Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Global321
Similar situation for Mrs. Global on a mileage ticket -

Had morning flight BKK-HKG. Then HKG-ORD.
CX moved her to BKK-HKG the night before, resulting in a 13 hour overnight in HKG.
She switched to the next day via Tokyo on JAL.

We will probably bail on the whole trip. Not worth the risk.
Did CX protected her on JL? Could you please let us know if this mileage ticket is from Asia Miles?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Did CX protected her on JL? Could you please let us know if this mileage ticket is from Asia Miles?
Sorry should have included more information:
No CX did not protect her.
She searched and found another seat open.
Flight was booked using AA miles.
She called AA and made the switch and routed through BOS.
ernestnywang and percysmith like this.

Last edited by Global321; Feb 28, 2020 at 10:48 am
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:24 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by moondog
I didn't need to read any Wechat posts to figure out this strategy. I just finished my 14 days outside of China, so I guess I'm free to travel pretty much anywhere. The annoying thing is that clients I was planning on visiting in HK and Macau are going to work from home again next week. I also have clients in India and Vietnam, but I rarely need to visit them in person. Basically, I'm looking at spending another week in Thailand (not a horrible option), or going back to Shanghai, and hoping that HK redacts the 14 day rule. I honestly can't imagine catching covid in Shanghai these days since contact with other humans is such a rarity.
AU may ban this loophole soon https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/aeanews/...00912_001.html
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by pedanticus
I was just informed by email that my CX825 flight has been changed to CX829. That's YYZ-HKG, 01:15 departure instead of 14:10 departure. I anticipated this. The email is worded in such as a way as to avoid saying that CX825 was cancelled. It's a "flight rearrangement", and my "flight CX825 has been rebooked to flight CX829." Anyhow, I'm going to cancel this booking and opt for a refund. Prior to today I could cancel online and receive a refund less a $200/person cancellation fee. When I log in now and attempt to cancel it doesn't tell me what the refund will be (full or less $200 or something else entirely). I'm hesitant to click the cancel button online without having a full understanding of what sort of refund I'll be receiving, so I plan to call in and work through this with a customer service representative.

Am I entitled to a full refund, or to the fare less $200? Does article 10.2 of the conditions of carriage apply, or is this not deemed a cancellation of the flight?
Got a refund today, less $200/person. I'll be following up, perhaps in vain, to get that cancellation fee refunded.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Got a refund today, less $200/person. I'll be following up, perhaps in vain, to get that cancellation fee refunded.
Absolutely get that $ 200 back because Cathay Cancelled your flight, I would advise to email ( [email protected] ) them instead of calling unless you have time. It may take 24 to 48 hours for a response but they will respond. Make sure you mentioned that Cathay had cancelled your original flight.

Last edited by Eagle2000; Mar 3, 2020 at 5:49 am Reason: add email
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by eagle215
Absolutely get that $ 200 back because Cathay Cancelled your flight, I would advise to email them instead of calling unless you have time. It may take 24 to 48 hours for a response but they will respond.
Do you happen to have an email address that works? I’ve tried a couple I saw posted but they bounced back.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Do you happen to have an email address that works? I’ve tried a couple I saw posted but they bounced back.
[email protected]
pedanticus likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:17 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
ok so I woke up this morning and it appears the first leg of my trip home to YVR has been canceled.

KA728 KUL to HKG March 11th - Canceled

Rebooked a day ahead on

KA 734 KUL to HKG March 10th

This means I have to stay a night in Hong Kong because my YVR flight isn't until March 11th 4:00pm.

Is CX doing any compensation if they require you to stay a night in a city because of their cancellations?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by blum81
Is CX doing any compensation if they require you to stay a night in a city because of their cancellations?
Well ​​​​​garykung and I discussed last month what do CX's obligations under Montreal Convention mean https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31847919. Will be nice for garykung to give a take on this one.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Well ​​​​​garykung and I discussed last month what do CX's obligations under Montreal Convention mean https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31847919. Will be nice for garykung to give a take on this one.

At this rate I'm not sure if CX will honor the MC

This really sucks. Now I have to leave a day ahead, cancel my Tuesday meetings and fork out cash for a night in HK.

I'll give the MPC Diamond number a call in a bit and report back to the forum.
percysmith likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:10 pm

At this rate I'm not sure if CX will honor the MC

This really sucks. Now I have to leave a day ahead, cancel my Tuesday meetings and fork out cash for a night in HK.

I'll give the MPC Diamond number a call in a bit and report back to the forum.

Well that was a waste of 10mins.

Call agent told me there's nothing he can do, but send an email, they will get back to you within 3-7 days.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
ok so I woke up this morning and it appears the first leg of my trip home to YVR has been canceled.

KA728 KUL to HKG March 11th - Canceled

Rebooked a day ahead on

KA 734 KUL to HKG March 10th

This means I have to stay a night in Hong Kong because my YVR flight isn't until March 11th 4:00pm.

Is there an earlier YVR flight? Maybe they could put you on that one.

I just checked. there are 2 flights leaving on the 10th but I'm guessing both are before KA734 lands in HKG.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Is there an earlier YVR flight? Maybe they could put you on that one.
i checked but nope. normally there's CX888 which would have been fine because I'd leave at 12am-2am but that flight is canceled. The next available flight is CX838 which I'm already booked on.

They gave me the option of a full refund which I'm debating right now. My purpose to head back home is to renew my passport so I'm only in Vancouver for a few days then back to KL. Embassy here in KL said it would take 4-6 weeks to get my passport back which is too long.

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions going into Canada if you've spent a night in HK?
Is it safe to enter HK for a night?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
i checked but nope. normally there's CX888 which would have been fine because I'd leave at 12am-2am but that flight is canceled. The next available flight is CX838 which I'm already booked on.

They gave me the option of a full refund which I'm debating right now. My purpose to head back home is to renew my passport so I'm only in Vancouver for a few days then back to KL. Embassy here in KL said it would take 4-6 weeks to get my passport back which is too long.

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions going into Canada if you've spent a night in HK?
Is it safe to enter HK for a night?
I don't know about passports but I think for visas they send into a different embassy in the region for printing. You may want to check which city does their passport and maybe fly there for renewals?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I don't know about passports but I think for visas they send into a different embassy in the region for printing. You may want to check which city does their passport and maybe fly there for renewals?
Canada Embassy in Malaysia told me they send to Canada for processing which is why it takes so long. So they actually said if you have a chance to go back and do it, do it that way.

I need my new passport back before the end of march to prepare for my work permit renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.