Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will CX stop flying because of crew quarantine?

Will CX stop flying because of crew quarantine?

Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Thanks for the advice above, I'm definitely going on CX. I'd prefer F, but wouldn't we all.
JL could be an option but I think it's a long layover in TYO and the Covid test would need to be done within 72 hours of the TYO-HKG leg.

Sounds like a ton of trouble either way - why bother coming back? lol
Old Feb 19, 2021, 9:42 am

Seems that CX's cargo business is much less affected:
https://www.straitstimes.com/busines...oid-quarantine

There are some exemptions to the new quarantine restrictions, according to an internal Cathay memo seen by Bloomberg News. They include flights to and from mainland China, Taiwan and Macau, some flights with a layover in Anchorage, Alaska, and so-called turnaround flights where crew do not leave the aircraft and no passengers are on board returning to Hong Kong.Volunteers on Boeing Co. 747s will operate a combination of Europe, Middle East, India and United States routes, while those on Boeing 777s and Airbus SE planes will fly mostly cargo-only to long-haul destinations, as well as passenger flights.

Pilots who do not volunteer for the closed-loop plan will likely mostly operate turnaround cargo flights within single flight duty periods, according to the memo. Some of these flights will require more crew as duty periods may be extended on account of in-flight rest.

This means that CX can still operate long-haul cargo-only flights with more than two sets of crews.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:33 am

It appears that CX has updated its schedule today for 28-31 March 2021 ONLY, not April. NRT is not operating on any of those 4 days - don't know if it indicates CX does not intend to fly to NRT in summer 2021.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It seems that UO starts flying to HND end-March.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AA: EXP
Originally Posted by ma930407
It appears that CX has updated its schedule today for 28-31 March 2021 ONLY, not April. NRT is not operating on any of those 4 days - don't know if it indicates CX does not intend to fly to NRT in summer 2021.
For February and March, NRT flights are 2x weekly on Thursdays and Saturdays. March 28-31 happened to be Sunday - Wednesday.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by silanfa
For February and March, NRT flights are 2x weekly on Thursdays and Saturdays. March 28-31 happened to be Sunday - Wednesday.
I see, thanks. It seems like CX is making very limited change to its flight schedule for summer 2021. It looks like schedules after 28 March 2021 look similar to present schedules.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:51 am

As expected, the HKSAR government would like to lift the crew quarantine requirements if enough crews are vaccinated. Meanwhile, the negotiation between the government and FedEx are still ongoing but both sides have made some progress.
https://www.scmp.com/coronavirus/gre...l-be-lifted-if

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.