Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dfwrob
Hi. I'm flying SFO-HKG this Saturday with an arrival of time of 19:20, meeting a client air side (he is transiting) and then departing roughly 5 hours later HKG-LAX at 00:15. I will not be passing immigration or customs. Will I need a negative COVID test in order to do this? Will I need to be tested upon arrival? From what I am reading I think the answer to both questions is no, but I would like the wisdom of FTs. Thank you.
The bigger problem could be whether the airline permits you to board without travel documents sufficient to enter Hong Kong. Unless you're a citizen (I'm omitting technical details here) or resident, I don't think you can get permission to enter new. It's not a transit as Hong Kong is the destination on your ticket.

There was a similar case very recently that's being discussed in the BA forum concerning Qatar denying boarding on a LHR-DOH//DOH-LHR ticket with roughy the same amount of time at DOH (and even an airside transit hotel reservation there).
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
"The bigger problem could be whether the airline permits you to board without travel documents sufficient to enter Hong Kong. Unless you're a citizen (I'm omitting technical details here) or resident, I don't think you can get permission to enter new. It's not a transit as Hong Kong is the destination on your ticket.

There was a similar case very recently that's being discussed in the BA forum concerning Qatar denying boarding on a LHR-DOH//DOH-LHR ticket with roughy the same amount of time at DOH (and even an airside transit hotel reservation there)"

Ugh. I didn't think of that. Guess I need to call customer service to see if that is going to be allowed. That's the kind of wisdom I knew would be forthcoming. Thank you MSPeconomisst!
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by dfwrob; Dec 7, 2020 at 2:45 pm Reason: Did not include post in my reply
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:21 pm

You might be able to get away with this as technically LAX is the final destination even though this is a very long way to go SFO-LAX!
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I assume you bought a return ticket USA-HKG, SFO-HKG-LAX. Then HKG is not a transit point.

You must call CX, but I doubt that they will accept it
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"There was a similar case very recently that's being discussed in the BA forum concerning Qatar denying boarding on a LHR-DOH//DOH-LHR ticket with roughy the same amount of time at DOH (and even an airside transit hotel reservation there)"
Originally Posted by B-HQC
You might be able to get away with this as technically LAX is the final destination even though this is a very long way to go SFO-LAX!
Originally Posted by brunos
I assume you bought a return ticket USA-HKG, SFO-HKG-LAX. Then HKG is not a transit point.
This was the case Denied boarding, tricky one . OP is not as egregious as he is not heading back to origin. But still, same country (as opposed to alternate case in the British case suggesting UK-Qatar-Germany-UK) may result in check in taking a decision against you.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The bigger problem could be whether the airline permits you to board without travel documents sufficient to enter Hong Kong. Unless you're a citizen (I'm omitting technical details here) or resident, I don't think you can get permission to enter new. It's not a transit as Hong Kong is the destination on your ticket.
Agree. You are not only a Do Not Admit, but also a group of persons subject to enhanced quarantine.

Also - you are not transiting. Your ticket is in fact open jaw.

Without this and that, i seriously doubt you can even get a BP leaving SFO.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:37 pm

Slight further tightening of arrival quarantine measures (i-Cable): PCR swaps will now be carried out by dedicated team (? so further delays at Asiaexpo?), must take specified (Government arranged?) transportation to hotel, a further test sample must be submitted 19 days after arrival.

Also we're losing dining in after 6pm (not sure is this to be effected today or Thursday).
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could the test at 19 days be an antibody test for statistical purposes? Or do they think the quarantine is ineffective and want to check whether people are becoming infected during their quarantine periods?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: Alaska
You can’t do USA-HKG-USA as transit. US cabotage rule specifically prevents such route.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Do you have to stay in hotel for 19 days or just get the test on the 19th day?
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Do you have to stay in hotel for 19 days or just get the test on the 19th day?
Just the test
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ial-distancing

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 8, 2020 at 12:34 am
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
For the easy of Non-Chinese speaking people, the OCR'd and GT'd version:

Outbreak report

: The guild passed the "Restricted Testing Announcement", the mandatory testing must stay in the original
Set up premises and do not go out” for a maximum period of seven days during which the authorities will
Related parties provide materials

"No dinning in the evening market" beauty salon and fitness room closed" banquet reduced to 20 people
Effective on Thursday at 0:00, two weeks

"The two-person gathering restriction order and the mask order will continue to take effect

"Ten MTR stations sample collection kits have been distributed

"News: The new roll of epidemic prevention measures will take effect at zero on Thursday (10/12)
Including no dinning in the evening market, more about places

"News: About 103 confirmed cases have been added today

"The government will tighten epidemic prevention measures, "ban night markets at 6 o'clock and after dine-in",
close the United States Yards, massage parlors, fitness centers, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by percysmith
This was the case Denied boarding, tricky one . OP is not as egregious as he is not heading back to origin. But still, same country (as opposed to alternate case in the British case suggesting UK-Qatar-Germany-UK) may result in check in taking a decision against you.
To recap this whole discussion, this seems to only work with:
1. USA-HKG-XXX (Third party country that will let you in, which is rare in Asia, maybe MLE) then XXX-HKG-USA... seems tough at short notice and pricey, is CMB still flying?
2. You will definitely need the COVID tests to get on the plane and likely your new destination as well, be aware of Cathay (and HK's) very strict definitions, there are lots of quarantine groups on facebook with people suffering from basic typos and other problems with the tests. If for no reason other than to protect the other people on the plane who will be flying with you for some 30+ hours!

Cathay will likely be particularly strict as too many people have been trying to swing a USA-HKG-China type flight (see ad nauseam problems with this) it isn't very likely they're going to agree to your "I will be flying back, I just wanted a meeting" concept which doesn't exist outside of fairly committed flyers.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Slight further tightening of arrival quarantine measures (i-Cable): PCR swaps will now be carried out by dedicated team (? so further delays at Asiaexpo?), must take specified (Government arranged?) transportation to hotel, a further test sample must be submitted 19 days after arrival.

Also we're losing dining in after 6pm (not sure is this to be effected today or Thursday).
The so-called deep-throat saliva test is very Hong Kong specific. It is not reliable as pax do it on their own without proper supervision at the airport. Even more of a joke at day 10.
I did it with my wife at the airport and no one looked at us when we did it.
There are some posts circulating in some countries on how to cheat the test.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 8, 2020 at 9:12 am
Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Hi. I'm flying SFO-HKG this Saturday with an arrival of time of 19:20, meeting a client air side (he is transiting) and then departing roughly 5 hours later HKG-LAX at 00:15. I will not be passing immigration or customs. Will I need a negative COVID test in order to do this? Will I need to be tested upon arrival? From what I am reading I think the answer to both questions is no, but I would like the wisdom of FTs. Thank you.
0 Chance. Arriving and transit passengers are seperated pretty much immediatly after getting off the plane, let along if cathay will even let you board, test or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.