Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC status extensions to end of 2023 - EASY

Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

CX status extension details

The way I read it, for those stuck overseas, 2 sectors on AA BA QF will renew to Dec 31, 2023
Old Dec 12, 2021, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Correct.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:34 pm

Easy for those overseas - extremely hard for those HK-based, given constantly changing (for the worse) quarantine restrictions!
hessbo likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by CX HK
Easy for those overseas - extremely hard for those HK-based, given constantly changing (for the worse) quarantine restrictions!
Which would make sense if it was hard to travel internationally abroad, and easy to travel anywhere on a plane from HK. Whoever is in charge of the MP program clearly isn't aware that the inverse is true.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave510
Which would make sense if it was hard to travel internationally abroad, and easy to travel anywhere on a plane from HK. Whoever is in charge of the MP program clearly isn't aware that the inverse is true.
Don't you just need to do a pile of shopping in Hong Kong? Or, arguably, just take out a new card at the correct moment?
Earn miles on a Cathay Pacific or an Asia Miles co-branded credit cards 11, 12, 13
  • Earn 25,000 miles on any Standard Chartered Cathay Mastercard or 
  • Earn 15,000 miles on other co-branded credit card 14
12. Promotion miles earned from co-branded credit card, finance partners credit cards or banking products are eligible. 
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Does UOs flycation count?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Don't you just need to do a pile of shopping in Hong Kong? Or, arguably, just take out a new card at the correct moment?
Only if you want their cobranded card. Otherwise you're SOL.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:36 am

Technically yes, but it's significant spending - probably around 6 figures (HKD 100,000) of spending to earn those miles. Which raises 2 issues: 1) Asia Miles are not worth much at the moment with no travel, everyone has stockpiled miles with no use and there most likely will be devaluations in the future, and 2) for 100k spending, there are way better cards out there so the opportunity cost could be anywhere from 2% to 5% or even 10% cash back.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Technically yes, but it's significant spending - probably around 6 figures (HKD 100,000) of spending to earn those miles. Which raises 2 issues: 1) Asia Miles are not worth much at the moment with no travel, everyone has stockpiled miles with no use and there most likely will be devaluations in the future, and 2) for 100k spending, there are way better cards out there so the opportunity cost could be anywhere from 2% to 5% or even 10% cash back.
Exactly, with a cashback card I can buy any ticket with better terms.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
Exactly, with a cashback card I can buy any ticket with better terms.
And there I was, thinking that in the ostentatious money-spending Mecca that is Hong Kong, $100K of shopping was a trivial sum ...

Anyway, slightly less frivolously, I was wondering about qualifying by including a lower welcome bonus level, if you actually only need 25,000 miles to trigger the status extension. But as in all of these things, if you're not flying then there's a real question as to why you'd want to put in a great deal of effort to maintain your status.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And there I was, thinking that in the ostentatious money-spending Mecca that is Hong Kong, $100K of shopping was a trivial sum ...

Anyway, slightly less frivolously, I was wondering about qualifying by including a lower welcome bonus level, if you actually only need 25,000 miles to trigger the status extension. But as in all of these things, if you're not flying then there's a real question as to why you'd want to put in a great deal of effort to maintain your status.
Depending where you dump that $100k you can always do better than Asian Miles.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Retail loyalties by chains, common ownership or online shopping will earn you more that the equivalent ticket redemption value.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:02 am

Does anyone know what is classed as a Co-branded card these days?

SCB - yes

i assume the Amex explorer is no longer a Co branded card?

is there any more in Hong Kong?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending where you dump that $100k you can always do better than Asian Miles.
Retail loyalties by chains, common ownership or online shopping will earn you more that the equivalent ticket redemption value.
I have no doubt. But if the object of the exercise is to maintain status, and you can't fly ...
Cryofern likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by twonga
Does anyone know what is classed as a Co-branded card these days?

SCB - yes

i assume the Amex explorer is no longer a Co branded card?

is there any more in Hong Kong?
Any card that uses the CX / AM brand name - which currently is only the SCB card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.