Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore - Hong Kong travel bubble

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:06 pm

Here we go again: The HK-SG travel bubble is delayed again. This time it is Singapore that decides to call it off.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-announcement

Recently some new clusters emerged in Singapore, and yesterday, 10+ foreign workers were tested to be positive and hundreds of workers were put under quarantine.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...to-be-moved-to
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:57 am

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/healt...cement-delayed
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tart-on-may-26

It is expected that the new arrangements of HK-SG travel bubble will be announced on April 26, i.e. next Monday, and the travel bubble will start on May 26. The number of flights will be increased by June 26 if there aren’t further outbreaks.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
What is worrying with such a travel bubble is what happens when it is suddenly suspended.
Take a HKer who flew to Singapore for work under the arrangement, with no quarantine on both sides. Then the bubble is suspended. Would that mean that he is forced to do 21-day hotel quarantine upon return to HK? Or wait in Singapore until the bubble is possibly reinstated?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by brunos
What is worrying with such a travel bubble is what happens when it is suddenly suspended.
Take a HKer who flew to Singapore for work under the arrangement, with no quarantine on both sides. Then the bubble is suspended. Would that mean that he is forced to do 21-day hotel quarantine upon return to HK? Or wait in Singapore until the bubble is possibly reinstated?
Unlike the AU-NZ one, there is a transparent mechanism for suspension in HK-SG travel bubble.

“If the seven-day moving average of the daily number of unlinked local cases (excluding dormitory resident cases for Singapore) is more than five for either Singapore or Hong Kong, the ATB will be suspended in two days’ time (including the day on which the figure was announced) for two weeks.”

The data is transparent and you can read everything from the newspaper.

And don't forget that vaccinated passengers from Singapore will only have to undertake 7-day quarantine. If the situation is worse, it is 14-day quarantine, instead of 21-day quarantine.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 6:20 am

5 (unlinked) is such a ridiculously low number.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Unlike the AU-NZ one, there is a transparent mechanism for suspension in HK-SG travel bubble.

“If the seven-day moving average of the daily number of unlinked local cases (excluding dormitory resident cases for Singapore) is more than five for either Singapore or Hong Kong, the ATB will be suspended in two days’ time (including the day on which the figure was announced) for two weeks.”

The data is transparent and you can read everything from the newspaper.

And don't forget that vaccinated passengers from Singapore will only have to undertake 7-day quarantine. If the situation is worse, it is 14-day quarantine, instead of 21-day quarantine.
Unless I am mistaken, the shortening of quarantine for vaccinated pax is just a plan that has not been confirmed yet. The announcement took place a while ago before discovery that bad variants are being locally transmitted. Some "experts" are now suggesting extending the 21 days to 28.
I pray that the shortening plan is put in effect in a few days, as initially suggested.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
It's been announced now - as expected no quarantine HKG-SIN (just the wait at a hotel for the PCR test results). Also surprisingly no quarantine on the way back from SIN-HKG, though we'll need to wait at the airport for the PCR test results... I wonder how many hours that will take?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:51 pm

Fares are increasing already from May 26. All doubled now.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nivla83
Fares are increasing already from May 26. All doubled now.
Is the bubble flight even on sale yet?

edit: oh I see they are
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
The general set-up seems to be about the same as last time just before the cancelled it and nasty little gotyas:
  • Lots of tests (4 - One before boarding, one on arrival, one before departure, one on arrival?), the SG ones seem expensive too (SGD200?), or is it even 6 as they say "screened again at the airport" (some unreliable rapid test?)
  • Waiting at the HK airport before you're allowed into the city / being stuck in your hotel in Singapore, probably on the night of arrival
  • Use of tracing apps (minor inconvenience)
  • My least favourite is the "5 unknown cases and we slam the door" which remains ridiculously low and brings a lot of risk considering how many cases you see spiking occasionally. I hope they put in place a "7 day quarantine if not on the bubble" to mitigate this risk, as 3 weeks would be terrible, considering the flights will likely be completely full and hence switching a few days earlier wouldn't work
  • HK residents need to have had their second jab two weeks before, but perhaps not if travelling on another passport (?) or if they have a good reason not to, or are children (sounds like complex determination / loopholes)
I think that this isn't going to drive much immediate traffic for a short term weekend, but for a week long trip it is probably viable (with risk of getting stuck in either country)
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
The general set-up seems to be about the same as last time just before the cancelled it and nasty little gotyas:
  • My least favourite is the "5 unknown cases and we slam the door" which remains ridiculously low and brings a lot of risk considering how many cases you see spiking occasionally. I hope they put in place a "7 day quarantine if not on the bubble" to mitigate this risk, as 3 weeks would be terrible, considering the flights will likely be completely full and hence switching a few days earlier wouldn't work
I think that this isn't going to drive much immediate traffic for a short term weekend, but for a week long trip it is probably viable (with risk of getting stuck in either country)
for the unlinked cases, it is average 5 unlinked cases per 7 days. So around 35 per week. In normal cases, it won’t be much. Because if one person is unlinked n his family are also positive , these are considered as linked.

For pax returning to Sin, not much issue as SIN have allowed for 7 days SHN for Any one returning From HK at their place of resident.

For HK wise, might be an issue.

Unless they allow for special additional flights to be mounted just before suspension take into effect. (SQ actually have multiple cargo flight daily using 787/A350). So hopefully there can be sone provision for additional ATB to bring back pax before suspension. (Can easily just deploy some crews on these cargo flight ).

Last edited by sbs2716g; Apr 26, 2021 at 12:07 am
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
I just booked a CX flight on the travel bubble announced today to Singapore ex HK. All paxs need to be fully vaccinated and have been in Hong Kong a minimum of 14 days. No quarantine at Singapore. Ticket fully refundable or changeable if the bubble is suspended.
Singapore stay up to 6 months allowed and vv. No need to be a resident of ether country.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Too much travel
It's been announced now - as expected no quarantine HKG-SIN (just the wait at a hotel for the PCR test results). Also surprisingly no quarantine on the way back from SIN-HKG, though we'll need to wait at the airport for the PCR test results... I wonder how many hours that will take?
It says the test result will be released in 3 hours. Not too bad.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
it reads
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

"However, residents aged under 16 or considered unsuitable for vaccination on medical grounds are exempt. Also exempt from the vaccination requirement are residents who have spent fewer than 90 days in the SAR prior to departure, as well as those using non-Hong Kong travel documents."

does it mean need to use hk passport?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by fakecd
it reads
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

"However, residents aged under 16 or considered unsuitable for vaccination on medical grounds are exempt. Also exempt from the vaccination requirement are residents who have spent fewer than 90 days in the SAR prior to departure, as well as those using non-Hong Kong travel documents."

does it mean need to use hk passport?
foreign passport holders are not require to have vaccination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.