FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Best way to burn points without flying? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2062224-best-way-burn-points-without-flying.html)

Sohan Dec 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Best way to burn points without flying?

What is the best way to burn points without flying? I tried to get my parents flights from LHR-BKK with no luck and no Cathay flights showing up and have 400k points I need to burn. I can't fly myself as it's not easy to get back into Thailand so I can't use it within Asia myself too.

tfung Dec 17, 2021 3:10 am

Have you looked here yet?

https://lifestyle.asiamiles.com/en

HarbourGent Dec 17, 2021 5:17 am

Did you just check Cathay or did you look at other One World airlines? I thought BA was guaranteeing some award seats on every flight or some such, so you might be able to use the Asia Miles for a London to Bangkok ticket if your parents don't insist on flying Cathay.

Globaliser Dec 17, 2021 5:34 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent (Post 33820364)
Did you just check Cathay or did you look at other One World airlines? I thought BA was guaranteeing some award seats on every flight or some such, so you might be able to use the Asia Miles for a London to Bangkok ticket if your parents don't insist on flying Cathay.

There aren't any BA flights from London to Bangkok. But QR might be an option.

unfrequentflyer Dec 31, 2021 11:56 pm

The question is if you have a deadline when you have to burn the miles. You can always wait for BA to resume flights to BKK

eponymous_coward Jan 1, 2022 9:47 pm

AsiaMiles aren’t unreasonable for some redemptions. I spent this summer and fall burning them on SEA-LHR nonstops on AA and BA in J. At 61k the prices are similar to AA (57.5k on both AA and BA) and AS (57.5k/60k for AA/BA). Since these miles were acquired with transfer bonuses the net cost in AMEX MR was around 52k AMEX.

fakecd Jan 2, 2022 8:21 pm

i doubt there are any way to transfer via site like points.com even at steep haircut?

Sohan Jan 2, 2022 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer (Post 33859863)
The question is if you have a deadline when you have to burn the miles. You can always wait for BA to resume flights to BKK

They've been cancelled until Oct 2022 :(

beach86 Jan 6, 2022 1:10 am

I am in the same position. Also just relocated to BKK from HKG. Trying to book flights BKK-JFK in Jun/ Jul for 200k expiring this month but completely zeroed out.

unfrequentflyer Jan 6, 2022 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Sohan (Post 33865712)
They've been cancelled until Oct 2022 :(

That is for BA, right?

Sohan Jan 6, 2022 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer (Post 33876753)
That is for BA, right?

Yes only BA I believe.

unfrequentflyer Jan 7, 2022 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Sohan (Post 33879061)
Yes only BA I believe.

If it is just BA, then it is not due to pandemic. It is political

unfrequentflyer Jan 7, 2022 12:37 am

Originally Posted by beach86 (Post 33875801)
I am in the same position. Also just relocated to BKK from HKG. Trying to book flights BKK-JFK in Jun/ Jul for 200k expiring this month but completely zeroed out.

There is no chance in hell you can use your Asia Miles for ticket this year.

lost_in_translation Jan 7, 2022 12:38 am

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer (Post 33879165)

Lol. Great reasoning there. I’m sure the U.K. has direct control over BA’s flight planning and is also seeking to sever all ties with Thailand.

sxc Jan 8, 2022 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer (Post 33879165)

I don’t think LHR-BKK flights are anything to do with the HK political situation.