Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by blum81
They gave me the option of a full refund which I'm debating right now. My purpose to head back home is to renew my passport so I'm only in Vancouver for a few days then back to KL. Embassy here in KL said it would take 4-6 weeks to get my passport back which is too long.

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions going into Canada if you've spent a night in HK?
Is it safe to enter HK for a night?
I think the Malaysian consulate in NYC still issues passports (please check if you are eligible before you buy the air ticket - I believe they only issue if you are US-based). You can get a new passport in NYC Consulate in one day.

Whilst an overnight in HK isn't ideal, it's relatively cheap right now for a room in HK. There are only 102 cases in HK (as of today) - I think you'll be fine. Canada has not imposed any restrictions so far.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Kacee
Based on the crap CX is now pulling, I've just decided to book my next ticket on another carrier, likely JL, which has adopted an extremely generous waiver policy. The JL ticket is also about $350 US cheaper.
To some people it doesn't matter - after Coronavirus is all said and done, and if we're not all dead, most people will forget and go back to choosing the cheapest fare for the shortest travel time (highest frequency).

But chasing the bottom of the market is where CX will stay - it can't raise prices, because some of us do remember, like elephants.
estnet likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 4, 2020 at 5:47 pm
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
... some people will forget and go back to choosing the cheapest fare for the shortest travel time (highest frequency)....
Isn't that the model that LCC and ULCC count on and have done very well at... low cost / quickest route wins.
percysmith likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Such a strange situation.... When I called CX (not status - traveling on an AA reward ticket) I was told they WOULD cover and take care of a hotel room due to the flight change.

We decided to play it safe and head home
early versus staying in HK.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:28 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by nov11
I think the Malaysian consulate in NYC still issues passports (please check if you are eligible before you buy the air ticket - I believe they only issue if you are US-based). You can get a new passport in NYC Consulate in one day.

Whilst an overnight in HK isn't ideal, it's relatively cheap right now for a room in HK. There are only 102 cases in HK (as of today) - I think you'll be fine. Canada has not imposed any restrictions so far.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually Canadian so going back to Vancouver and doing a 24 hour renewal is faster than me handing my passport over to the Canadian Embassy in Malaysia. I'm on a time crunch since I need to get my work permit renewed.

I'll probably head into central for a night and have a few beers.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually Canadian so going back to Vancouver and doing a 24 hour renewal is faster than me handing my passport over to the Canadian Embassy in Malaysia. I'm on a time crunch since I need to get my work permit renewed.
My apologies. I misread thinking you are a Malaysian and needed to go back to Malaysia and renew your passport.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:03 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by nov11
My apologies. I misread thinking you are a Malaysian and needed to go back to Malaysia and renew your passport.
Nah, other way around except Canada
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, United MileagePlus Gold, Accor Platinum
HKG-DUB

Booked Hong Kong to Dublin CX301 departing in June. Suppose the seasonal service will start again in summer. Just received an email saying that, for operational and commercial reasons, the flight has been cancelled. Tried to find any direct flights around the time but cannot find any now. Wonder if Dublin has already been officially withdrawn from Cathay's network since then...
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Thanks for the reply.

I'll probably head into central for a night and have a few beers.
Have you considered HK Canada passport office? There is a daily diplomatic shipment between HKG and YOW.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:15 am

Another round of cancellations kicking off

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...315841000.html (ignore the reference to May 5, the Japanese original says 5日)

Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:33 am

FYI, Thailand announced a 14 day self-quarantine period. Includes transit through HK and Macao:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...-from-6-places
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by triks
FYI, Thailand announced a 14 day self-quarantine period. Includes transit through HK and Macao:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...-from-6-places
Withdrawn...

Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Withdrawn...

It looks like Bangkok Post was reporting on old news and then withdrew it.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by triks
It looks like Bangkok Post was reporting on old news and then withdrew it.
Nope. Is real.
No idea why Bangkok Post withdrew original piece
Effective Friday 00:00

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSL4N2AX2JI

Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:13 am

[Deleted, Bangkok is an hour behind us, not ahead. If Thai health authorities count landing time, stranded pax can be minimised]

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 5, 2020 at 8:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.