Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Holding redemption tickets on flights that no longer exist (SFO HKG DPS)

Old May 4, 22, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former-AA-EXP for many years-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*

I am holding redemption tickets on flights in August from SFO to HKG to DPS and back.... I keep expectng to receive an email from American (I booked via their miles program) stating these flights are cancelled, but the record is still there and accessible complete with seat assigments on Cathay's website under manage my booking. However these flights cannot be purchased and are not on the schedules on Google flights.

I assume Cathay is hoping they will be flying this schedule as the COVID situation improves and is waiting to cancel? Anyone else seen this? (As an aside, I am so very sad with how CX is suffering. I used to commute on that airline and feel a close bond with it.... I cannot believe the pinnacle of service has been reduced to hauling cargo.)

Thanks
Old May 4, 22, 8:27 am
HAF

I have a similar itinerary as well SFO-HKG-DPS J redemption with Alaska for early September - seems according to CX current schedule they will start flying to DPS in late October, so very likely my flights will get canceled but still nobody knows how things really progress in HK. Things have been opening up the last few weeks but not fast enough. I have a Plan B booked with UA award via Europe (SFO-MUC-BKK-DPS) or I will look for whatever options are available with Alaska redemption once CX officially cancels - or maybe if they allow it switch to CGK.
Old May 4, 22, 9:39 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goldengate View Post
I am holding redemption tickets on flights in August from SFO to HKG to DPS and back.... I keep expectng to receive an email from American (I booked via their miles program) stating these flights are cancelled, but the record is still there and accessible complete with seat assigments on Cathay's website under manage my booking. However these flights cannot be purchased and are not on the schedules on Google flights.

I assume Cathay is hoping they will be flying this schedule as the COVID situation improves and is waiting to cancel? Anyone else seen this? (As an aside, I am so very sad with how CX is suffering. I used to commute on that airline and feel a close bond with it.... I cannot believe the pinnacle of service has been reduced to hauling cargo.)

Thanks
CX has only firmed up their schedules through June at this point, everything after is just a placeholder. CX's published GDS timetables currently list three daily flights from SFO in August, which is obviously a joke at this point. (At least inventory is zeroed out on most days, so nobody can make new bookings at this point on flights that are unlikely to run.) In June, CX will only be flying to/from SFO four times.

It is extremely unlikely you will be able to fly on your itinerary in August and if you have to be there, I'd make a backup booking as soon as possible.
Old May 4, 22, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former-AA-EXP for many years-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Thank you... yes I booked a backup on JAL double connect... sigh.... won't compare to Cathay, sadly. And I had to book backup for later in August so the record wouldn't risk auto cancel since you can't hold two conflicting itineraries at the same time on AA.
Old May 4, 22, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
won't compare to Cathay, sadly.
JAL is every bit as good as CX. It is just more of a Japanese style than the western style norm on CX.
GordonMacPherson likes this.
Old May 4, 22, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
JAL is every bit as good as CX. It is just more of a Japanese style than the western style norm on CX.
That is good to hear... I read that the J product on JAL is inferior to CX? I am sure the service level will be amazing.
Old May 4, 22, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
That is good to hear... I read that the J product on JAL is inferior to CX? I am sure the service level will be amazing.
Nope. Some people (myself included, but really on the fence) may even say it's better. The only thing in JL that truly sux is their IFE.
Old May 4, 22, 6:48 pm

I gave up on my JNB-HKG-SFO in early September. Luckily I was able to find space in QR J around the same time. I hope you get to fly, but it's looking more and more unlikely. Glad to hear you have a backup.
Old May 4, 22, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I prefer JAL over CX for the last 5 years. CX had reduced some catering and other stuff in that time.
Old May 11, 22, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Update: not a surprise, but CX just cancelled HKG-DPS and DPS-HKG in August. My "backup" reservations on JAL just became my only reservation. Glad I have it and I'm excited to smell the sweet airs of Bali again soon.
dw likes this.
Old May 11, 22, 9:46 pm
HAF

Update: not a surprise, but CX just cancelled HKG-DPS and DPS-HKG in August. My "backup" reservations on JAL just became my only reservation. Glad I have it and I'm excited to smell the sweet airs of Bali again soon.
Same for mine in September - just got the cancellation notice. I guess it would be the loooooong way around for us - SFO - MUC - BKK - DPS on UA/TG and same on the way back. But at least I am glad from what I am reading that Bali is getting slowly reopened and TG is not a bad way to get there.
Old May 12, 22, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I have a early Sept for JFK to HKG on CX (booked with Alaskan Miles). Did the cancellation email come from the marketing or operating carrier? I know the schedule is not really firmed up for September yet with CX (EF shows 0 seats available for so many flights), but I would imagine they are going to have atleast one flight daily from JFK to HKG by September if reopening proceeds. If that happens, you think I would have any luck getting CX to move me to the one flight that is still operating if my flight was cancelled?
Old May 12, 22, 12:31 pm
HAF

Originally Posted by Youngmiler View Post
I have a early Sept for JFK to HKG on CX (booked with Alaskan Miles). Did the cancellation email come from the marketing or operating carrier?
no email was sent - I noticed it under my trips on the web site that it has been changed
Old May 12, 22, 6:56 pm

CX changed my MAY 2022 flight back in Dec 2021. They downgraded me to econ but did not explicitly tell me. I found out by checking the seat number. What a dirty trick. I canceled the trip.
Old May 13, 22, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Got the email today that my flight in Sept was cancelled, however they re-accommodated me on another flight the same day in the same cabin. Very happy with the communication and resolution.

Search this Thread