Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 11:48 pm

Without quarantine, the low/med budget hotels would be filing for bankruptcy left and right.

I still travel between US and HK and quarantining is expensive.

Funny thing is most flights from LAX-HKG / HKG-LAX are full. You would think people would refrain from traveling but nope. Last flight I was on coming and returning from LAX, it was packed, at least 90%. Barely any open seats or social distancing.

Also keep in mind for those that are starting to travel, book your hotels early. Don't wait last minute like me because all 8000 "designated rooms" are fully booked for the month of June. Definitely need to book 1-2 months in advance.

Quarantine sucks especially when I'm vaccinated but honestly the amount of irresponsible people in this world, you just never know. I really hope they reduce the quarantine period because 14 days for vaccinated pax like myself is just illogical. But realistically speaking I don't foresee any changes till after summer. I think they will see how the cases are being handled in each country and based on the #of cases they will deem whether or not they are High, Medium, or Low. 14 days will be cut down to 7 and etc. Seeing how things are we won't have normal travel till end of 2022

Last edited by Danimalchen; May 30, 2021 at 11:54 pm
Old May 31, 2021, 5:01 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by brunos
Thanks.
Hence, "required to stay at your pace of stay" simply means that you cannot change place of stay but can move around freely in the city?
I have no clue where you got the 'required to stay at your place of stay' from.
The HKSAR Government Covid-19 page doesn't require passengers to stay at home during the 7 days of self-monitoring unless arriving from Singapore.
Old May 31, 2021, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by realgaga
I have no clue where you got the 'required to stay at your place of stay' from.
The HKSAR Government Covid-19 page doesn't require passengers to stay at home during the 7 days of self-monitoring unless arriving from Singapore.
Many thanks. I guess that I got alarmed because I was looking at a page specific to Singapore arrivals, which has this new constraint.

It seems that the government announced that UK will be classify as "high-risk" (moved down to group B), while Vietnam and Thailand will move up to Group B. Nothing official yet.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by brunos
Many thanks. I guess that I got alarmed because I was looking at a page specific to Singapore arrivals, which has this new constraint.

It seems that the government announced that UK will be classify as "high-risk" (moved down to group B), while Vietnam and Thailand will move up to Group B. Nothing official yet.
Regrouping will be effective June 4.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Further proof Government quarantine is an admin policy not science

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eek-quarantine
Policy got nicked

Hong Kong Pauses Plan to Exempt Bankers From Full Quarantine - Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tel-quarantine
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Policy got nicked

Hong Kong Pauses Plan to Exempt Bankers From Full Quarantine - Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tel-quarantine
GOvernment claims it’s still going ahead, just taking time to process the applications.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
GOvernment claims it’s still going ahead, just taking time to process the applications.
hey also had not fully planned the execution details. Seems like that it will be usual quarantine except for highly-controlled business meetings. Not very attractive.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:20 am

Hong Kong mooted antibody tests on all arrivals https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post33235128
Dropped for now because we haven't figured out logistically how it works.

Not sure if a blood draw test can be created to determine vaccine antibody vs virus antibody, but if there's a way, we'll look into it.
What looked like a joke is going to be policy: we are really going to carry out antibody tests for shortened quarantine https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-19-quarantine

So you can come with whatever silly immunity passport or none at all - a nurse is going to blood draw you anyways.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:01 am

Programs: Alaska
What looked like a joke is going to be policy: we are really going to carry out antibody tests for shortened quarantine https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-19-quarantine

So you can come with whatever silly immunity passport or none at all - a nurse is going to blood draw you anyways.
No joke at all.

There are too many fake/unofficial immunization records. And antibodies are not formed for some vaccinated.
wandering_fred likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
No joke at all.

There are too many fake/unofficial immunization records. And antibodies are not formed for some vaccinated.
Yeah but it's eyewateringly intrusive.

Maybe that's the point...need to "shed blood" for your travel.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:11 am

Also not 100% sure if there's consistent science to support antibody testing as immunity proof. Currently it seems more like a masochist approach to re-enable travel:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...ion-fda-safety

https://www.otandp.com/knowledge-bas...been-effective
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:21 am

Yeah but it's eyewateringly intrusive.

Maybe that's the point...need to "shed blood" for your travel.
There is always choice of not going to HK. People already give out information trying to go to HK.

Also not 100% sure if there's consistent science to support antibody testing as immunity proof. Currently it seems more like a masochist approach to re-enable travel:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...ion-fda-safety

https://www.otandp.com/knowledge-bas...been-effective
It is not as a immunity proof. It is to filter out those without official/proper immunization records.

I am pretty sure that eventually it will be reduced to mainly antibody tests for certain groups of countries and selectively for the rest.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:32 am

There is always choice of not going to HK. People already give out information trying to go to HK.
Yes agree. It's just setting a masochist bar to travel.
Also an arrival can continue to choose 14/21 days' quarantine.

I don't think tourists or even (executive) business travellers will put up with this.
It's really for permanent and non-permanent (i.e. long-term visa) residents - which is our current immigration policy anyway.

- returning students (and their helicopter parents)
- arriving domestic helpers (maids)
- arriving expat workers
--- foreseeable that expat workers can take home leave and return under this - of course, 7 days and a blood draw means they have to be quite keen, or have to attend a family emergency
- Hong Kongers residing overseas visiting HK
--- except for Group D country returnees (namely Australia and New Zealand) who have 7-day quarantine without antibody test already
- really keen business owners
--- HK outbound ones, we aren't re-opening business travel to overseas businessmen just yet
It is not as a immunity proof. It is to filter out those without official/proper immunization records.
It might not even do that either - false negatives.

I am pretty sure that eventually it will be reduced to mainly antibody tests for certain groups of countries and selectively for the rest.
This one no way
We couldn't have so successfully imposed Group A on Indian arrivals had we not imposed them on British arrivals first. We'd end up with all sorts of racial discrimination BS like Australia (whose first Group A was India)
No way US/UK are going to get free pass on this one.

The only exemption will be arrivals from other parts of China.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:11 am

This one no way
We couldn't have so successfully imposed Group A on Indian arrivals had we not imposed them on British arrivals first. We'd end up with all sorts of racial discrimination BS like Australia (whose first Group A was India)
No way US/UK are going to get free pass on this one.

The only exemption will be arrivals from other parts of China.
All immigrations are discriminative, racial or not.

The 7-day quarantine requirement is still here, is to protect the locals as the overall vaccination rate is still low. There is really no comparison with UK/US when they have reached significant higher vaccination rate than HK. As for kids, too bad. They have to go through quarantine, just because the locals refuse to get vaccination. Use Singapore as an example, the recent Delta variant spreads through kids, too.

I can foresee that after vaccination rate reaches herd immunity, the rule can be significantly relaxed to certain more trustworthy countries.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:15 am

All immigrations are discriminative, racial or not.
And political, too

I can foresee that after vaccination rate reaches herd immunity, the rule can be significantly relaxed to certain more trustworthy countries.
What makes you think HKSARG finds US and UK particularly trustworthy ATM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.