FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   CX States my flights are not cancelled ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2085182-cx-states-my-flights-not-cancelled.html)

Pilotbg Jun 30, 2022 8:47 pm

CX States my flights are not cancelled ?

Contacted the airline cause I can no longer find these flights online, however, they stated the flights are still confirmed:

Sat 24 Dec 2022 |CX837 - Vancouver to Hong Kong

Tue 27 Dec 2022 |CX785 - Hong Kong to Denpasar (Bali)

Can someone confirm that?

anc305 Jun 30, 2022 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pilotbg (Post 34385717)
Contacted the airline cause I can no longer find these flights online, however, they stated the flights are still confirmed:

Sat 24 Dec 2022 |CX837 - Vancouver to Hong Kong

Tue 27 Dec 2022 |CX785 - Hong Kong to Denpasar (Bali)

Can someone confirm that?

Your flights are zeroed out . Not for sale but not cancelled. YET !!! There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about this practice. Seems like it firms up around 4 months before. I have a CX flight booked for October. Was good to go and being sold. Now it is not offered on the CX site and zeroed out on Expert Flyer. It looks like there is 1 YVR-HKG flight still being sold every other day around Christmas. The HKG-DPS flight is zeroed out every day.

alfrie Jul 1, 2022 12:19 pm

I received an email notification that my flights in Nov had been rebooked to two days later. Checked that the original flights were zeroed out but not canceled yet. I consider this was an improvement on CX side because they proactively rebooked before the flights were taken out of schedule. I just wish they could do it for booking with sufficient lead time.

nomadabroad Jul 2, 2022 6:36 am

As mentioned don’t bother booking any flights with CX, they have zero competency and consistency in maintaining any sort of reliable schedule- most likely your flight will be zeroed out, cancelled, rebooked then either cancelled again or moved around all over the place.

not worth the stress.

worst customer support as well.

i would cancel for a refund and just go with another carrier, there is no guarantee they will not just cancel or reshuffle the schedules again and again like they have done many times this month.

from world class to worst airline of the year

fakecd Jul 7, 2022 9:02 am

this practice is outright scam at best. I'm saturated with anger because I issued T-class tickets for 4 of us for Dec flight to HND (one way) as we're migrating out of this @#$ hole HK. Long story short flights not for sale, they have nobody to fly their plane, and because they haven't "cancelled" it I can't even claim refund, with CX arguing they haven't "technically cancelled" my flights. This is utter garbage. Selling a ticket on flights with no intentioned to fly, and now that they zeroed out and refuse to acknowledge it's cancelled, and try to charge me US$170 USD each to cancel. This is not about being commercial but it's about being ethical.

CX is absolutely unreliable now. I have a certain 'must fly' trip, so I forked out SQ J (one way 20k ouch). Would say any foreign career will do fine/maintain reliable HK flight but CX, the 'home legacy career' what a joke, is utterly hopeless. There is not a chance in future (IF CX recover and IF HK opens and IF world hasn't forgot HK) I will spend a dime on this dog hog airline.

nomadabroad Jul 7, 2022 9:38 am

Originally Posted by fakecd (Post 34404461)
this practice is outright scam at best. I'm saturated with anger because I issued T-class tickets for 4 of us for Dec flight to HND (one way) as we're migrating out of this @#$ hole HK. Long story short flights not for sale, they have nobody to fly their plane, and because they haven't "cancelled" it I can't even claim refund, with CX arguing they haven't "technically cancelled" my flights. This is utter garbage. Selling a ticket on flights with no intentioned to fly, and now that they zeroed out and refuse to acknowledge it's cancelled, and try to charge me US$170 USD each to cancel. This is not about being commercial but it's about being ethical.

CX is absolutely unreliable now. I have a certain 'must fly' trip, so I forked out SQ J (one way 20k ouch). Would say any foreign career will do fine/maintain reliable HK flight but CX, the 'home legacy career' what a joke, is utterly hopeless. There is not a chance in future (IF CX recover and IF HK opens and IF world hasn't forgot HK) I will spend a dime on this dog hog airline.

exactly what happened to my LHR flight too, they won’t cancel it till last minute although it’s technically zeroed out and not for sale. They will argue they can’t offer refund or rebooking as flight not canceled etc but in reality just being cheap and inconsiderate as usual…

many on this thread will be quick to defend CX saying it’s due to inconsistent HK gov regs, covid, nothing CX can do etc but the fact of the matter is that we are talking about flights months and months from now -

they knew the operational risks and constrains but someone in ops had the stupid idea to start selling 3x daily Flights to LHR in October-December to basically scam passengers by selling way more flights than they were realistically ever going to operate….

and a few weeks later they start to zero out 2 out of 3 daily flight and won’t cancel it yet in the system….because obviously they don’t want to deal with all the refunds.

many will defend CX saying they’re doing their best etc well in my personal opinion doing your best in this circumstances means NOT over-selling / inflating your flight schedules to scam passengers when you never had the intention to fly all those flights in the first place

again we are talking flights months and months from
now so nothing to do with whatever’s been going on with the temporary suspension of flights due to covid or whatever other excuse you can make defending CX.

In summary - someone higher up had the brilliant idea to scam people by over-scheduling flights and now is refusing to deal with the repercussions

fakecd Jul 7, 2022 2:43 pm

i have written to CX saying this is fraudulent and i told them i will take this to the Consumer Council. others can defend CX, one or two rare instance is fine but when this is their standard procedure to sell products without intent on delivering it, i believe there is an issue. legality aside ethics is lacking big time.

Cambo Jul 7, 2022 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd (Post 34404461)

Well, you seem to have been hiding under a stone, the whole Covid time. CX was one of the very few airlines that did pay you back your cash for canceled flights, and timely. By far the majority of airlines around the world either gave you nothing, or a "voucher", which you could only spend under limited conditions and for tickets at elevated pricing. Please take off your sheer anger hat, the world is quite different from the fake one you are living in, mentally.

fakecd Jul 8, 2022 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 34406542)
Well, you seem to have been hiding under a stone, the whole Covid time. CX was one of the very few airlines that did pay you back your cash for canceled flights, and timely. By far the majority of airlines around the world either gave you nothing, or a "voucher", which you could only spend under limited conditions and for tickets at elevated pricing. Please take off your sheer anger hat, the world is quite different from the fake one you are living in, mentally.

@Cambo, i respect our varying prospective so i wont make it personal, i accept we see things around CX differently.

CX doing refunds during covid - not experienced but I didnt eve know CX were operating apart from cargo cuz their pax biz simply died when they fired all their staff shortsightedly (all of whom found better jobs thus not returning) so fortunately i didnt have the pleasure of booking CX flight during 20-21 as they had nothing to sell.

majority of airline around world - not sure as i chose not to travel during pandemic in 20-21 but did read a lot of bad press about refund practice. But at least these global airline, especially now (2022 onward) that pandemic has ended :p are offering a reliable business (i.e. they sell you if they can deliver, unlike being sold item i cant even claim refunds). and if i have confidence that aitline still exist in a year and in strong position (ex. SQ ring a bell) i am happy to take their voucher because i have good use for them

and finally, yes i live in different world - the world that has actually moved on from covid scams, unlike fake world CX continue to pretend to service :D

Cambo Jul 9, 2022 2:49 am

Originally Posted by fakecd (Post 34407052)
@Cambo, i respect our varying prospective so i wont make it personal, i accept we see things around CX differently.

CX doing refunds during covid - not experienced but I didnt eve know CX were operating apart from cargo cuz their pax biz simply died when they fired all their staff shortsightedly (all of whom found better jobs thus not returning) so fortunately i didnt have the pleasure of booking CX flight during 20-21 as they had nothing to sell.

majority of airline around world - not sure as i chose not to travel during pandemic in 20-21 but did read a lot of bad press about refund practice. But at least these global airline, especially now (2022 onward) that pandemic has ended :p are offering a reliable business (i.e. they sell you if they can deliver, unlike being sold item i cant even claim refunds). and if i have confidence that aitline still exist in a year and in strong position (ex. SQ ring a bell) i am happy to take their voucher because i have good use for them

and finally, yes i live in different world - the world that has actually moved on from covid scams, unlike fake world CX continue to pretend to service :D

Good to hear, you agree for at least 50%. Now the remaining, to 100%.

Where you consider it a scam, when CX simply doesn't know whether CX will be able to perform a flight in x-months (due to changing circumstances), though just to be sure, to avoid potentially bring more customers in trouble, zero out for new bookings, there is also another side to consider: It could very well be, the HK regulations change (again) that much, that the flight can go on anyway and bookings open up again.

Most airlines just let passengers book their flight during Covid-19, grabbing their money, until the very late moment, and then cancel the flight, and NOT refunding, or just a voucher, for which the passengers do have zero expectations, these can be used in a passenger suitable way.

There is very little "fake" about CX, they are subject to the chaos the China/HK governments creates. The latter, because the CPP does not want to alienate from the "loyal" voters (leaving little room, than to keep on striving for zero covid). The same fundamental reasons, the GOP doesn't dare to kick out Trump (afraid to lose the support from the diehard Trump supporters).

Maybe learn to understand, there is a completely different coin side, than the one printed on the inside of your head.

cmiller11101 Jul 11, 2022 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 34409671)
Maybe learn to understand, there is a completely different coin side, than the one printed on the inside of your head.

(bravo.)

jackr27 Jul 11, 2022 3:00 am

Hello everyone,

Appreciate this is crystal ball territory. I was considering booking flights with Cathay via HK to BKK from Madrid in October.

Flights are currently bookable on GF. Although I think I'd be correct in assuming flights to Madrid have not been taking place since 2020?

Is there really any realistic chance of these flights taking place - and if I was to book, but Cathay canceled the flights from Madrid, would they show any willingness to rebook via say CDG or LHR?

fakecd Jul 11, 2022 5:06 am

Originally Posted by jackr27 (Post 34414796)
Hello everyone,

Appreciate this is crystal ball territory. I was considering booking flights with Cathay via HK to BKK from Madrid in October.

Flights are currently bookable on GF. Although I think I'd be correct in assuming flights to Madrid have not been taking place since 2020?

Is there really any realistic chance of these flights taking place - and if I was to book, but Cathay canceled the flights from Madrid, would they show any willingness to rebook via say CDG or LHR?

do yourself a favor and fly with any other airlines which should be easy for BKK destination. At least if they sell you a ticket they will fly, most likely.

if you insist to fly on CX i suggest you check on airport website and sites like flightaware.com to see which flight has been operating and only book on that... or else you end up like me, cx made false promise,sold me ticket, they zeroed out and i still cant get my refund because they havent "cancel" yet

fakecd Jul 11, 2022 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd (Post 34405530)
i have written to CX saying this is fraudulent and i told them i will take this to the Consumer Council. others can defend CX, one or two rare instance is fine but when this is their standard procedure to sell products without intent on delivering it, i believe there is an issue. legality aside ethics is lacking big time.

I got a response (via phone) from CX HK based customer service after 2 biz days. (i.e. not the outsourced donkeys who has no authority at Asiamiles/CP loyalty or whatever those useless ppl are called). They "investigated"and agreed to cancel my flights and refund and "waive" the fees

i did write a sternly written (not a DYKWIA rant, rather a professional allegation of fraud) complaint and did specically mention my next escalation point to the HK consumer council, which prompted this. I am happy cuz i can pay 7x more $$$ to other airline (full fare vs redemption) than what i paid CX and have certainty to fly.