Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The CX Covid-19 Vaccination Lucky Draw

Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:35 am
feh
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana

Just got the following email and yes I entered, but let's face it, in the unlikely event that I win, odds are I'd get a back-end return to somewhere that I'd have little or no inclination of visiting, as when discretionary travel does restart, elderly relatives would be the priority.

Also, no word on who'd be covering expenses - and time - for any continuing HK quarantine requirement.

I know I do tend to be cynical, but I struggle to see how this won't backfire in PR terms. Or have I missed something?To support the Hong Kong SAR Government's COVID-19 vaccination programme, we're holding a lucky draw for 25,000 free tickets to over 50 destinations worldwide. All you need to do is get vaccinated and enter for a chance to win.

Prize: One Economy round-trip ticket to a surprise Cathay Pacific destination
There will be 25,000 winners and all the tickets are sponsored by Airport Authority Hong Kong.

Who can enter
As a Marco Polo Club member, you can enter our lucky draw before 30 September 2021, provided you meet the following requirements:

12 years old or above.

Hong Kong SAR resident with a valid Hong Kong ID card.

You must have received two vaccination doses administered on or before 30 September 2021 as part of the Hong Kong SAR Government's COVID-19 Vaccination Programme. If you have previously been infected with COVID-19, you will be eligible after receiving one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine on or before 30 September 2021.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:45 am

I haven't been able to register for the HK Express lucky draw via signing in using Asia Miles. Does anyone know if an HK Express account is required?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:14 am

I kinda remember they mentioned that once you win it they will let you redeem when the situation is stabilized, ie when quarantine rule is relaxed or something like that.
feh likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:40 pm
feh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by patrickw
I kinda remember they mentioned that once you win it they will let you redeem when the situation is stabilized, ie when quarantine rule is relaxed or something like that.
That would make sense, just so long as it's once there's no quarantine at either end and we've had time to do the essential travelling first
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:42 pm
feh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CX HK
I haven't been able to register for the HK Express lucky draw via signing in using Asia Miles. Does anyone know if an HK Express account is required?
Mine was a MarcoPolo Club email for CX. Hadn't realised there was a HK Express one too
Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
So, it's been a long long time, but the day of usage has finally arrived. I get the feeling that Cathay has messed this up and they're going to get a lot of publicity and flak (crossed fingers) and will need to loosen their restrictions. I won two tickets to BKK in economy for my family.
Exploring to book using the ticket just now, bearing in mind you only really have a short selection of flights since the six month window (for the near haul destinations) and that includes Christmas, Chinese New Year and Easter (aka no availability), problems include:
  1. Only availability mid-week remains on a few dates in the designated fare class
  2. There are of course limited flights a day/week and there aren't any new schedules being loaded yet
  3. There is a maximum stay period of 1 week (an error message occurs with an 8 day flight... though this is unpublished.
  4. And in my +1's case the email ended up in spam as well...
It get worse when you try and then book it, your "free" ticket has the following tax breakdown for 1 Adult:
Fare : HKD1,850 Discount -HKD 1,850
Carrier surcharges: HKD596
Other charges and fees: HKD431
So your saving is from HKD2,877 to HKD$1,027 and half is going to Cathay with the fuel surcharge....

So what remains is essentially a Monday - Thursday stay or similar for a low cost price, so not that attractive for many. I'd rather have had HKD1850 off any fare to the city.

Originally Posted by Rules
How to book your prize ticket
1. Click “Add a discount code” and enter your ticket redemption code.
2. Input your destination’s 3-letter airport code, as listed in the ticket redemption code email that we’ve sent you.
3. Select your travel date.
Tickets are valid for six months from the issue date of the ticket redemption code email for the following destinations, under "N' class/"Essential" fare:
Bangkok/ Cebu/ Denpasar (Bali)/ Fukuoka/ Hanoi/ Ho Chi Minh City/ Kuala Lumpur/ Osaka/ Penang/ Phnom Penh/ Sapporo/ Seoul/ Singapore/ Tokyo(Narita)
Tickets are valid for twelve months from the issue date of the ticket redemption code email for the following destinations, under "M' class/"Essential" fare:
Amsterdam/ Auckland/ Boston/ Brisbane/ Dubai/ Frankfurt/ Kathmandu/ London (Heathrow)/ Los Angeles/ Madrid/ Manchester/ Melbourne/ Milan/ New York (JFK)/ Paris/ Perth/ San Francisco/ Sydney/ Tel Aviv/ Toronto/ Vancouver/ Zurich
(subject to flight resumption and capacity)
4. Click “Search flights” button.
5. Please ensure that the passport name used during ticket redemption matches the one used during Lucky Draw registration. Please also note that the ticket redemption code must be used within one month of the date of the ticket redemption code email.
6. Please note that you will be liable for any taxes applicable to the ticket, and any applicable surcharges, fees, rebooking fees or no show fees.

Last edited by littlevoices; Oct 24, 2022 at 12:45 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.