Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: Alaska
Now UK on the ban list.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:14 am

The world will move on and accept that people will continue to be infected as long as hospitals can cope, life can carry on. But HK and countries that are obsessed with 0 infection rates will be stuck in this cycle of banned list, ridiculous quarantine and closed borders.
etkuo, HarbourGent and TomYoung like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by jckl
The world will move on and accept that people will continue to be infected as long as hospitals can cope, life can carry on. But HK and countries that are obsessed with 0 infection rates will be stuck in this cycle of banned list, ridiculous quarantine and closed borders.
Especially China is only concentrating on efforts of able to present zero cases of infection while the HKSAR is pursuing actually having zero cases of infection.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jckl
Originally Posted by tcook052
I asked earlier in this thread how long Australia could keep its self-imposed global isolation with hard border closures and the linked article gives some indication that it could be another 18 months away.

Australian officials have said they hope to reach herd immunity -- the point at which about 80% of the population is vaccinated -- before reopening its borders. Prime Minister Morrison earlier said that may not be until mid-2022. More recently, he was even unable to commit to a Christmas 2022 reopening.

Hard to imagine any country in modern times being effectively closed to the world for what could prove to be 3-years.
(Not my preference but what I predict will happen) why can't they? Those communities who can lock themselves down will continue to do so. Therefore, no reopening for years until Covid vaccines get as much data points as MMR and/or they suffer enough outbreaks to get sufficient people vaccinated.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There will come a time when those in Australia will tire of the lockdowns and there will be political pressure / apathy against them. Even this time there isn’t the same compliance as there was last year.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by percysmith
(Not my preference but what I predict will happen) why can't they? Those communities who can lock themselves down will continue to do so. Therefore, no reopening for years until Covid vaccines get as much data points as MMR and/or they suffer enough outbreaks to get sufficient people vaccinated.
Yes, that's really the best course of action for "Asia's World City."
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:50 pm

no doubt that the great number of people who refuse to be vaccinated contribute greatly to the decision.

Vaccination only protects the vaccinated, does not offer much protection to the surroundings, especially with Delta variant.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:08 pm

Frankly speaking, the gov can do nothing n just open the borders but at what price ?

singapore gradually open its border but in the end, suffer an outbreak n some people are blasting the government for opening the Border. But the same people are also blasting the government for not allowing them to hire foreign maid or workers and not allowing them to on oversea holidays without having to serve 14 day quarantine.

So whatever the government do, they will still be scolded as not every one will like their decision. People will just find excuses.

In the HKG newspaper, many ppl are blasting HKG for their failure to control the outbreak. HKG gov n residents want to relax the rule for vaccinated persons (shorter quarantine) but many experts said that they do not agree. So how ?

There is no perfect way at all.

So the point right now is get more people vaccinated and then can reduce the ICU case/death rate and hopefully we can just treat COVID as a normal illness.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Frankly speaking, the gov can do nothing n just open the borders but at what price ?
I've made that "fend for themselves" argument https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33183777-post412.html before (once sufficient vaccine becomes available, open border) .
As much as we can rage for "fend for themselves" here, short of Thailand, I don't realistically see it happening.

Even with HKSARG won't do this - their priority is the northern border, not the rest of world border. So we have to stay closed and keep lockstep with Guangdong.

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
So the point right now is get more people vaccinated and then can reduce the ICU case/death rate and hopefully we can just treat COVID as a normal illness.
I'm cheering small, contained outbreaks and those cases who slip through the cracks (small, isolated cases - a controlled bushfire).
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:32 pm

Even with HKSARG won't do this - their priority is the northern border, not the rest of world border. So we have to stay closed and keep lockstep with Guangdong.
This is a wrong priority for Hong Kong to chase. After all, Hong Kong is a global city connecting to the world. As much as Mainland China means to Hong Kong, the rest of world matters, too.

Will Hong Kong chase out all the global business?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
This is a wrong priority for Hong Kong to chase. After all, Hong Kong is a global city connecting to the world. As much as Mainland China means to Hong Kong, the rest of world matters, too.

We don't and will not vote in the government, remember? National priorities have paramountcy.

(devils advocate though, how many subnational governments prioritise opening to the world compared to opening up domestic travel?)
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:49 pm

We don't and will not vote in the government, remember? National priorities have paramountcy.

(devils advocate though, how many subnational governments prioritise opening to the world compared to opening up domestic travel?)
Politics aside, by extension of opening to Mainland China, Hong Kong should not pursue travel bubble with Singapore, as there is no way for Singapore not opening to the world.

Otherwise, what's the difference from Hong Kong opening to the rest of world directly?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:17 pm

Hong Kong should not pursue travel bubble with Singapore, as there is no way for Singapore not opening to the world.
If you're in a bubble with someone your quarantine policies must move in lockstep.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:15 pm

In my view, there's a potential opportunity for HK here to retain or stem off some businesses who may have privately considered leaving and withdrawing capital with the recent turbulence. For firms wishing to capitalize on China's continued rise into a mature consumer based economy, there are only a couple of viable (ideal) options to base operations. In my estimation, they are HK and Singapore, mostly because of 1) low corp tax (16% - 17%), 2) ease of connectivity (little doubt HKG leads the pack here) to China and SE Asia's emerging markets. Mainland & the rest of SE Asia with 25% - 30% tax rates are unattractive.

Not suggesting HK should prioritize economic interests over the health of Hong Kongers, but I do believe the city can strike a balance here. While only speaking for myself and our firm, we had plans for expanding our offshore operations to either HK or Singapore. As a former expat, I favored the former while some of my partners preferred the latte. I'd love nothing more than to see HK open up before Singapore, which will give firms a reason to remain in HK and/or continue their planned expansions before suddenly halted by the pandemic.

As a bonus, HK can save CX and hopefully remain the gateway to Asia for a while longer.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:05 am

Before Hong Kong vaccinated more than 50% of its population, I don't think we can see some meaningful border reopening activities. Singapore, Australia & New Zealand are also in the same situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.