Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sparkj
Could you make a fake booking in the near term (before May 31) where AM allows free refund/cancellation. Then just cancel, and your miles should be refunded with a refreshed expiry date.
I saw some bloggers mention similar things on FB but never looked into the details.
Plus any guideline only applies to tickets issued on or before that date.
sparkj likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
Oh, damn...
In that post his points were expiring Aug 2020, I wonder what would happen if say someone had miles expiring 30 April and cancelled in May? Imagine they would give a bit of breathing room, but probably perhaps only 1-2 months.
It would seriously suck to end up with a bunch of coupons and USB sticks
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
You can cross an anniversary (i.e. extend miles by one more year, if your anniversary date is 30 April) presently at most.

(31 May if cancellation policy is extended).
sparkj likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:50 am
Original Poster

You can cross an anniversary (i.e. extend miles by one more year, if your anniversary date is 30 April) presently at most.

(31 May if cancellation policy is extended).
Hello percysmith

I have 210k miles expiring 30 April 2020 (and 30 April 2020 is my anniversary date). Would you please guide me through how I could best achieve a one year extension on these miles, if that is possible?

The last thing I want to do is redeem for merchandise, vouchers, etc. Like many people my future travel plans are uncertain due to COVID-19. Once travel is safe I will likely travel from AU to HK and if it's really safe onwards to EU/USA.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:28 am

Book a large redemption covering more than 210k

Maybe R/T to Europe or North America (not LAX or YVR or JFK) in June

Then wait CX to cancel on you. Get extended to 30 April 2021.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:55 am

Hi percysmith,
I have a similar situation: 47K pts expires on Nov 30, 2020. The points were transferred to AM before Jan 1 2020. My goal is to use it for a 2 people trip to Japan fall season 2021. I live in Los Angeles and LAX is nearby. How do I extend the points for 2021 redemption? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by fandi; Apr 25, 2020 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

I would be very careful with such an approach.

If you book a trip, which is "possible" because of the flights, but not because of transit/visa/entry restrictions for you, you have not that many "cancel" options, since these limitations were already in place when you booked. The current free refund only applies until May 31 or flights booked before the limitations were raised.

Always think of the option "When traveling with a diplomatic passport", which in general waves many if not most of the government raised limitations for the general public.

And CX does not know whether you do have such a passport, so, it is your responsibility to check, if the flights you book now, will be possible for your situation/passport. So, if you -in the end, because cancel is not possible- show up for check-in, you may be denied, because your passport does not allow the trip and you loose all your points.

And, given you now largely can only book flights on a very limited flight schedule, it is quite likely, those flights will not be canceled.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by fandi
Hi percysmith,
I have a similar situation: 47K pts expires on Nov 30, 2020. The points were transferred to AM before Jan 1 2020. My goal is to use it for a 2 people trip to Japan fall season 2021. I live in Los Angeles and LAX is nearby. How do I extend the points for 2021 redemption? Thanks a lot.
You can redeem before 30NOV2020 for a ticket in the fall of 2021. You can book 360 days in advance (or, for standard award, 353 days in advance).

Originally Posted by Cambo
I would be very careful with such an approach.

If you book a trip, which is "possible" because of the flights, but not because of transit/visa/entry restrictions for you, you have not that many "cancel" options, since these limitations were already in place when you booked. The current free refund only applies until May 31 or flights booked before the limitations were raised.

Always think of the option "When traveling with a diplomatic passport", which in general waves many if not most of the government raised limitations for the general public.

And CX does not know whether you do have such a passport, so, it is your responsibility to check, if the flights you book now, will be possible for your situation/passport. So, if you -in the end, because cancel is not possible- show up for check-in, you may be denied, because your passport does not allow the trip and you loose all your points.

And, given you now largely can only book flights on a very limited flight schedule, it is quite likely, those flights will not be canceled.
With 210k AM, I would pay the refund fee (120USD or 12000AM) if need to. The key is to use up all 210k AM in one award ticket, so perhaps an ultra-long F round-trip standard award or a long (type 2) or ultra-long J round-trip choice award.
milypan, percysmith, fandi and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:55 pm

Thanks @ernestnywang
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by fandi; Apr 26, 2020 at 8:30 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
You can redeem before 30NOV2020 for a ticket in the fall of 2021. You can book 360 days in advance (or, for standard award, 353 days in advance).

With 210k AM, I would pay the refund fee (120USD or 12000AM) if need to. The key is to use up all 210k AM in one award ticket, so perhaps an ultra-long F round-trip standard award or a long (type 2) or ultra-long J round-trip choice award.
Yep, just do not forget, if the flight is not cancelled and you show up for the flight, though are not allowed the transit or entry, you will be denied boarding and I would expect your AMs are gone.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:12 am

Yep, just do not forget, if the flight is not cancelled and you show up for the flight, though are not allowed the transit or entry, you will be denied boarding and I would expect your AMs are gone.
Don’t no-show tickets can be subsequently cancelled for US$120/12,000 fee?

(wholly untraveled tickets, of course)

And I don’t think denied boarding is treated differently from no-show in this case.

Refunded miles, if expired, will be extended to next AM expiry.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:08 am

Don’t no-show tickets can be subsequently cancelled for US$120/12,000 fee?

(wholly untraveled tickets, of course)

And I don’t think denied boarding is treated differently from no-show in this case.

Refunded miles, if expired, will be extended to next AM expiry.
I would expect, if you nicely do on-line check-in and subsequently get denied boarding, your ticket will be officially void. What can be arranged in the margin is to be seen.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:43 am

I would expect, if you nicely do on-line check-in and subsequently get denied boarding, your ticket will be officially void. What can be arranged in the margin is to be seen.
Umm no I think if you don't board the coupon status will not be changed to USED. It will be reverted from CKIN to OPEN (or suspended, but that probably doesn't happen to AM tickets).
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Umm no I think if you don't board the coupon status will not be changed to USED. It will be reverted from CKIN to OPEN (or suspended, but that probably doesn't happen to AM tickets).
Well, maybe give it a try ?
Old May 11, 2020, 8:18 am

Hi guys, I'm newbie in miles world. Haven't redeem any miles yet. Currently I have total 220K AM, and the very first 31.000 AM will expired on 31 May 2020. Anybody here have found "cheapest" way to extend one more year?
So far I've read all the post, the most make sense is to book flight before 31/5/2020 and then after 31/05/2020 cancel the flight with cancellation cost $120. It's that true? Thank you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.