Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Question: Under the new scheme, are visitors able to leave HKSAR in the "4" part of 3+4? Specifically, would a Mainland Chinese visitor arriving HKG from overseas be able to only stay in HKSAR for 3 or 4 nights before taking another flight to Mainland China? Thanks!
CX asks for a Blue code https://www.facebook.com/groups/2788...3487662020374/, not sure what happens if you show up with Yellow (no lounge? Or not fly at all?)

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 14, 2022 at 9:15 am
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
CX asks for a Blue code https://www.facebook.com/groups/2788...3487662020374/, not sure what happens if you show up with Yellow (no lounge? Or not fly at all?)
In my personal experience a few days ago, blue code would appear to be checked for lounge access only. I was told this is the “same as restaurants in town.”

Colour-coded QR was not part of the check-in process itself nor verification of whether I was fit to fly (which was, as usual, based on requirements of the destination country). At check-in, LeaveHomeSafe came up only in the context of lounge entry requirements.

Although, as always, the government could well change their minds… or they could announce in a few weeks that something different was always required and blame businesses for not reading their minds (e.g. DJs being classified as “live” music).
brunos, tauphi and percysmith like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
Is it now possible to transit HKG (non-Mainland) on 2 separate tickets (either 2 airlines or 2 separate CX flights), assuming no luggage has been checked in?
Also interested, anyone?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:05 am

Mentions bag tag-through so yes https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/i...638782054297-2 ?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm not sure I see the connection between baggage check-through and different ticket/PNR. Sometimes it's possible to check your luggage through even on separate tickets (often works withing same alliance) and sometimes it's not possible even on single e-ticket
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Transiting Hong King airport next month, US citizen…am I paranoid to be concerned about transiting (detention, Etc) or should I look at rerouting?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by maxvor
I'm not sure I see the connection between baggage check-through and different ticket/PNR. Sometimes it's possible to check your luggage through even on separate tickets (often works withing same alliance) and sometimes it's not possible even on single e-ticket
No clearer answers.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by splatkid10
Transiting Hong King airport next month, US citizen…am I paranoid to be concerned about transiting (detention, Etc) or should I look at rerouting?
I wouldn't be especially concerned about detention, but I'd be loath to transit there if the second flight was on a low-frequency route.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Personal experience of HKG - flew in 6 days ago.

TLDR: The arrival experience is very stress free. Document checks all happen very early in the process (i.e. at check in and via the health declaration form) such that by the time you arrive at HKG, it's very straight forward. There are also lots of staff everywhere to help you.

Stepping off the aircraft, signs filter out transfer passengers from arrival passengers straight away. Arrival passengers are directed towards the beginning of a series of checkpoints, whereby you are filtered depending on whether you have a green (hotel booking verified) or pink (not verified) QR code. They match this QR code up with your passport. Subsequently you're given a lanyard with a barcode for airport to scan from that point on. I can't speak for those with a pink QR code, but those with a green one then proceed to their PCR and RAT test. After this point, I didn't have to produce anymore paperwork until checking in to the quarantine hotel.

You then take the people mover terminal train to immigration and go to the baggage hall as you would 'back in the old days'. All in all this could be so quick that by the time you have your bags, your COVID test results haven't actually been processed yet. Before leaving the baggage hall, someone scans your barcode and checks whether you're negative or not. For me, all of this took less than 30mins.

Whilst Hong Kong is no tourist hotspot at the moment, I would definitely not avoid transitting through the airport should I be presented the option to. It's extremely quiet but they seem to have it moving very smoothly.

Last edited by CarefreeBA; Aug 25, 2022 at 8:02 am
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Question: Under the new scheme, are visitors able to leave HKSAR in the "4" part of 3+4? Specifically, would a Mainland Chinese visitor arriving HKG from overseas be able to only stay in HKSAR for 3 or 4 nights before taking another flight to Mainland China? Thanks!
Apparently you’re supposed to call up the CHP and inform them you’re leaving HK early first
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:56 pm

It's just a courtesy and not required. Most people who fly early will end up in China and I doubt they're going to be bothering with following up each individual case with prosecution that will simply go nowhere. This is no different with the earlier 7+7 system where you could leave during the +7 period and skip the mandatory PCR testing.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by tauphi
It's just a courtesy and not required. Most people who fly early will end up in China and I doubt they're going to be bothering with following up each individual case with prosecution that will simply go nowhere. This is no different with the earlier 7+7 system where you could leave during the +7 period and skip the mandatory PCR testing.
It's more than a courtesy if you are HK resident and plan to ever return in the future.
Apparently, all those missing compulsory PCR are flagged and receive a 10,000 fine plus a nasty letter a few weeks later (usually delivered by the police)..

Last edited by brunos; Aug 27, 2022 at 11:42 am
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i know a lady who left hk before mandatory PCR was.done... she came back and was questioned at arrival. so record does stay
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:36 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by fakecd
i know a lady who left hk before mandatory PCR was.done... she came back and was questioned at arrival. so record does stay
She was questioned about what, and then what happened?

HK immigration knows when you leave HK. If you were not allowed to leave they should have stopped you.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by :D!
She was questioned about what, and then what happened?

HK immigration knows when you leave HK. If you were not allowed to leave they should have stopped you.
You’re assuming left hand knows what right hand is doing all the time.

Because of rule change Immigration Department might not have enforced new rules, even if CHP wanted it to.

Ideally mere presentation of a person under yellow code at the border should automatically discharge the quarantine order placed on that person. But HK Govt isn’t that efficient - or common sense - for that to be the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.