to refer to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...il-2022-a.html

If they are new miles, any activity will do, even if you only get 1 mile deducted.
They are old miles. All of them.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
They are old miles. All of them.
If you don't have credit card points that can be converted to AM and cannot apply for a co-brand card, you are basically out of luck. Can't think of any other way. This thread should be merged into https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-2022-a-2.html
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:48 am

Thanks

Buy a HKG LHR fully refundable PEY one way ticket using Cash + Miles then refund two days later.
ernestnywang, joer1212 and Alawyer like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Extending old miles

Buying a PEY ticket and cancelling was recommended in another post as well and works great. Thank you to this forum for the advice.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Donkitravel
Buy a HKG LHR fully refundable PEY one way ticket using Cash + Miles then refund two days later.
Originally Posted by worldtraveler303
Buying a PEY ticket and cancelling was recommended in another post as well and works great. Thank you to this forum for the advice.
Where are the refundable fares? Lowest I can see is £150 cancellation fee for Eco Flex and £200 for PEY flex, tried a good mix of dates etc

Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by 8592nd
Where are the refundable fares? Lowest I can see is £150 cancellation fee for Eco Flex and £200 for PEY flex, tried a good mix of dates etc

Buy PEY Flex to London originating HKG.
8592nd likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Try J
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Buy PEY Flex to London originating HKG.
Ok, thanks all. Bought PEY HKG to LHR. They only reduced the fare by about 4,000 HKD when using all my 50,000 Asia Miles, seems horribly wasteful if you were to legitimately use the option of Miles and Cash.
Anyway, why refund two days later? Just letting the money fully come out of your account? Wednesday 10pm here so I'll refund on Monday I guess.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by 8592nd
Ok, thanks all. Bought PEY HKG to LHR. They only reduced the fare by about 4,000 HKD when using all my 50,000 Asia Miles, seems horribly wasteful if you were to legitimately use the option of Miles and Cash.
Anyway, why refund two days later? Just letting the money fully come out of your account? Wednesday 10pm here so I'll refund on Monday I guess.

In OP’s case, the new membership year starts in 11 hours that’s why I said refund two days later. The refunded miles will then be treated as “earn” in the new membership year and never expire again under the new system.

If your miles are not expiring shortly, you should refund only after the new membership year started. Time should use HKG time.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 6:01 pm

extending new miles

my (new) miles are expiring on 31 october 2022
is the best way to extend the expiration still to buy refundable flights?
i only have 9k miles

i try the iShop purchase 2 months ago, but omg it takes 4 months to get credited so i consider that technique a fail
Old Oct 25, 2022, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
extending new miles

my (new) miles are expiring on 31 october 2022
is the best way to extend the expiration still to buy refundable flights?
i only have 9k miles

i try the iShop purchase 2 months ago, but omg it takes 4 months to get credited so i consider that technique a fail

For this amount of miles to extend, buy a one-way HKG-TPE PEY Flex ticket will work. Refund the ticket on 1 Nov. Simple and easy.
wongbr likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:54 am

For this amount of miles to extend, buy a one-way HKG-TPE PEY Flex ticket will work. Refund the ticket on 1 Nov. Simple and easy.
just made the purchase. will wait till nov 1 or after to refund. thanks

Last edited by gnomey; Oct 29, 2022 at 1:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.