Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2020, 9:24 pm

If I travel ARN-IST-HKG

Will they require a covid-test now since Turkey has been added to the high risk country?
Or do they consider it as "just a transit"?

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0110300613.htm
Old Nov 3, 2020, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jz123
If I travel ARN-IST-HKG

Will they require a covid-test now since Turkey has been added to the high risk country?

If you do not get off the plane and no new passenger board then you are not deemed to have set foot in Turkey.
Once you are off the arriving plane, get your test!
Old Nov 3, 2020, 11:11 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I think the test is "boarded the specified aircraft" as well as 14 days travel history before?
Old Nov 4, 2020, 12:52 am

If I travel ARN-IST-HKG

Little bit off topic here, but Turkey doesn't really have many covid cases compared with Europe, quite strange that it's treated as a high risk area by HK govt.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE)
Originally Posted by tentseller
What is not clear to me is what it will mean for China arrivals: quarantine at home, or no quarantine at all? (I would assume the former, but the official announcement and the SCMP piece are both ambiguous on this point)
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by VE105
Little bit off topic here, but Turkey doesn't really have many covid cases compared with Europe, quite strange that it's treated as a high risk area by HK govt.
turkey have been under reporting the figures. They only reported those cases which are symptomatic which is around 1000-2000 cases daily. But they are not counting those asymptomatic cases which are a few time higher. This is admitted by their minister.

you can google as well.
VE105 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
now that hk adapted chinese policy, i anticipate next is mandatory universal test + health QR code in.hk

then they will open up to china+macau, but closed to rest of world like china is

i guess govt has realized this is only way china opens up to hk, so critical for resumption of commerce
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd
now that hk adapted chinese policy, i anticipate next is mandatory universal test + health QR code in.hk

then they will open up to china+macau, but closed to rest of world like china is

i guess govt has realized this is only way china opens up to hk, so critical for resumption of commerce
Piglet is playing with Winnie now. Let's wait and see what happens.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:30 pm

Im struggling to decide whether me, wife and infant is going to Europe for xmas or not,

The mandatory hotel quarantine really bothers me.
It doesn't make any sense that we need to quarantine in a hotelroom rather then in our apartment since we would meet exactly the same amount of people if not more people at a hotel.....

Anyone know what is like to quarantine in a hotel room? Could you choose the hotel yourself?
Would you be able to be outside in some way? What if you ran out of dipers?
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Im struggling to decide whether me, wife and infant is going to Europe for xmas or not,

It doesn't make any sense that we need to quarantine in a hotelroom rather then in our apartment since we would meet exactly the same amount of people if not more people at a hotel.....

Anyone know what is like to quarantine in a hotel room? Could you choose the hotel yourself?
Would you be able to be outside in some way? What if you ran out of dipers?
You can choose your hotel and subscribe to their 14-day all-inclusive package. Cost varies.

There was a time where a lot of HK hotels accepted quarantine pax.
This is not the case anymore.
The HK gov publishes a list of hotels:
https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/pdf/i.../hotels_en.pdf
But this is not exhaustive..Another list:
https://admedilink.hk/quarantine-hon...costs-updated/
There might be more as the obligation of hotel quarantine might increase demand (and supply).

Some FT members who recently did it might share their experience. But be aware that HK is strengthening its surveillance because of some infractions. In theory your are NOT allowed to go out of your room for any reason. Hotels have to report any infraction. There might be guards on the dedicated floors.

One reason for suppressing home quarantine is that some have entertained many friend/family visitors at their home. I am personally aware of someone who tried to organize a home party two days after arriving. The trick of sliding off the wristband has also been widely reported.

Given the exploding situation in Europe, a normal Christmas time is not to be expected. In the first wave, it took a couple of months after the spike to return to some normality. It is unclear if we have yet reached the spike of the second wave.
jz123 and Reply1984 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
But be aware that HK is strengthening its surveillance because of some infractions. In theory your are NOT allowed to go out of your room for any reason. Hotels have to report any infraction. There might be guards on the dedicated floors.

One reason for suppressing home quarantine is that some have entertained many friend/family visitors at their home. I am personally aware of someone who tried to organize a home party two days after arriving. The trick of sliding off the wristband has also been widely reported.
While Government here does not want to ban outbound travel outright (there may be constitutional problems doing so anyway), they're clearly trying to make it as uncomfortable as possible. You can still go, but you have to pretty keen (e.g. some family gravely ill).
jz123 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
m.
Some FT members who recently did it might share their experience. But be aware that HK is strengthening its surveillance because of some infractions. In theory your are NOT allowed to go out of your room for any reason. Hotels have to report any infraction. There might be guards on the of sdedicated floors.

One reason for suppressing home quarantine is that some have entertained many friend/family visitors at their home. I am personally aware of someone who tried to organize a home party two days after arriving. The trick of sliding off the wristband has also been widely reported
There has been many cases of breaking quarantine rules, some caught but many examples were posted on social media.

The wristband slip off methods were also posted online.

The wrist ban is now put on without any play to alleviate removal.
There is also discussion of bringing back the first version of the wrist monitor which is like a large Apple watch as the present version might be easier to hide under long sleeves.

Hotel have video cameras monitoring the hallway at all times. Many have controlled keyed access to use the lifts. The room key can be and Is programmed to open the door only once.

It is a case of few bad apples spoiling it for everyone.
pbd456 likes this.

Last edited by tentseller; Nov 8, 2020 at 5:35 am
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:56 am

Rthk

消息指政府最快明天公布粵澳回港人士豁免強制檢疫安排

消息指出,政府最快明天公布,居於廣東省及澳門的港人,持有兩地認可的新型冠狀病毒陰性檢測結果,回港後可 豁免強制檢疫14日的安排。不過,港人到廣東省及澳門,仍要遵守當地現有防疫規定,即暫時仍要強制檢疫14 日,暫時只能回港單向豁免隔離。政務司司長張建宗,早上以署理行政長官身分見傳媒時表示,政府本月會推出三 方面措施,包括推出「安心出行」流動應用程式,以電子方式記錄市民出行習慣,令衞生防護中心的追縱更有效。 另外,會讓符合條件的香港居民,由廣東省或澳門返港,豁免受14日強制檢疫;以及落實香港與新加坡推出航空 旅遊氣泡,有關政策局會在一、兩日內公布細節。他表示過去一個星期,仍出現源頭不明新型肺炎確診個案,社區 仍存在隱形傳播鏈,本地個案亦有上升趨勢。

2020-11-10 20:24:55
Old Nov 11, 2020, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
There has been many cases of breaking quarantine rules, some caught but many examples were posted on social media.

The wristband slip off methods were also posted online.

The wrist ban is now put on without any play to alleviate removal.
There is also discussion of bringing back the first version of the wrist monitor which is like a large Apple watch as the present version might be easier to hide under long sleeves.

Hotel have video cameras monitoring the hallway at all times. Many have controlled keyed access to use the lifts. The room key can be and Is programmed to open the door only once.

It is a case of few bad apples spoiling it for everyone.
One additional note on cheating.
HK is one of the only place to offer self-administered spitting into a bottle (so-called deep-throat saliva tests).
An Indian friend mentioned that there are tips circulating on how to minimize the risk of testing positive at the airport. I performed the test at the airport and no one was really watching how I was spitting in my bottle. Of course, no one does for the final test at end of quarantine.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
While Government here does not want to ban outbound travel outright (there may be constitutional problems doing so anyway), they're clearly trying to make it as uncomfortable as possible. You can still go, but you have to pretty keen (e.g. some family gravely ill).

Their tricked worked on me,
We've cancelled the trip

Thanks for inputs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.