Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Extending Miles- New Promotion (April 2022)

Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum

Hi All,

It does not look like it has been posted here- pardon me if it has been.

I have close to 200K miles that are expiring this month. After contacting Asiamiles, I am told that there is a new promotional offer starting in April. Link Here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...NAV_OFFERS_4_2

My travels have basically ended since covid and don't see them coming up anytime soon. I am in US, so 30K asiamiles conversion sounds pretty expensive to me via the available partners, if I am reading that correctly (For example 15 AMEX points = 1 Asia miles!!).

EDIT: It must have shown me HK converstion rate (15:1). Now that I have updated the country, the conversion rate is 1:1. Which sounds a lot reasonable! My bad.

Has anyone received similar promotions?

I am thinking of booking some flights at the end of the year utilizing as many miles as possible. What would happen if I may have to cancel the flights (god forbid another covid wave) after April (my current expiry) or June (promotion expiry)? Would the miles be auto-extended?

Last edited by Nile_US; Apr 4, 2022 at 3:41 pm
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:54 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Nile_US
What would happen if I may have to cancel the flights (god forbid another covid wave) after April (my current expiry)
Refunded to you as April 2023 miles.
Nile_US likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:11 am

Hi All,

It does not look like it has been posted here- pardon me if it has been.

I have close to 200K miles that are expiring this month. After contacting Asiamiles, I am told that there is a new promotional offer starting in April. Link Here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...NAV_OFFERS_4_2

My travels have basically ended since covid and don't see them coming up anytime soon. I am in US, so 30K asiamiles conversion sounds pretty expensive to me via the available partners, if I am reading that correctly (For example 15 AMEX points = 1 Asia miles!!).

EDIT: It must have shown me HK converstion rate (15:1). Now that I have updated the country, the conversion rate is 1:1. Which sounds a lot reasonable! My bad.

Has anyone received similar promotions?
I received a similar promotion. In my case, it's 50K miles that expire early next year. Moving 30K miles (around $300 or so in Membership Rewards) seems a little high to me for 50K renewal, so I'm undecided. In your case (200K miles), it seems clearer that this is worthwhile.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prancer
I received a similar promotion. In my case, it's 50K miles that expire early next year. Moving 30K miles (around $300 or so in Membership Rewards) seems a little high to me for 50K renewal, so I'm undecided. In your case (200K miles), it seems clearer that this is worthwhile.
I looked at the options and looks like only certain credit card transfers are eligible. It would be difficult for me to now open the card and be able to accumulate and transfer the points to miles to qualify. I talked with an agent over chat and they have informed me that my miles will be extended without having to do the promotion. Just in case this helps anyone.
Prancer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Refunded to you as April 2023 miles.
Thanks. I need to read fine print on this. If you have something handy, I would appreciate it.
I want to know:
1. Do the miles get extended if I cancel without covid cancellation from the airline, etc.?
2. any other charges/change fees? I assume they will be waived if cancelled by airline, but what if I cancel?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:25 am

1. Do the miles get extended if I cancel without covid cancellation from the airline, etc.?
2. any other charges/change fees? I assume they will be waived if cancelled by airline, but what if I cancel?
12,000 miles/US$120 if you cancel not airline cancel
Nile_US likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:21 am

I looked at the options and looks like only certain credit card transfers are eligible. It would be difficult for me to now open the card and be able to accumulate and transfer the points to miles to qualify. I talked with an agent over chat and they have informed me that my miles will be extended without having to do the promotion. Just in case this helps anyone.
So Membership Rewards transfers aren't eligible?

Did you just ask the CSR to do the extension and they agreed immediately with no conditions?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
12,000 miles/US$120 if you cancel not airline cancel
Thank you, again!
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prancer
So Membership Rewards transfers aren't eligible?

Did you just ask the CSR to do the extension and they agreed immediately with no conditions?

No, for example. I have a lot of rewards on Marriott or IHG which I could have, and the CSR said no, that is not acceptable.

It did take a little complaining from my side for her to grant me extension, but not too bad.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:02 am

I have 400k Asiamiles expiring this and next May, and jumped on the offer without realising how bad the conversion rate is. Done a 30k Asiamiles conversion and transferred into my account last Friday, but still have not got the existing expiry dates scrapped.

Guess I will give it another week and see what would happen.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
it's a pretty pathetic offer living to the name of cathay pathetic. 30k-40 Asiamiles to be transferred into a sinking airline that will be bankrupt anytime soon is a robbery. that's how bad their cashflow is, to sell the points to finance partners to survive longer.

I had petty 46k Asiamiles expiring and not going to invest/put a single miles to them just to extend this. I am forced to apply for a random credit card (HK members can apply SCB ripoff mastercard to get this offer) and thankfully I'm departing HK permanently (goodbye CX and HK) later in year so impact on my credit file is irrelavant.

Pretty lame. every other airlines i can think of have preserved points / extended status and that's why they are flying again (SQ, anyone?)
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by fakecd
it's a pretty pathetic offer living to the name of cathay pathetic. 30k-40 Asiamiles to be transferred into a sinking airline that will be bankrupt anytime soon is a robbery. that's how bad their cashflow is, to sell the points to finance partners to survive longer.

I had petty 46k Asiamiles expiring and not going to invest/put a single miles to them just to extend this. I am forced to apply for a random credit card (HK members can apply SCB ripoff mastercard to get this offer) and thankfully I'm departing HK permanently (goodbye CX and HK) later in year so impact on my credit file is irrelavant.

Pretty lame. every other airlines i can think of have preserved points / extended status and that's why they are flying again (SQ, anyone?)
You seem to have been hit pretty hard by all the perfect things going on in Hong Kong. The same as Cathay Pacific. Please take care to blame the ones who are at fault with this and not the other victims, trying to make the best of it.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:29 pm

Why not make it simple? Book a PEY Flexi HKG-AMS ticket using miles plus cash, cancel the ticket (no cancellation fee as per fare rules) after the original mileage expiry date. You miles got extended and cash go back to your original form of payment.

Hope it helps.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Donkitravel
Why not make it simple? Book a PEY Flexi HKG-AMS ticket using miles plus cash, cancel the ticket (no cancellation fee as per fare rules) after the original mileage expiry date. You miles got extended and cash go back to your original form of payment.

Hope it helps.
Some people just don’t like doing things the manufacturer didn’t tell them to do.

Talking to the manufacturer in this case takes 6 times longer than the workaround you suggested (which I believe is effective, and will use in next batch of family expiries on 31 August).
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:47 am

30k to save my 23k miles doesn't seem worth it. I have another 120k and who knows when I'll get to travel again. Anyone have any good redemptions from their crappy online mall or should I just donate them to charity?

Edit: got a ps5 controller. Nothing else seemed remotely worth using miles on. Pretty damned expensive controller but whatever.

Last edited by corpgator; Apr 30, 2022 at 1:00 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.