Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Old Sep 25, 2020, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
UK on the High Risk List from 01/10/2020 (14 Day Mandatory Hotel Stay)

I have to plan an upcoming trip which would have meant transitting LHR.

Looks like the UK will be in the High Risk/Red category from 01/10/2020 with mandatory test in advance and compulsory 14 day hotel stay from Thursday.

More can be found at:

www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/high-risk-places.html
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...trictions.html
http://www.businesstraveller.com/bus...ntries-report/

Last edited by Nicc HK; Sep 25, 2020 at 3:01 am Reason: Additional info
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Good to see the Health Department taking this seriously. Am interested to know what happened to the flight's passengers, with my last flight being BA31, and the next one being BA32.

I was amazed when in the UK a few weeks ago at how many people ignored rules and advice regarding social distancing, masks on transport and in public areas, parties, then criticise the UK government for blaming them for their own poor behaviour. Crazy
It seems that 13 FAs from that flight are quarantined but the pilots were allowed to fly back as they had no contact with that FA.
BA32 was cancelled 25 and 26 september as the crew that arrived on 22 was supposed to operate those. Ba31 departing LHR on 24 was also cancelled.

Watching the video made by that FA, she seems like a spoilt brat. Of course, the notion of strict quarantine in the UK is somewhat different as seen on BA board.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Watching the video made by that FA, she seems like a spoilt brat. Of course, the notion of strict quarantine in the UK is somewhat different as seen on BA board.
Sadly yes. The UK has become 'Snowflake Central'. The whole ethos of personal responsibility left the building quite some time ago.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by brunos
Sadly yes. The UK has become 'Snowflake Central'. The whole ethos of personal responsibility left the building quite some time ago.
IMHO what they showed was a giant improvement over the last time UK citizens were in a detention centre in HK.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: CX Gold
The relevant traveller has confirmation in English or Chinese of room reservation in a hotel in Hong Kong for not less than 14 days starting on the day of the arrival of the relevant traveller in Hong Kong.
Is the 14 days in quarantine counted towards the allowed length of stay in HK by foreigners? My passport has 14 day visa free stay in HK.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by boybi
Is the 14 days in quarantine counted towards the allowed length of stay in HK by foreigners? My passport has 14 day visa free stay in HK.
Unfortunately Hong Kong Government has banned entry of non-residents since March......
lixiaojuventus and boybi like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Unfortunately Hong Kong Government has banned entry of non-residents since March......
Unless they have been in “China” (ie Mainland China, Macau or Taiwan) in last 14 days. Getting into those places not easy, either.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 889
I believe the pilot seen at the Peak was travelling before the new rules on crew quarantine during layovers came into effect. Before, there apparently were some airline promises that crew not under quarantine would nonetheless restrict their activities, but legally crew were free to wander the city.
I think given third wave, restricting crew movement is not too much to ask.

Unions thru their airlines can choose not to fly here if they find either the proposed confinement or the quarantine conditions unacceptable.

Originally Posted by Reply1984
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/127586...virus/、

It seems that one BA crew member cannot tell the difference between 'quarantine' and 'staycation'.
I assume she's been classified as a close contact of her positive test colleague - does she think she's safe to fly as a close contact? I think BA needs to ramp up their Coronavirus training.

Pilots may genuinely be not close contact given they spend most of their time behind the cockpit door or in their own rest bunks.

Good to see the Health Department taking this seriously. Am interested to know what happened to the flight's passengers, with my last flight being BA31, and the next one being BA32.
I think the section the positive test FA serves will themselves be close contact (from March precedent).

I think the BA crew got Penny's Bay BTW https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/qua..._centre_en.pdf . It's an ad-hoc facility and the crew will be confined to rooms but it sure looks better than the Sydney Travelodge https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...-work/12607448
tfung likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 27, 2020 at 1:17 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You probably have already seen that in addition to BA31 arriving on 22 Sep, 2 more cabin crew tested positive on BA31 arriving 24 Sep.
https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/flights_trains_en.pdf

But all BA31 flights are currently full by pax trying to beat the 1 October deadline.

Just an anecdote that I did not post on BA forum, as I would have been flamed down. My CX friends will be kinder.
I flew BA32 HKG-LHR in July in F with wifey. Only 4 pax in F, horrible box food and undrinkable plastic split wines. But FAs kept coming to see if I needed anything. An hour after meal service I was quite disturbed by chatting/laugh noise from the J galley at the back of the F cabin. I went to the F lav and the curtain was half open. There were no less than 7 (maybe 8) unmasked FAs standing next to each other and exchanging pleasantries. When I complained to the purser that they could be filling the air with virus, she scolded me that this was their meal time, even though there was no tray or food to be seen. Not surprising that FAs get easily contaminated with this protocol. Unfortunately this is consistent with the laxity I found in UK and France despite the exploding covid numbers.
I recently flew QR and FAs seemed to observe strict protocol of social distancing. I understand that CX FAs do the same.
Carfield and tfung like this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Singapore-HK Bubble

Hopefully the start of more good news. Please see thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...el-bubble.html

Also government announcemnet at http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...0101500440.htm
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:51 am

Current quarantine is up until 31dec2020

Does anyone have a qualified guess if/when that would be extended?

I have a trip planned to Europa for X-mas and the returnflight is on 3rd January via IST
Old Oct 23, 2020, 11:15 am

Given the current trends especially in Europe where the numbers are getting worse in most countries week by week, I'd be really surprised if they relax the rules before next spring.

My most optimistic guess for Christmas period will be Singapore plus one or two other travel bubble already in place.
jz123 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jz123

I have a trip planned to Europa for X-mas and the returnflight is on 3rd January via IST
You should plan to get a arrival compliant test and quarantine at a hotel in HK when you return.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:15 pm

Thanks for input,

I'm not a native english speaker,

What's a "arrival compliant test"?
And your guess would be that home-quarantine is not an option arriving from Europe in January?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jz123

No one has a qualified guess.
My own unqualified guess at 99.9% is that the restrictions on Europe will be at least as stringent as now.

The covid situation in Europe is exploding. It could improve a bit by December but not sufficiently within two months to justify relaxation.
Only UK and France (and Russia) are currently classified as high-risk countries (pre departure test and hotel quarantine). But that is because these are countries with the "heaviest" traffic to HK. Many countries have worse statistics (Belgium, Netherlands, Czech republic, Spain.). Hence, further European countries could be added by December as there will be increased year-end travel with expats families returning to their original countries. HK will try to reduce that risk.
Travel bubbles, if they ever materialize, will be on specific point-to-pint flights with restrictions and will not apply to your case.

What tentseller is suggesting is that you should be planning for the scenario that the European country you will visit be classified as high risk. Then the following requirements apply:
https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/h...sk-places.html
jz123 likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Oct 23, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.