Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore - Hong Kong travel bubble

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fakecd
they are also mulling mendatory universal test to do their witchhunt and preparing all legal base to do what china did to contain.
It’s a bogeyman beaten to death by the pro-Beijing side. They don’t mention it’s not practical to replicate this in Hong Kong because 1) we don’t have neighbourhood committees 2) they won’t accept the cost of shutting down entire districts while the test is carried out district-by-district and 3) we don’t lock out non-citizen residents, this test is pointless.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:54 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by percysmith
It’s a bogeyman beaten to death by the pro-Beijing side. They don’t mention it’s not practical to replicate this in Hong Kong because 1) we don’t have neighbourhood committees 2) they won’t accept the cost of shutting down entire districts while the test is carried out district-by-district and 3) we don’t lock out non-citizen residents, this test is pointless.
I never understand why Carrie Lam has to go to Beijing to ask. It won't happen in the current political climate. Maybe just to shut those hoping up.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
As a datapoint, I had redemption waitlists on CX 715 / 714 for a couple of days in December. Found out today that they were all canceled and I was re-waitlisted on CX 734 / 759 instead for each PNR. That said, I'm not hopeful that any of them would be confirmed, as there are many people clamouring to travel even on highly jacked up revenue tickets!
My previously waitlisted SIN-HKG CX 734 was confirmed for 3 pax in J Standard on 18 Dec. For those travelling ex-SIN, the testing costs amount to:
1) Before departure from SIN SGD 200 / HKD 1,200
2) Upon arrival in HKG SGD 90 / HKD 500
3) Before departure from HKG (at a community testing centre) SGD 45 / HKD 240
So total testing cost SGD 335 / HKD 1,940

What concerns me most is the test at HKG upon arrival. CX 734 touches down at 19:00, apparently the wait could be 4-6 hours to get the result, so by the time we leave HKIA and head to Central, can be almost midnight or beyond! Looks like the other flight SQ 890 that touches down at 14:00 is better suited.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Trying to book in December from HKG.
Y is 5,400 J is 21,000.

My understanding was that the HK airport test was to be a rapid test that they are experimenting. Results would be available rapidly (like a couple of hours as test only requires 15/30 min). But there seems to be some désappointements with the test at HKIA. As an anecdote Elon Musk (Tesla) twittedd on rapid antigen tests.: ""Something extremely bogus is going on. Was tested for covid four times today. Two tests came back negative, two came back positive. Same machine, same test, same nurse." HK is probably using a different LAMP test.

If HK uses a RT-PCR , like for other arriving pax, there is no way that results can be released very fast. I assume that the fee charged will mean an accelerated procedure. "normal" pax arriving after mid-day are sent to a dedicated hotel to get results in the morning. If the accelerated RT-PCR procedure takes 4-6 hours (very optimistic for 200 RT-PCR tests) and you wait at the airport during that time, it means that you won't be released before midnight, and probably later. Then try to get a taxi. There is no way I would fly for a few days and get through that experience. Hence I am waiting to hear what procedure would be used.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Trying to book in December from HKG.
Y is 5,400 J is 21,000.

My understanding was that the HK airport test was to be a rapid test that they are experimenting. Results would be available rapidly (like a couple of hours as test only requires 15/30 min). But there seems to be some désappointements with the test at HKIA. As an anecdote Elon Musk (Tesla) twittedd on rapid antigen tests.: ""Something extremely bogus is going on. Was tested for covid four times today. Two tests came back negative, two came back positive. Same machine, same test, same nurse." HK is probably using a different LAMP test.

If HK uses a RT-PCR , like for other arriving pax, there is no way that results can be released very fast. I assume that the fee charged will mean an accelerated procedure. "normal" pax arriving after mid-day are sent to a dedicated hotel to get results in the morning. If the accelerated RT-PCR procedure takes 4-6 hours (very optimistic for 200 RT-PCR tests) and you wait at the airport during that time, it means that you won't be released before midnight, and probably later. Then try to get a taxi. There is no way I would fly for a few days and get through that experience. Hence I am waiting to hear what procedure would be used.
There are basically three kinds of tests: antigen, antibody and nucleic acid (DNA/RNA) tests. PCR test and LAMP test are two kinds of nucleic acid tests. PCR is the golden standard. LAMP test uses a more simple method to amplify nucleic acid, therefore it can return the result much more faster than PCR, with the cost of accuracy. LAMP tests are on trial in HKG, and also provided at LHR T2/T5 departure. Hong Kong government also accepts LAMP tests for passengers from ultra-high risk areas.

From my understanding, the passengers from the travel bubble are also required to take a PCR test, but this test is outsourced to a third-party (Penetrics), and it sets up a lab in the airport, so the waiting time can be shortened to 4 hours.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Reply1984
There are basically three kinds of tests: antigen, antibody and nucleic acid (DNA/RNA) tests. PCR test and LAMP test are two kinds of nucleic acid tests. PCR is the golden standard. LAMP test uses a more simple method to amplify nucleic acid, therefore it can return the result much more faster than PCR, with the cost of accuracy. LAMP tests are on trial in HKG, and also provided at LHR T2/T5 departure. Hong Kong government also accepts LAMP tests for passengers from ultra-high risk areas.

From my understanding, the passengers from the travel bubble are also required to take a PCR test, but this test is outsourced to a third-party (Penetrics), and it sets up a lab in the airport, so the waiting time can be shortened to 4 hours.
Indeed, nice clarification.

Prenetics is also supplying the rapid test on trial at HKIA.
https://www.scmp.com/business/compan...19-diagnostics
And the Oxsed RaViD test is indeed a version of the RT-LAMP test.

I am a bit doubtful of the the "at least 4 hours" for the RT-PCR test. Once the deep-throat saliva sample is being tested, I understand that results can be obtained in 4 hours. But one needs to add the pax processing time for 200 pax. In my last arrival, I was first out of the plane and never had to really wait anywhere in processing, except for the bus to the waiting hotel. But it still took an hour between leaving the aircraft and providing my saliva sample. There are many administrative steps. And you will get 200 pax at the same time to be processed and tested. Results will probably be released in batches.
Anyway, travel bubble starts 22 November. Let's see how it goes.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, nice clarification.

Prenetics is also supplying the rapid test on trial at HKIA.
https://www.scmp.com/business/compan...19-diagnostics
And the Oxsed RaViD test is indeed a version of the RT-LAMP test.

I am a bit doubtful of the the "at least 4 hours" for the RT-PCR test. Once the deep-throat saliva sample is being tested, I understand that results can be obtained in 4 hours. But one needs to add the pax processing time for 200 pax. In my last arrival, I was first out of the plane and never had to really wait anywhere in processing, except for the bus to the waiting hotel. But it still took an hour between leaving the aircraft and providing my saliva sample. There are many administrative steps. And you will get 200 pax at the same time to be processed and tested. Results will probably be released in batches.
Anyway, travel bubble starts 22 November. Let's see how it goes.
https://hk.appledaily.com/local/2020...PHFTPIDD3BWFA/
The trial of LAMP tests in HKG will be prolonged for another one week, since the participants are not enough.

https://news.mingpao.com/ins/%E6%B8%...9F%93%E7%96%AB
One passenger got negative result from a PCR test but a positive result from the LAMP test.

https://news.mingpao.com/pns/%E6%B8%...BB%B6%E9%95%B7
One of the government public health advisors said that the accuracy of LAMP test was lower than PCR tests (as expected), but Prenetics adjusted its LAMP test procedures and the accuracy was improved.

Hopefully passengers from travel bubble can use LAMP tests at a later stage. There are always risks, but the government has to balance the risks and benefits.

Last edited by Reply1984; Nov 15, 2020 at 11:22 pm
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Taking the conversation on another angle, are there mandatory contact tracing like Singapore’s trace together in HK now?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Taking the conversation on another angle, are there mandatory contact tracing like Singapore’s trace together in HK now?
Yes, the HK government announced this recently: https://www.leavehomesafe.gov.hk/en/
It is unclear on whether you need to activate the as part of the travel bubble or not, nor how widely used the App will be. Similar problems exist with most venues that make you declare that you didn't leave HK for 14 days, it is unclear (on both sides of the bubble) whether there will be a de-facto quarantine on individuals who have been through the bubble (even though after 3 tests you are presumably quite safe...)
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:53 am

My previously waitlisted SIN-HKG CX 734 was confirmed for 3 pax in J Standard on 18 Dec. For those travelling ex-SIN, the testing costs amount to:
1) Before departure from SIN SGD 200 / HKD 1,200
2) Upon arrival in HKG SGD 90 / HKD 500
3) Before departure from HKG (at a community testing centre) SGD 45 / HKD 240
So total testing cost SGD 335 / HKD 1,940

What concerns me most is the test at HKG upon arrival. CX 734 touches down at 19:00, apparently the wait could be 4-6 hours to get the result, so by the time we leave HKIA and head to Central, can be almost midnight or beyond! Looks like the other flight SQ 890 that touches down at 14:00 is better suited.

it seem like the testing cost at SIN have dropped. MOH is charging $125 wef today instead of $186 previously. So hopefully those private clinics will drop these swab test cost as well
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
it seem like the testing cost at SIN have dropped. MOH is charging $125 wef today instead of $186 previously. So hopefully those private clinics will drop these swab test cost as well
Thought MOH refer to clinics to do the tests?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
What is your source? Doesn't seem to be reported in the Singapore press?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:02 am

What is your source? Doesn't seem to be reported in the Singapore press?
this is the revised swab test for those under PCA (previously was $186). I am not sure whether those private clinic will revise their price or not. Previously MOH charge $186 n outside clinic also charge around that price.

Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Most institutions still charging 186. I booked mine for Dec 4 with RMG and they are still charging this
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:01 am

The last time a colleague inquired with Parkway Shenton, PCR test was S$170.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.