Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC status extensions to end of 2023 - EASY

MPC status extensions to end of 2023 - EASY

Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:34 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,649
MPC status extensions to end of 2023 - EASY

CX status extension details

The way I read it, for those stuck overseas, 2 sectors on AA BA QF will renew to Dec 31, 2023
tentseller is offline  
Old Dec 12, 2021, 9:29 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: 048′24″N 17636′59″W
Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Posts: 1,206
Correct.
deadinabsentia is offline  
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:34 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,308
Easy for those overseas - extremely hard for those HK-based, given constantly changing (for the worse) quarantine restrictions!
hessbo likes this.
CX HK is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by CX HK
Easy for those overseas - extremely hard for those HK-based, given constantly changing (for the worse) quarantine restrictions!
Which would make sense if it was hard to travel internationally abroad, and easy to travel anywhere on a plane from HK. Whoever is in charge of the MP program clearly isn't aware that the inverse is true.
Dave510 is online now  
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:40 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 38,642
Originally Posted by Dave510
Originally Posted by CX HK
Easy for those overseas - extremely hard for those HK-based, given constantly changing (for the worse) quarantine restrictions!
Which would make sense if it was hard to travel internationally abroad, and easy to travel anywhere on a plane from HK. Whoever is in charge of the MP program clearly isn't aware that the inverse is true.
Don't you just need to do a pile of shopping in Hong Kong? Or, arguably, just take out a new card at the correct moment?
Earn miles on a Cathay Pacific or an Asia Miles co-branded credit cards 11, 12, 13
  • Earn 25,000 miles on any Standard Chartered Cathay Mastercard or 
  • Earn 15,000 miles on other co-branded credit card 14
12. Promotion miles earned from co-branded credit card, finance partners credit cards or banking products are eligible. 
Globaliser is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:03 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 564
Does UOs flycation count?
SLGO is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:14 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Don't you just need to do a pile of shopping in Hong Kong? Or, arguably, just take out a new card at the correct moment?
Only if you want their cobranded card. Otherwise you're SOL.
Dave510 is online now  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:36 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,308
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Don't you just need to do a pile of shopping in Hong Kong? Or, arguably, just take out a new card at the correct moment?
Technically yes, but it's significant spending - probably around 6 figures (HKD 100,000) of spending to earn those miles. Which raises 2 issues: 1) Asia Miles are not worth much at the moment with no travel, everyone has stockpiled miles with no use and there most likely will be devaluations in the future, and 2) for 100k spending, there are way better cards out there so the opportunity cost could be anywhere from 2% to 5% or even 10% cash back.
CX HK is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:31 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,649
Originally Posted by CX HK
Technically yes, but it's significant spending - probably around 6 figures (HKD 100,000) of spending to earn those miles. Which raises 2 issues: 1) Asia Miles are not worth much at the moment with no travel, everyone has stockpiled miles with no use and there most likely will be devaluations in the future, and 2) for 100k spending, there are way better cards out there so the opportunity cost could be anywhere from 2% to 5% or even 10% cash back.
Exactly, with a cashback card I can buy any ticket with better terms.
tentseller is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:44 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 38,642
Originally Posted by tentseller
Originally Posted by CX HK
Technically yes, but it's significant spending - probably around 6 figures (HKD 100,000) of spending to earn those miles. Which raises 2 issues: 1) Asia Miles are not worth much at the moment with no travel, everyone has stockpiled miles with no use and there most likely will be devaluations in the future, and 2) for 100k spending, there are way better cards out there so the opportunity cost could be anywhere from 2% to 5% or even 10% cash back.
Exactly, with a cashback card I can buy any ticket with better terms.
And there I was, thinking that in the ostentatious money-spending Mecca that is Hong Kong, $100K of shopping was a trivial sum ...

Anyway, slightly less frivolously, I was wondering about qualifying by including a lower welcome bonus level, if you actually only need 25,000 miles to trigger the status extension. But as in all of these things, if you're not flying then there's a real question as to why you'd want to put in a great deal of effort to maintain your status.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:32 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,649
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And there I was, thinking that in the ostentatious money-spending Mecca that is Hong Kong, $100K of shopping was a trivial sum ...

Anyway, slightly less frivolously, I was wondering about qualifying by including a lower welcome bonus level, if you actually only need 25,000 miles to trigger the status extension. But as in all of these things, if you're not flying then there's a real question as to why you'd want to put in a great deal of effort to maintain your status.
Depending where you dump that $100k you can always do better than Asian Miles.
tentseller is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:33 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,649
Retail loyalties by chains, common ownership or online shopping will earn you more that the equivalent ticket redemption value.
tentseller is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:02 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 144
Does anyone know what is classed as a Co-branded card these days?

SCB - yes

i assume the Amex explorer is no longer a Co branded card?

is there any more in Hong Kong?
twonga is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:05 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 38,642
Originally Posted by tentseller
Depending where you dump that $100k you can always do better than Asian Miles.
Originally Posted by tentseller
Retail loyalties by chains, common ownership or online shopping will earn you more that the equivalent ticket redemption value.
I have no doubt. But if the object of the exercise is to maintain status, and you can't fly ...
Cryofern likes this.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:42 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,308
Originally Posted by twonga
Does anyone know what is classed as a Co-branded card these days?

SCB - yes

i assume the Amex explorer is no longer a Co branded card?

is there any more in Hong Kong?
Any card that uses the CX / AM brand name - which currently is only the SCB card.
CX HK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.