Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC status extensions to end of 2023 - EASY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MPC status extensions to end of 2023 - EASY

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:13 pm

If I don't extend my DM by 31 Dec, will I be dropped to green given I haven't flown with CX the whole 2022 (trapped in the mainland)? Or is it a soft landing to GO?

Their website says "Your status will be determined according to the Status Points you accrue in 2022 as well as the points carried over from 2021 year-end balance. The normal rules for status renewal and upgrade apply." Not sure what that means.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Austfella
If I don't extend my DM by 31 Dec, will I be dropped to green given I haven't flown with CX the whole 2022 (trapped in the mainland)? Or is it a soft landing to GO?

Their website says "Your status will be determined according to the Status Points you accrue in 2022 as well as the points carried over from 2021 year-end balance. The normal rules for status renewal and upgrade apply." Not sure what that means.
Everyone's membership year was reset to calendar year at the end of 2021, and at that point, any club points accrued in the previous membership year was rolled over to 2022. My example - I had a membership year from Feb. 2021 to Jan. 2022, so basically it became Feb. 2021 to Dec. 2022. That's what the website is talking about.

If you had no oneworld flight activities in 2021, either, based on the T&C, you will be dropped to GR. If you had activities in 2021, it depends on when your membership year was and whether you had 1200 status points (chances are not I guess).

According to https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_....html?switch=Y, under "Status Points and Membership Status,"

Status Points will expire and will be reset to zero at the end of each Member’s Membership Period if the Member has not accrued the required number of Status Points to progress to the next immediate Status or maintain his/her current Status (except Green Status) during the Member’s Membership Period and the Member’s Status will be reset to Green Status.
Even if you are trapped in Mainland China, you can get your DM extended by redeeming on 2 CA or ZH domestic flights using AM and taking them before 31DEC (but not by taking CA or ZH revenue flights). There are also other ways to extend. See https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...r-renewal.html

PS: The verbiage doesn't make sense to me actually. It would imply, a DM earning 900 status points, for example, be dropped to GR instead of GO.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Good morning / afternoon / evening / night (Wherever you are),

Has anyone already been confirmed renewal of their status until Dec 2023? I know technically probably not, given that the T&Cs say this will only happen in Dec...

I am simply a bit nervous, as I don't see myself flying CX this year, I have flown QF but not in a fare bucket that counts, and I don't have any credit card of theirs nor an inclination to spend HKD5,000 at stuff that I don't want or need at inflated prices.

Having said that, I did take two award flights with a OW partner airline using my AsiaMiles, so I should be covered... Just wanting to make sure, of course!
Hi NetJets, which OW partner airline did you fly with for your two award flights?

I think I’m sorta in the same boat as you.. I’ve redeemed AM for two sectors on Alaska, but it’s “operated by Horizon Air as AlaskaHorizon”.

I spoke with two different agents and they are both sort of sure Horizon Air will count (for the purposes of status extension)..
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Central90210
Hi NetJets, which OW partner airline did you fly with for your two award flights?
Hi Central,

my flights were with AY Finnair, and operated by their “proper” airline and not some random subsidiary that should count but sometimes vexingly doesn’t, so not really comparable to your own situation.

Hope they will recognise your Horizon Air flights for you!
Central90210 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Hi Central,

my flights were with AY Finnair, and operated by their “proper” airline and not some random subsidiary that should count but sometimes vexingly doesn’t, so not really comparable to your own situation.

Hope they will recognise your Horizon Air flights for you!
Thanks! AY definitely counts then (I sure hope), fingers crossed for “AlaskaHorizon”..
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Does anyone know if non-status point earning fare classes on OW airlines are eligible for the 2 sectors?

I’m thinking of booking a MH return domestic flight in Economy, but couldn’t seem to price the flights in a status point earning fare class.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:59 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Does anyone know if non-status point earning fare classes on OW airlines are eligible for the 2 sectors?

I’m thinking of booking a MH return domestic flight in Economy, but couldn’t seem to price the flights in a status point earning fare class.
I checked on this previously with Malaysia Airlines since I'm in KL

Extending your membership status - Malaysia Airlines Flight

I called Cathay CS and I had to have booked on Malaysia Airlines in the follow fare classes

Economy: YBHKM
Business: FAPJCDZ

Which at the time the flights I was looking for on MH didn't have any economy classes above available. I haven't checked recently though.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blum81
I checked on this previously with Malaysia Airlines since I'm in KL

Extending your membership status - Malaysia Airlines Flight

I called Cathay CS and I had to have booked on Malaysia Airlines in the follow fare classes

Economy: YBHKM
Business: FAPJCDZ

Which at the time the flights I was looking for on MH didn't have any economy classes above available. I haven't checked recently though.
thanks for the reply! That’s very helpful information…
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
I think I’m sorta in the same boat as you.. I’ve redeemed AM for two sectors on Alaska, but it’s “operated by Horizon Air as AlaskaHorizon”.

I spoke with two different agents and they are both sort of sure Horizon Air will count (for the purposes of status extension)..
Horizon is a oneworld affiliate and mentioned on https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...laska-airlines. You will be fine as long as these 2 flights are before 31DEC2022 and in an eligible class (so, basically, not in X class)

Important Notes
1. Asia Miles can be earned only in eligible fare classes on flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air.
The page also shows all eligible classes.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Sep 18, 2022 at 2:52 am
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX Gold

Last edited by boybi; Sep 22, 2022 at 1:42 am
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Austfella
Anyone know whether the unused mid-tier benefits will be extended upon their expiration? I have a few upgrade vouchers and companion gold card that expire in Sept/Dec this year. All accrued pre-COVID.
Does anybody have an answer to this? One of the Manila call centre agents told me if your status is extended to December 2023 then the mid-tier benefits would be as well but I have little confidence that the Manila agents know what they are talking about so looking for confirmation from someone else.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
I've done more than enough sectors throughout 2022 to have status extended to end 2023 but not reflected in my account yet. My bookable upgrades (most valuable mid tier benefit I think) were not extended past their recent use by date despite attempts to use them (was able to use one on ultra short haul only).
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Deleted duplicate

Last edited by Arbeysix; Sep 27, 2022 at 2:30 am Reason: Duplicate post
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Arbeysix
I've done more than enough sectors throughout 2022 to have status extended to end 2023 but not reflected in my account yet.
CX said the extension would only happen in Dec. 2022 or Dec. 2023.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...r-renewal.html

When will my membership status be extended for the 2023 membership status extension?
If you achieved one of the four conditions within the specified periods, your membership status will be extended to 31 December 2023 between December 2022 and January 2023.​
Arbeysix likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:22 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
https://flights.cathaypacific.com/en...es-flight.html

Does anyone know or can confirm if I book say a KUL to SIN flight via Malaysia Airlines using this promo if it will extend my membership? I would 'assume' it would qualify me for point #3?

Fly 2 sectors6, 7, 8  on
  • Flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific on eligible fare classes9; or
  • Eligible fare classes or fare types with our oneworld alliance airlines; or
  • Asia Miles redemption flights based on departure date10
It's 20k asiamiles to book the flight with return, which I don't mind paying if it'll extend my membership to the end of 2023. I know the promo says to and from HK but it seems like I'm able to book a KUL to SIN via Malaysia Airlines on the promo.

Edit: realized the rewards search engine I'm using isn't related to this promo since i can still book rewards flights past the promo end.

Last edited by blum81; Sep 29, 2022 at 6:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.