Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will CX stop flying because of crew quarantine?

Will CX stop flying because of crew quarantine?

Old Feb 11, 21, 3:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, HH Diamond
I would like to thank CX for prompt refunds, and great service, despite the times and circumstances they're under. I feel sorry for them.

These Chinese government people seem outright bullies, making stupid decisions just because they can, and to whom their own authority matters more than any logic or reasonability of outcomes. So primitive.

The Chinese government even tried to cover up the new SARS-CoV-2 virus when it emerged, bullying the hero Dr Li Wenliang because to prevent information about the government incompetence mattered more than creating this worldwide problem. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51364382
Old Feb 11, 21, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
This also seems totally counter-intuitive in relation to this news.
I disagree.
One has to be pragmatic if flying is allowed.
The big risk to FAs is during meal service, especially in economy.

Pax remove their masks to eat/dring while FAs pass their trays and drinks, and come close to the pax.
Sleeping while lying down in J/F is of little risk to a FA as they don't come close to the pax.
When a FA brings me anything in J, I always put my mask back on.
Old Feb 11, 21, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by etkuo View Post
End of May 2021 or 2022? lol. If it's 2021 I think it's pretty unlikely to happen unfortunately...
Unfortunately 2021. Guess I have go out from JFK or LAX.
Old Feb 11, 21, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And unless you are a HK resident and willing to undergo 21 days strict quarantine, it is totally improbable that you can fly to HK.
Old Feb 11, 21, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
And unless you are a HK resident and willing to undergo 21 days strict quarantine, it is totally improbable that you can fly to HK.

Thank you for your headsup. I do check both boxes, HK resident and willing to undergo quarantine. (am actually relocating back to HK)
Old Feb 12, 21, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by patrickw View Post
Unless there is a different quarantine policy for "safe" destinations or a travel bubble, there is no difference for AKL to any other outport for CX in terms of crew scheduling perspectives.
transit passengers are presumably the risk here onboard flights to "safe" destinations

if/once the dedicated bubble flights are up and running to somewhere like Singapore it should be possible to operate these outside of the quarantine system
Old Feb 12, 21, 6:46 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
The problem with all this is that countries aren't yet looking how to co-exist with Covid-19, they are only looking to prevent and get to 0 cases. Hong Kong is clearly not even considering a clear pathway to resume international travel. I understand this to an extent - yes holidays, foreigners etc should be banned. Yes quarantine should be in place - let's try to preserve the normal of day-to-day society within HK. But there is also a balancing act: Economies, Global commerce, cargo etc. and I just find HK Gov is going over the top. How many cases have been contributed to CX crew abroad - and of those how many were then passed on into the community?

Right now CX crew basically self isolate in foreign port hotel rooms, when they come back they have several tests + isolate for a few days at home and are driven privately/directly home. Foreign crew are required to stay within their hotel I think while layover in HK.

We have Flight bans from places like UK/Brazil/South Africa - totally get banning their citizens as part of the non essential travel policy - but HKSAR passport holders / residents? These residents would be subject to a pre-departure test, an arrival test at HKG, then at least one more test before finishing 21 day quarantine. I think its practically not heard of to incubate the disease much longer than 14 days.

Personally a 14 day Quarantine for less dangerous countries and a 21 day for more dangerous countries would suffice. I mean right now someone flying from Auckland to HK has to undergo all these tests and 21 days hotel quarantine, despite coming from a place with 0 cases.

It just speaks to me that HK Gov don't have any strategy to how they will open their borders and allow travel to resume gradually or safely. I don't know if this is political or purely paranoia re importing cases, but this next step to ask crew to also do the quarantine is just crazy - unless there have been so many incidents of crew catching and passing on the virus...
Old Feb 12, 21, 7:53 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
The problem with all this is that countries aren't yet looking how to co-exist with Covid-19, they are only looking to prevent and get to 0 cases. Hong Kong is clearly not even considering a clear pathway to resume international travel. I understand this to an extent - yes holidays, foreigners etc should be banned. Yes quarantine should be in place - let's try to preserve the normal of day-to-day society within HK. But there is also a balancing act: Economies, Global commerce, cargo etc. and I just find HK Gov is going over the top. How many cases have been contributed to CX crew abroad - and of those how many were then passed on into the community?

Right now CX crew basically self isolate in foreign port hotel rooms, when they come back they have several tests + isolate for a few days at home and are driven privately/directly home. Foreign crew are required to stay within their hotel I think while layover in HK.

We have Flight bans from places like UK/Brazil/South Africa - totally get banning their citizens as part of the non essential travel policy - but HKSAR passport holders / residents? These residents would be subject to a pre-departure test, an arrival test at HKG, then at least one more test before finishing 21 day quarantine. I think its practically not heard of to incubate the disease much longer than 14 days.

Personally a 14 day Quarantine for less dangerous countries and a 21 day for more dangerous countries would suffice. I mean right now someone flying from Auckland to HK has to undergo all these tests and 21 days hotel quarantine, despite coming from a place with 0 cases.

It just speaks to me that HK Gov don't have any strategy to how they will open their borders and allow travel to resume gradually or safely. I don't know if this is political or purely paranoia re importing cases, but this next step to ask crew to also do the quarantine is just crazy - unless there have been so many incidents of crew catching and passing on the virus...
it is very obvious that HK government looks to close the border in hope of China opening border to HK.

China opening to HK alone is worth more than opening to the rest of the world in the current political climate.

HK people better wake up who is their master. Hint, it is not western. The time has long passed.
fakecd and Fly Me To The Moon like this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 8:46 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
it is very obvious that HK government looks to close the border in hope of China opening border to HK.

China opening to HK alone is worth more than opening to the rest of the world in the current political climate.

HK people better wake up who is their master. Hint, it is not western. The time has long passed.
I get the hope of opening to China... but then why not road map to that. We still have quarantine requirements for China, Mainlanders cannot yet visit HK, and I don't believe air crew from Air China, China Southern etc. are required to do mandatory hotel quarantine when finishing assignments. I also believe there are still flights operating between UK and SA and China...

HK people better wake up who is their master. Hint, it is not western. The time has long passed
This is just an unnecessary statement. No one in this thread nor in the SAR of Hong Kong for that matter is under any illusion on the internal affairs of HK and China. And for all it is worth I don't think HK would consider itself to have been under any Western master for many years. My original comments are commenting on the lack of clear vision for mapping HK out of the current COVID-19 restrictions. For now these should be considered totally separate matters. HK has good reason to have strong border restrictions to protect its society. The question on hand is how far should these go, and what road map could the government draw up to gradually loosen these to facilitate some movement in the future. I suggest you join another forum if you wish to insinuate political commentary.
Old Feb 12, 21, 9:18 am

Programs: Alaska
I get the hope of opening to China... but then why not road map to that. We still have quarantine requirements for China, Mainlanders cannot yet visit HK, and I don't believe air crew from Air China, China Southern etc. are required to do mandatory hotel quarantine when finishing assignments. I also believe there are still flights operating between UK and SA and China...

HK people better wake up who is their master. Hint, it is not western. The time has long passed
This is just an unnecessary statement. No one in this thread nor in the SAR of Hong Kong for that matter is under any illusion on the internal affairs of HK and China. And for all it is worth I don't think HK would consider itself to have been under any Western master for many years. My original comments are commenting on the lack of clear vision for mapping HK out of the current COVID-19 restrictions. For now these should be considered totally separate matters. HK has good reason to have strong border restrictions to protect its society. The question on hand is how far should these go, and what road map could the government draw up to gradually loosen these to facilitate some movement in the future. I suggest you join another forum if you wish to insinuate political commentary.
i am not trying to talk about politics. But thats whats driving. If HK government was to announce that they intend to close the border so that they can be close to the rest of the world, but open to mainland China only, it would not go down well. Just the notion of closer to mainland China turns off quite some people in HK.

it is easier to just slowly seal the border and let the reality sink in.
Old Feb 12, 21, 9:48 am

This statement is much better than Post 91, above.
fakecd likes this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 1:10 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
This closed loop measure is HK's equivalent of Australian Arrival Caps - both being parochial and regrettable.

Governments are meant to protect their residents and favour their "own" (interstate borders/border with China) but to what extent are measures no longer scientific but grandstanding?
Old Feb 13, 21, 5:53 am

I have a business trip and need to know if CX will extend these cancelations to after March 28. Any clue on when CX will update its schedule for March 28 onwards? Thankss!
Old Feb 13, 21, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ma930407 View Post
I have a business trip and need to know if CX will extend these cancelations to after March 28. Any clue on when CX will update its schedule for March 28 onwards? Thankss!
I don't think that anyone has a real clue. Just personal guesses.
The new schedule is quite complicated to be put in place with the crew scheduling.
They will need time to readjust once HK decides to relax the measure.
I don't see the HK government to do that soon as they try to keep out new dangerous variants.
How long this new measure will be in place is impossible to tell. I would be surprised if it will not remain in place for quite a few months.
Old Feb 13, 21, 7:17 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by ma930407 View Post
"The airline said it was actively planning its available manpower for March in order to build a flight schedule, which is expected to be released on February 22." https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...hts-all-routes

(Flights to 28 Mar have already been cut, so by this date you get beyond March?)

Search this Thread