Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Old May 11, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Stevenkun
Hi guys, I'm newbie in miles world. Haven't redeem any miles yet. Currently I have total 220K AM, and the very first 31.000 AM will expired on 31 May 2020. Anybody here have found "cheapest" way to extend one more year?
So far I've read all the post, the most make sense is to book flight before 31/5/2020 and then after 31/05/2020 cancel the flight with cancellation cost $120. It's that true? Thank you all.
Or you can book a flight that you believe will be eventually cancelled, and then you have a chance of not even needing to pay the 120USD fee.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Or you can book a flight that you believe will be eventually cancelled, and then you have a chance of not even needing to pay the 120USD fee.
ernestnywang Thanks.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
You can cross an anniversary (i.e. extend miles by one more year, if your anniversary date is 30 April) presently at most.

(31 May if cancellation policy is extended).
hello, may i know what anniversary refer to in this case?

i have 60k miles expiring on 30 April 2021, because these are earned before 1 Jan 2020, but i have no idea what my anniversary date is.

thank you
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
30 April
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
What would be a good candidate?
I have some AM expiring end the month Oct 31.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 2:46 pm

i have been reading past posts here and still not 100% clear, hope someone can help

so if i have 60k miles expiring on 30 April 2021, because these are earned before 1 Jan 2020, then what i should do is the following

- book an award flight that uses up 60k miles for travel in June/July 2021 (or any month after the expiration date), ideally one that will have high risk of cancellation by CX
- wait for CX to cancel on me, which typically happens 2-3 mo before the flight date
- call up CX and ask for miles to be reposted and fees to be refunded
- miles will repost with a new expiration date (30 April 2022)

i would like to know if the above has been happening consistently?

because i am also reading multiple reports where their CX award flights get cancelled, but miles were posted back with the old expiration date.
so why does that happen to them?
is it because the flights they booked are to be flown before the miles expiration date (ie 30 April 2021) in this case?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
Originally Posted by gnomey
because i am also reading multiple reports where their CX award flights get cancelled, but miles were posted back with the old expiration date.
so why does that happen to them?
is it because the flights they booked are to be flown before the miles expiration date (ie 30 April 2021) in this case?
Once a redemption flight is canceled CX will not refund the ticket (miles) unless the member asks them to. Their default next step is to protect you on another flight (which you can decline) or let you change travel dates/routes without penalty. If the cancellation happens before 30 April then you can choose to leave the ticket open and call up on 1 May to do the refund, as it has a validity of one year.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by KO2546
Once a redemption flight is canceled CX will not refund the ticket (miles) unless the member asks them to. Their default next step is to protect you on another flight (which you can decline) or let you change travel dates/routes without penalty. If the cancellation happens before 30 April then you can choose to leave the ticket open and call up on 1 May to do the refund, as it has a validity of one year.
thank you, this clears up a lot for me.

ok, so basically what you are saying is that the miles expiration extension +1 yr from original expiration date is actually due to the ticket being valid for 1 yr, and not any other arbitrary reason

is this +1 yr from issuance/booking date, or +1 yr from flight date? my understanding is that it is always counted from ticket issurance/booking date, and so therefore your new expiration date for miles will not exactly fall on 30 April 2022 but rather 1 yr from the time you have the ticket issued?.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
What would be a good candidate?
I have some AM expiring end the month Oct 31.
Don't know how many expiring miles you have, but someone at another thread I believe is suggesting IAD and SEA, as they do get consistently cancelled.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:21 am

I asked Asia Miles about extending my expiration date. The rep said that she couldn't extend the miles until they actually expire. When they do, I would have to call back and ask for an extension, at which Asia Miles will offer a "challenge" to extend the miles. The requirements are as follows: earn 3000 miles via TWO partners within 89 days. The examples she provided were to transfer X miles from AmEx and Y miles from a hotel rewards program.

Has anyone else heard of or tried this challenge?

The other alternative is to book an award before they expire and then cancel the award to have the miles redeposited with a new expiration date, which would be an additional year from the original expiration date of the miles.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:40 pm

I have around 170k Asia Miles expiring at 1/1/2021. I've done online chat with asiamiles website. The result is similar as what nomorecoach was told. I need to get 3k miles from two partners to extend my existing Asia Miles. I didn't go to details because I don't wanna invest more efforts in such an unreasonable and unfriendly airline company. Qantas and ANA extended the expiration of our miles due to COVID-19.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:51 pm

i would personally feel more comfortable if the challenge can be completed before the miles expiration.
did the CSR said that is this something you can only do AFTER the miles have expired?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by bulletin2007
I have around 170k Asia Miles expiring at 1/1/2021. I've done online chat with asiamiles website. The result is similar as what nomorecoach was told. I need to get 3k miles from two partners to extend my existing Asia Miles. I didn't go to details because I don't wanna invest more efforts in such an unreasonable and unfriendly airline company. Qantas and ANA extended the expiration of our miles due to COVID-19.
What will you do with your miles? Redeem them before Jan?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
i would personally feel more comfortable if the challenge can be completed before the miles expiration.
did the CSR said that is this something you can only do AFTER the miles have expired?
Yes, only after. Apparently, they can't do anything until the miles have already expired. It sounds really fishy. I'm hoping someone else can chime in with a data point on this challenge.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:26 am
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
I've got 38,000 miles expiring at the end of Feb, which also coincides with my end of membership year. Given I don't see any travel between now and then - thanks to quarantine requirements - I'm wondering when CX will announce a rollover of status & extension of miles.

Given how competitive their industry is likely to be once travel resumes, if they don't do both, I can see them losing quite a bit (more) goodwill and a lot of members

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.