FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Will CX cut flights in April (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2011422-will-cx-cut-flights-april.html)

Cameron Tang Mar 4, 2020 2:55 am

Will CX cut flights in April

The immediate outlook is not good.

Will CX reduce flights in April?

CXFlyerBoy Mar 4, 2020 4:55 am

They are giving members relief points up to Apr. I see May as a plausible return.

garykung Mar 4, 2020 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Cameron Tang (Post 32139897)

Most likely yes.

If things start dial down, then further reduction may not be necessary. However, so far, things are getting worse than better (like Korea and Japan). I would say further cut can't be avoided.

percysmith Mar 4, 2020 5:24 am

They've already zeroed out some flights. For instance, HKG-SYD 5 Apr has been zeroed out from four to one, even if CX hasn't officially cancelled the other three.

Even if they don't, they have form in doing so up to four days before departure.

They're acting like a pukka Kong Girl - they can cancel on you, but not you on them.

tentseller Mar 4, 2020 6:56 am

CX 826/829 HKG-YYZ every other day now.

warakorn Mar 4, 2020 7:46 am

Of course CX will cancel even more flights in April.
Most large corporation (with fat travel budgets) are restricting its employees from travelling. CX will go under quickly if they fly empty air through the skies.

Kacee Mar 4, 2020 7:48 am

Yes, absolutely. Right now, the reductions are only scheduled through March 28. Expect even more drastic cuts for the next 30 days to be implemented within a matter of days. You can keep up to date by following Airlineroute Routesonline

AlwaysOnTheRoad Mar 4, 2020 8:28 am

CX flights in May reflect the schedule before all of the reductions. I do not believe for a moment that those flights will be operating in May.

Kacee Mar 4, 2020 9:52 am

It's actually borderline fraudulent for CX to be selling tix for flights they know they will not operate beginning March 29. For example, SFO-HKG, CX is still selling three dailies from March 29 on. The only question is when they will cut two of those, thus matching current operations.

If you buy a ticket on CX right now for travel March 29 or later, you are effectively buying into a schedule change.

Joe1690 Mar 4, 2020 3:39 pm

Yes, they most definitely will. I was trying to reschedule a trip to April from the end of March from EWR to MNL via HKG and as of this past Saturday the flight from EWR-HKG and return were available for booking. However, on Tuesday, when I checked availability again prior to calling in all of the flights from EWR-HKG and the return flights were zeroed out through the end of April. So this morning I thought about rebooking to May and checked Expertflyer and now all of the flights through May are zeroed out as well. As such, it seems likely these flights will be cancelled in the next few weeks. Numerous other flights I have looked at on Expertflyer from CX have also been zeroed out for April and May.

Kacee Mar 4, 2020 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Joe1690 (Post 32142476)
However, on Tuesday, when I checked availability again prior to calling in all of the flights from EWR-HKG and the return flights were zeroed out through the end of April. So this morning I thought about rebooking to May and checked Expertflyer and now all of the flights through May are zeroed out as well. As such, it seems likely these flights will be cancelled in the next few weeks. Numerous other flights I have looked at on Expertflyer from CX have also been zeroed out for April and May.

I think we can assume the same cuts that were made for the current period (including EWR-HKG) will be made for the subsequent period, and then some more.

CXFlyerBoy Mar 4, 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32141119)
It's actually borderline fraudulent for CX to be selling tix for flights they know they will not operate beginning March 29. For example, SFO-HKG, CX is still selling three dailies from March 29 on. The only question is when they will cut two of those, thus matching current operations.

If you buy a ticket on CX right now for travel March 29 or later, you are effectively buying into a schedule change.

ironically I cannot recall a single law globally that will play this to our favor as a consumer.

Kacee Mar 4, 2020 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy (Post 32142667)
ironically I cannot recall a single law globally that will play this to our favor as a consumer.

There's a solid argument it's a deceptive and/or fraudulent business practice under applicable US law. Specifically, that CX is basically tricking passengers to book seats on flights it knows will not operate, without disclosing that fact.

Unfortunately, DOT has exclusive jurisdiction to enforce the statute, and it's not likely they would, particularly under the current administration.

Arbeysix Mar 4, 2020 5:09 pm

I have to say, I think many of the comments on this thread are extremely harsh on CX. While I understand the frustrations of booking disruptions etc, this needs to be weighed against a situation that for any airline is extremely challenging to manage, let alone an airline that was already under significant pressure for reasons unrelated to the virus. This is an extremely cost intensive business and the impact of the current hit to cashflow must be massive. Against this backdrop IMO CX is doing the best it can to manage disruptions and taking appreciated and generous steps to retain loyalty. It will be very interesting to see how airlines in other regions handle these challenges once they reach a level that CX/other Asian carriers have had to manage. As for uncertainties associated with forward bookings into April/May, I can see how this must be particularly difficult to plan for. I'm sure there are many like me for whom the only reason we can't currently book CX is travel restrictions at port of arrival and who are itching to switch back to CX from the inferior substitutes we are currently flying out of necessity as soon as the restrictions are lifted.

percysmith Mar 4, 2020 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy (Post 32142667)

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32142690)
There's a solid argument it's a deceptive and/or fraudulent business practice under applicable US law. Specifically, that CX is basically tricking passengers to book seats on flights it knows will not operate, without disclosing that fact.

Unfortunately, DOT has exclusive jurisdiction to enforce the statute, and it's not likely they would, particularly under the current administration.

HK: Wrongly Accepting Payment https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/un...practices/p153 ?

(modeled on Australian Consumer Law https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/sa...ducts-services)

I wonder can it still be enforced on a non-HK resident dealing with CX as a HK company?