Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Hey I just want to add a data point. My friend was going to take CX's TPE-NRT today. At check-in, she was told that because the flight originated from HKG, even if she was only taking TPE-NRT, she would still need to be quarantined for 14 days in Japan upon arrival (whereas this would not be the case if she bought another carrier whose flight was just between TPE and NRT). At the end she bought a LCC last minute.

CX still has TPE-NRT/KIX for the next 3 days, so I thought I would let people know.

Btw, the load factor of HKG-TPE-NRT is very low today, below 4% (15~16 pax only).
Thanks @ernestnywang. CX confirmed it as much in their travel restrictions notice.

Last edited by flubber; Mar 9, 2020 at 9:45 am Reason: Putting in screenshot
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by flubber
Thanks @ernestnywang. CX confirmed it as much in their travel restrictions notice.
Umm I can't seem to see the picture you were trying to post except a bunch of unreadable codes. Not sure if my browser has problem?

If you are referring to https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html, I don't see anything that says Taiwanese originating from Taiwan would be subject to quarantine just because they are taking a TPE-Japan CX flight that came from HKG. It only says pax from HKG would be subject to quarantine even if the flight stops at TPE.

Note: Passengers transiting from Hong Kong to Japan will also be required to undergo compulsory quarantine. (i.e. passengers on multi-leg flights from Hong Kong to Taipei, Taipei to Tokyo-Narita and Osaka-Kansai)
Furthermore, the Chinese page at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/zh_...trictions.html doesn't even have this sentence above.

According to my friend, the CX check-in agent told her that they only received this message late last night (08MAR) and didn't have the chance to read it until this morning (09MAR).
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by flubber

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Umm I can't seem to see the picture you were trying to post except a bunch of unreadable codes. Not sure if my browser has problem?
Fixed
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by lcpteck
My Mom is in TPE right now and she's returning to IAD on April 25 TPE-HKG-IAD. It seems IAD flights are suspended till March 28.

Based on the travel advisorys, it seems they are waiving the rerouting/rebooking fees. But since it has to be CX and the only flight to IAD is via HKG, so she's stuck with that flight and can't change to another airline with a more direct routing from TPE.

TPE-HKG CX445
HKG-IAD CX866

She can arrive into any of the WAS airports (IAD/DCA/BWI).
They rebooked me HKG-LAX-IAD/DCA (LAX-IAD/DCA on AA). You could also do HKG-ORD/BOS/SFO/JFK-IAD.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
They rebooked me HKG-LAX-IAD/DCA (LAX-IAD/DCA on AA). You could also do HKG-ORD/BOS/SFO/JFK-IAD.
They rebooked my BKK>HKG>IAD to BKK>HKG>LAX>DCA as well but the negative was it doubled the length of my trip from 20ish to 40ish hours (due to long/overnight layovers) so I cancelled.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by nov11
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
They rebooked my BKK>HKG>IAD to BKK>HKG>LAX>DCA as well but the negative was it doubled the length of my trip from 20ish to 40ish hours (due to long/overnight layovers) so I cancelled.
I guess there's no way to avoid HKG right? Trying to see if she can fly direct from TPE to USA but not possible since it has to be on CX/KA.
percysmith likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: CX Gold
Special update

KA 376 Departing on Mon, 27 Apr 2020

Scheduled departure: 10:55
Scheduled arrival: 13:05

KA 375 Departing on Mon, 11 May 2020

Scheduled departure: 08:00
Scheduled arrival: 10:00 Booking reference: XXXXXX Due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and subsequent changes to our network, your flight has been cancelled.

You are able to claim a refund for those parts of your journey that have not yet been taken. If you booked directly with us, you can request the refund through Manage Booking on cathaypacific.com. Otherwise, please contact your travel agent.

If you have any associated expenses resulting from this cancellation and you intend to make a travel insurance claim, please use this email in support of your claim.

On behalf of Cathay Pacific, our sincere apologies for this late notice change to your travel plans.
Got this email from CX. So I went to Manage Booking and cancelled my flight. But I don’t know if I will get a full refund, no mention whatsoever.

BTW, this itinerary includes a connecting flight to ZRH, which I also cancelled.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:34 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Anyone have any data points on how long the auto re-booking is taking? I noticed on Thursday they cancelled the HKG-JFK flight I was originally scheduled for 2 April. It is only a few weeks out so I want to try to see what they do with my ticket.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by A4K
Anyone have any data points on how long the auto re-booking is taking? I noticed on Thursday they cancelled the HKG-JFK flight I was originally scheduled for 2 April. It is only a few weeks out so I want to try to see what they do with my ticket.
I think it was 3-4 days between notification of my cancelled IAD flight (they suspended the whole thing) and getting my new itinerary but I don't think it was automated because they had to route me through LAX and then on to Delta.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
An "auto" rebooking is not that "the system" decides what is being done. More that a CX staff member checks for alternatives for a bunch of passengers with similar requirements, checks own metal, makes agreements with other airlines, if applicable, and then in one go, changes the booking for the whole group, based on the parameters for that group.

AI is nice, but can only work inside the ueber dimensional space, where it did learn from previous examples. AI is pretty useless to operate on its own outside that space. You need the human ingenuity to deal with that. There are reasons why more than level 3 automated cars are already considered to be impossible by many automobile manufacturers.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
BOS-HKG F cancelled, called MPC SL/GO line, offered nothing but to postpone by 2 days. Said have to pay extra to change to JFK-HKG, would not allow rerouting on AA+CX. Gonna call reservations again when HK office opens in the morning, do you think they would be able to do BOS (aa)-LAX (cx)-HKG? Or am I stuck with BOS-HKG 2 days later?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by b.xiao
BOS-HKG F cancelled, called MPC SL/GO line, offered nothing but to postpone by 2 days. Said have to pay extra to change to JFK-HKG, would not allow rerouting on AA+CX. Gonna call reservations again when HK office opens in the morning, do you think they would be able to do BOS (aa)-LAX (cx)-HKG? Or am I stuck with BOS-HKG 2 days later?
My $0.02 but you'll only go on AA if the CX route is gone, like IAD-HKG
36902BRF and b.xiao like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:40 am

so a friend of mine and I had booked flights to Cambodia & Vietnam through AmEx Travel (the web based Expedia based one, not the REAL PTS desk) and need to cancel it. Dealing with the "fake" AmEx travel aside, my friend finally got through to someone and they said while the itinerary is able to be cancelled, Cathay Pacific appears to be have a "sliding cancellation window" and will only cancel within 3 days of the flight. And to call back in a few days and try again.

Anyone heard anything about that?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by phelme
so a friend of mine and I had booked flights to Cambodia & Vietnam through AmEx Travel (the web based Expedia based one, not the REAL PTS desk) and need to cancel it. Dealing with the "fake" AmEx travel aside, my friend finally got through to someone and they said while the itinerary is able to be cancelled, Cathay Pacific appears to be have a "sliding cancellation window" and will only cancel within 3 days of the flight. And to call back in a few days and try again.

Anyone heard anything about that?
When are your dates of travel again? If it is before 31 May, it’s already a global waiver on refunds even if flights not cancelled - Expedia should do it or get Amex to chargeback Expedia.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
When are your dates of travel again? If it is before 31 May, it’s already a global waiver on refunds even if flights not cancelled - Expedia should do it or get Amex to chargeback Expedia.
March 24th - April 20th, booked last autumn

I'm working on the staying on hold angle in addition to contacting AmEx Platinum Travel's office to see if they can cancel, read a rumor they have access to Expedia's reservation system now (which they didn't earlier in the week). Apparently AmEx won't allow filing a "dispute" against amextravel.com (Expedia) as they consider this a "sister company" relationship.

Kind of shocked SFO-HKG on my dates haven't been cancelled by now. Maybe there are still running the route for cargo purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.