Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Haaienvoer
Thanks you for the info on the "2 partner transfer" to reinstatement of miles. Contacted MarcoPolo, got the offer and transfered from both Marriott and HiltonHonors.

Marriott was almost instant, but still awaiting the Hilton points transfered to my account. Anyone have some experience on how long this will take ?
Similar situation. I am deciding which hotels to transfer from - Hilton, IHG, Radisson, Best Western.
Can anyone advise on expected transfer times for any of these?

Last edited by justin1123; Mar 22, 2021 at 10:17 am
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:12 pm

Make use of US DOT to extend your miles for one year for free

Anyone has miles expiring can follow the steps below to extend your miles for one year.

(1) Go to CX US website (MUST BE US SITE) https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US.html to book a ticket involving any US ports as origin or destination on your miles expiring date, e.g. 31 May 2021 before 23:59 HKG TIME using the miles plus cash option. Use up all your expiring miles to book the ticket.

(2) Tickets booked on the US site with any US ports in the itinerary can be cancelled free of charge within 24 hours under the US DOT policy. Make sure you CALL CX to cancel the tickets on 1 June (HKG TIME) and request a refund . Don’t use the online refund form.

(3) Cash portion will be refunded to your card and your miles will go back to your account with one year extension as a gesture of goodwill without charge.

Reminder:

You should check the time zone as you must follow HKG time. Set an alarm to remind yourself to cancel the ticket within 24 hours. NOTE THAT THE FIRST FLIGHT SHOULD BE MORE THAN 7 DAYS FROM THE TICKET ISSUING DATE, or otherwise not covered by US DOT.

Last edited by Donkitravel; Apr 9, 2021 at 11:48 pm
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Donkitravel
Anyone has miles expiring can follow the steps below to extend your miles for one year.

(1) Go to CX US website (MUST BE US SITE) https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US.html to book a ticket involving any US ports as origin or destination on your miles expiring date, e.g. 31 May 2021 before 23:59 HKG TIME using the miles plus cash option. Use up all your expiring miles to book the ticket.

(2) Tickets booked on the US site with any US ports in the itinerary can be cancelled free of charge within 24 hours under the US DOT policy. Make sure you CALL CX to cancel the tickets on 1 June (HKG TIME) and request a refund . Don’t use the online refund form.

(3) Cash portion will be refunded to your card and your miles will go back to your account with one year extension as a gesture of goodwill without charge.

Reminder:

You should check the time zone as you must follow HKG time. Set an alarm to remind yourself to cancel the ticket within 24 hours. NOTE THAT THE FIRST FLIGHT SHOULD BE MORE THAN 7 DAYS FROM THE TICKET ISSUING DATE, or otherwise not covered by US DOT.
Is there a reason why you need to do this on the day the miles expire? If you do this before, would the miles retain the same expiration date when cancelled?

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by benjinito
Is there a reason why you need to do this on the day the miles expire? If you do this before, would the miles retain the same expiration date when cancelled?

Thanks!
Yes. If the miles remain valid by the time of award ticket refund, it will have the same expiry date when deposited.
benjinito likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:54 am

Reminder:

is the above approach a better method? or is the 2 partner transfer challenge be a better option?

i think the latter allows you to "renew" the miles with expiration beyond 12 months, right?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
is the above approach a better method? or is the 2 partner transfer challenge be a better option?

i think the latter allows you to "renew" the miles with expiration beyond 12 months, right?
The latter will turn it into "new" miles (does not expire with activity in 18 months)
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:47 pm

Any confirmed DP as to whether transferring miles from Citi or AMEX into AM account will extend expiration date of new miles by another 18 months?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ankdc
Any confirmed DP as to whether transferring miles from Citi or AMEX into AM account will extend expiration date of new miles by another 18 months?
Yes, that will do. Note it may take a couple of days for the transfer to be completed, so leave some buffer time.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:33 am

Reminder:

i have a ticket booked now on partner airline, which i want to cancel.
it wasnt the intention to cancel, but i just found a better itinerary elsewhere.

some of the miles used for this partner flight are supposed to expire on April 30

so should i cancel the flight on May 1 in order to have a fresh expiration date?
if i cancel it on April 30 or before, i will get the miles with old expiration date?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: Alaska
it wasnt the intention to cancel, but i just found a better itinerary elsewhere.

some of the miles used for this partner flight are supposed to expire on April 30

so should i cancel the flight on May 1 in order to have a fresh expiration date?
if i cancel it on April 30 or before, i will get the miles with old expiration date?
you will get original expiration date if you cancel before it.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
you will get original expiration date if you cancel before it.
thanks. but i definitely wont lose my miles if i cancel it on May 1 or after, right?
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:22 am

if your ticket is booked previously , I don’t think the part that you have quoted apply to you.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
if your ticket is booked previously , I don’t think the part that you have quoted apply to you.
It is cheaper to reissue with a new itinerary. If you wish to cancel, do it on 1 May.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:10 am

thanks. but i definitely wont lose my miles if i cancel it on May 1 or after, right?
Right.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:17 pm

I was able to get the to apply the exception by chat. Will follow up once the points are restored.
alvinroast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.