FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Membership Holiday during the 2019-nCov (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2007801-membership-holiday-during-2019-ncov.html)

FlyPointyEnd Feb 6, 2020 5:32 am

Membership Holiday during the 2019-nCov

Cathay Pacific has just updated their ticketing guidelines for the Philippines to cover flights until March 28,2020...Considering that Filipino members cannot fly to/through Hong Kong for the time being, I’m curious if there are any Marco Polo Members who have availed of the membership holiday?

I’m 10pts away from 1200 and my membership year ends on June 2020, considering I have 4 months left, I’m seriously considering taking it and just resume in July, that’s if things improve by then or maybe I should ask for a longer holiday?

beach86 Feb 6, 2020 5:40 am

Great idea, what are the T&C's regarding taking a holiday? We are slowly reducing to non-essential travel only, meaning many of my flights are being pushed back. I've just renewed DM, but with the next 2 months being cleared of flights, I might not be able to renew.

FlyPointyEnd Feb 6, 2020 5:56 am

Originally Posted by beach86 (Post 32039198)
Great idea, what are the T&C's regarding taking a holiday? We are slowly reducing to non-essential travel only, meaning many of my flights are being pushed back. I've just renewed DM, but with the next 2 months being cleared of flights, I might not be able to renew.

Maximum of 12 months and you can take up to 3 times in your membership lifetime.

CXYYZ Feb 6, 2020 6:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 32039178)
I’m 10pts away from 1200 and my membership year ends on June 2020, considering I have 4 months left, I’m seriously considering taking it and just resume in July, that’s if things improve by then or maybe I should ask for a longer holiday?

makes no sense to me for you to use up one of your membership holidays for this. With only 10 points needed, I’d be comfortable either gambling on things becoming safe by June or on CX demonstrating leniency on renewals. Alternatively, you could do a flight on MH now to lock in the points if you’re feeling more risk averse.

ernestnywang Feb 6, 2020 7:19 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 32039178)
Cathay Pacific has just updated their ticketing guidelines for the Philippines to cover flights until March 28,2020...Considering that Filipino members cannot fly to/through Hong Kong for the time being, I’m curious if there are any Marco Polo Members who have availed of the membership holiday?

I would wait a bit longer. CX extended everyone's status in the year of SARS. Even if CX will not auto-extend, I think chances are they will lower the threshold. You can only use membership holiday 3 times in a lifetime, so don't waste one now. You can wait till mid-May if CX really doesn't have a new policy.

Originally Posted by beach86 (Post 32039198)

You can find it at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-POLO-CLUB_1_3 --> Terms and Conditions related to Marco Polo Club benefits --> 19. Membership Holiday

kijhkijh Feb 6, 2020 7:40 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 32039557)
I would wait a bit longer. CX extended everyone's status in the year of SARS. Even if CX will not auto-extend, I think chances are they will lower the threshold. You can only use membership holiday 3 times in a lifetime, so don't waste one now. You can wait till mid-May if CX really doesn't have a new policy.

You can find it at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-POLO-CLUB_1_3 --> Terms and Conditions related to Marco Polo Club benefits --> 19. Membership Holiday

My membership just got renewed at the beginning of the month and I had been planning to take a 11 month holiday from Mar 1st till next year Jan 31st anyway (I am guessing that way I can keep my membership cycle and I am getting 13 months out of this cycle?), but after reading the above about the possibility of auto-extend... Don't know if I want to use up my 1 in 3 a life time chance now or what. Like a typhoons 8 while on annual leave... 🤦🏻

Conkers Feb 8, 2020 10:16 pm

I imagine DMP spending threshold (top 1% of DM by spend) will likely have collapsed too.......

rickliu2000 Feb 9, 2020 1:33 am

Air China has extended their membership to 2 years after the breakout
I hope Cathay could do the same or similar thing

Ad Hoc David Feb 13, 2020 11:49 am

I am considering the same. I expect would only have 475 cp till the end of this membership - Aug 2020, not sure if that's enough to renew Gold. Any thought?

wyskevin Feb 19, 2020 2:19 am

I am thinking about the same thing.
I just renew my status this month and the new one expires in Feb, 2021.
I predict I will not be flying until May. Maybe I should have a 2 months holiday???

Rain187 Feb 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by rickliu2000 (Post 32050129)
Air China has extended their membership to 2 years after the breakout
I hope Cathay could do the same or similar thing

Singapore airline has also extended their membership for one more year because of this outbreak, they just announced yesterday.
Hope CX will do the same otherwise it will be pretty hard to renew.

percysmith Feb 20, 2020 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rain187 (Post 32095963)
Singapore airline has also extended their membership for one more year because of this outbreak, they just announced yesterday.
Hope CX will do the same otherwise it will be pretty hard to renew.

Not one more year, only the months from orig expiry to Feb 2021.

Say your orig qualification was Oct 2019, orig expiry was Oct 2020.

Your qualification is deemed to be Feb 2020.
Your expiry is now Feb 2021.

That's not 12 months, that's "up to" 12 months. Not as generous as IHG/Hilton/Hyatt programs that pushed everyone out by full 12 months.

KCJ Feb 21, 2020 2:00 am

percysmith Just wondering how do you know it is only the months from orig expiry to Feb 2021?

If my orig expiry is Aug 2020, so my new expiry date is Feb 2021? Is it right?

percysmith Feb 21, 2020 2:12 am

carrotjuice I was going by this https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/02/20/...irus-outbreak/ . I'm not sure if true for all members.

G-CIVC Feb 21, 2020 2:45 am

Only fallback for a potential 1 year extension would be ‘wasting’ the BUDs’ maximum value as status retention accelerators (given their expiry would not be extended in tandem I guess); but that’s a small price I don’t mind paying for an extra 12 months of membership for $0...