Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Old Feb 18, 20, 8:01 am
  #166  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: HK
Programs: CX Silver, SPG
Posts: 145
Angry

Originally Posted by simonjp View Post
I have had a redemption booking on CX143 HKG-PER in late March. This disappeared straight away from the online reservation system after the service reduction was announced, so I contacted customer services on Twitter as usually they are very good. This time, however, they did not seem to understand the problem, as they simply said that they could see my flight in the booking and that it was confirmed. I tried again, but they offered to email me my itinerary (of which I can obviously access online in my account). I sent a message back with a screenshot showing the absence of the flight on the online reservation system, but have not heard back yet.

This morning I received a rebooking email, saying I am moved to CX171, which is about six hours earlier than CX143 (the red eye). No big deal; just need to take an extra day off work and also spend one extra night on the ground.

Whilst I know CX's CS is busy, I think it is better to tell your customers to at least look out for updates or similar as the original flight might be cancelled in this case, as opposed to saying everything is fine.
Update - Today I got shuffled again from the CX171 the same day to CX171 the next day due to second cancellation. Now arriving at 22:20 instead of 05:00 when compared to original booking. Luckily, our internal flight is not until the next day at lunchtime. The flight out from HKG is still half empty in J; coming back two weeks later is even less busy.

Last edited by simonjp; Feb 18, 20 at 8:53 pm
simonjp is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:25 am
  #167  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: YYZ
Programs: AF, Aeroplan
Posts: 304
Originally Posted by eagle215 View Post
Just an update:

I called in to cancel my air and hotel package. I called in right at opening of the Vancouver office and got through immediately. I told her that Cathay had cancelled my flight and as per the holiday package I was entitled to a full refund. She concurred put me on hold for about 3 minutes and said the refund maybe refunded in 4 to 6 weeks, she apologized profusely and explained that because of the dollar amount it had to get approval from head office (HK) first and that may take some time as many are getting refunds that require HK approval. I was like what can I do but wait. fingers crossed I get my refund earlier.
last update:

So I got my refund today via my credit card! Pretty content about that considering I was expecting it to be returned much later....FYI called in Feb 16 2020, refund Feb 19 2020
eagle215 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 20, 9:35 pm
  #168  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE ASIA
Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Posts: 621
Lightbulb More changes - communicated via emails + SMS

OK before I go on - & without quoting anyone so as not to make it personal, this has been my experience with the recent massive changes @ CX - that's right, it's so massive it deserves a red BOLD font :

1. Email on 7 Feb Fri. night re: schedule changes & canx. - the confirmed revised itin. came about 4-5 days later
2. Called in a week ago & spoke to a very helpful & surprisingly cheery "Pinay" - she was awesome!
3. Another email/SMS combi came last night @ BKK time 9.40pm & 12.10am

I'm not an CX apologist as I don't fly them often enough, though they are in my TOP 3 fav. airline in the world (it shouldn't be too hard to guess the other 2, & no it's not OZ - I've not flown with them ever ) - my experience has been positive so far, barring all the changes including the new ones 12 hours ago.

Sure - please vent & cuss at them if it makes you feel better but I really don't think / am very certain that CX is grasping at straws (awesome phrase btw, I thought it was "clinging" at first, though clutching is also used) & fighting hard to survive right now

This is the email that I received @ midnight this morning -

CHANGES TO YOUR UPCOMING FLIGHT
Your flight to New York, John F Kennedy has been re-booked to a new flight. This re-booking is due to unexpected schedule changes as a result of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
New departure time:
01:25 Fri, 28 Feb 2020


The first change was to CX 690 + CX 846 @ FEB 27, & now it's CX 714 + CX 846 @ FEB 28

I did a quick check, it seems that 690 has been canx. on the 23rd, 25-27th (?) & early to end March, & 846 may become the only JFK flight exHKG - according to the CX timetable - it's all very confusing ..

The resident CX experts on here can confirm if that is correct

I made alternative plans & moved on - I don't feel any anger or resentment towards the airline & I really do hope they pull thru' *fingers crossed*
As for the canx. I'll just cancel online if the hold time is too long this weekend - it seems like it will be as there's been another round of changes?

Good luck if you have been affected & safe travels to all
kaffir76 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 20, 9:48 pm
  #169  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 18,020
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
Your flight to New York, John F Kennedy has been re-booked to a new flight. This re-booking is due to unexpected schedule changes as a result of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Bull - it's a commercial decision. US has not imposed quarantine restrictions on HK as of the time they did the cancellation and HKG isn't shutting itself down either.

Similar arguments came up when JQHK's ATLA application was being considered https://webb-site.com/dbpub/artlinks.asp?s=7967:

16m26s
Slosar: Remember SARs, we had SARS, and not that long ago, we tend to forget, but, a huge number of foreign airlines abandoned Hong Kong at that point, because they have interests elsewhere - they can pull their planes off, go somewhere else, it just wasn't their Principal Place of Business.
[they digress before Webb was given an opportunity to respond]
20m7s
Webb: And when we have big shocks like SARS, even Cathay cuts capacity on routes, and parks airliners in the desert.

So next time, whenever CX plays the We Are Hong Kong card, or there's an error fare to be snapped up, remember this moment and what they did.

Also see:

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 12, 20 at 3:15 am
percysmith is offline  
Old Feb 21, 20, 9:50 pm
  #170  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE ASIA
Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Posts: 621
Talking Sawasdee krub from BKK

Originally Posted by ph-ndr View Post
Just some quick data points:
Had a ticket for SIN-BKK, was told the flight is cancelled, called in, was told they wanted to move my booking up one day or one day later. I told them I need to be in BKK at the scheduled time due to other arrangements, and was told they may consider letting me fly SIN-HKG-BKK on the same ticket, but getting re-booked on anything flying SIN-BKK was just not going to happen.
-A
Hello to my fellow QR PC member
I guess you must be traveling these few days to BKK? The SINBKK flight was canx. begining Feb. 20 which was the date I got to BKK. I was originally going to book CX but since it was a short trip, & I needed a late afternoon flight back to SIN so I didn't - ended up flying with SQ - the return flight is a bit later than I wanted but that was fine to avoid any traffic

Which now seems to be moot coz it's been very quite at the airports, on board & on the BTS/ARL & it seems the streets aren't as crowded with cars as before
The only thing is that there are tons of Chinese at my hotel, and on the streets - the hotel is 95% full (it was also my guess) but the staff said that they are stuck here coz' they can't go home or to where they were planning to due to quarantine laws etc.

I have nicknamed the hotel b/fast dining room as the GREAT PRC dining hall

As for flying SIN-HKG-BKK, my advice is don't do it - I did BKK-HKG-SIN last month & it was pretty long & tiring. Although I managed to get a cabana room for 90 mins. & had time to sit down in the dining room for a meal - I wouldn't do it again. Esp. now that parts of the airport are closed & one of the F lounges too - the one which I have not had a chance to visit & I was planning to do it next week otw to EWR ..
oh well, I'll just have to wait till APR. 2022 when I get my OWE back
#longtermgoals
fallinasleep likes this.
kaffir76 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 20, 9:58 pm
  #171  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE ASIA
Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Posts: 621
Email address if anyone needs to contact AM :

[email protected]
22 February 2020
8:01 AM

Dear Mr XXX,
We are writing in relation to your Flight Award booking reference XXXX
In light of the evolving situation regarding the novel coronavirus, we regret to inform you that your upcoming flight(s) may be affected.
If you have already made changes to this Flight Award or would like to keep your flight(s), please ignore this email.
If you have any enquiry or would like to modify your flight(s), please reply to this email with the following information:
- Preferred Flight Date/ Time
- Preferred Destination
We will endeavor to get back to you in 5 days upon receipt of your reply.
You may also view the latest Special Ticketing Guidelines and travel advisory for further details.
Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for your understanding.
Yours sincerely,
The Asia Miles Team
kaffir76 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 1:21 am
  #172  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,201
For those with cancelled flights, how far in advance did CX inform you? I recall one comment on FT about pax getting cancelled after checking in for their flight, but is a last-minute (or within a few days of departure) cancellation the norm?

I have a flight to BKK (CX619) in about two weeks, but I'm debating whether to finish making further plans. It's not an essential trip. Seems the flight is unlikely to be cancelled, as it has been flying consistently the past couple of weeks and CX is still flying 3-4 flights daily (although I noticed some days dropping to 2 in the next two weeks).
fallinasleep is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:02 am
  #173  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Programs: QR Plat
Posts: 2,284
Originally Posted by fallinasleep View Post
For those with cancelled flights, how far in advance did CX inform you? I recall one comment on FT about pax getting cancelled after checking in for their flight, but is a last-minute (or within a few days of departure) cancellation the norm?
I had the experience of cancellation after being checked in. I have no idea how common it is, but with all things going on now I wouldn't be surprised if others get the same experience as things seem to change rapidly.

-A
ph-ndr is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:08 am
  #174  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Programs: QR Plat
Posts: 2,284
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
Hello to my fellow QR PC member
Ni hao!

Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
I guess you must be traveling these few days to BKK? The SINBKK flight was canx. begining Feb. 20 which was the date I got to BKK. I was originally going to book CX but since it was a short trip, & I needed a late afternoon flight back to SIN so I didn't - ended up flying with SQ - the return flight is a bit later than I wanted but that was fine to avoid any traffic
I ended up taking SQ up, it worked just fine, it's limited how much a 2 hour flight can go wrong.

Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
Which now seems to be moot coz it's been very quite at the airports, on board & on the BTS/ARL & it seems the streets aren't as crowded with cars as before
The only thing is that there are tons of Chinese at my hotel, and on the streets - the hotel is 95% full (it was also my guess) but the staff said that they are stuck here coz' they can't go home or to where they were planning to due to quarantine laws etc.

I have nicknamed the hotel b/fast dining room as the GREAT PRC dining hall
I noticed the airport in BKK was much quieter than usual for a midday arrival, but not nearly as abandoned as SIN (or even Singapore downtown in general).

My hotel has a contingent of chinese, luckily they don't get up for breakfast when I do (before 06:00), but I've run across a few during daytime and they are as obnoxious and annoying as the stereotypical mainland tourists are made out to be. I ran into the property GM and have let him know that I represent an insignificant portion of his revenue but I'm very democratic minded with voting with my wallet.

Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
As for flying SIN-HKG-BKK, my advice is don't do it - I did BKK-HKG-SIN last month & it was pretty long & tiring. Although I managed to get a cabana room for 90 mins. & had time to sit down in the dining room for a meal - I wouldn't do it again. Esp. now that parts of the airport are closed & one of the F lounges too - the one which I have not had a chance to visit & I was planning to do it next week otw to EWR ..
That is why I kinda halfway pondered accepting SIN-HKG-BKK, until I read that the fun lounges were all closed and catering scaled back to a pot of bird seed to share.

-A
ph-ndr is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 3:57 am
  #175  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,201
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
Which now seems to be moot coz it's been very quite at the airports, on board & on the BTS/ARL & it seems the streets aren't as crowded with cars as before
The only thing is that there are tons of Chinese at my hotel, and on the streets - the hotel is 95% full (it was also my guess) but the staff said that they are stuck here coz' they can't go home or to where they were planning to due to quarantine laws etc.

I have nicknamed the hotel b/fast dining room as the GREAT PRC dining hall
Sorry, this is OT, but I am a bit surprised that there are still so many Chinese tourists in Bangkok. Do you think your hotel is representative of the general situation in the city? I have an upcoming trip to Bangkok and one of the reasons I haven't cancelled yet is because I was looking forward to visiting a quiet city.
fallinasleep is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 4:51 am
  #176  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Posts: 256
Had so much fun with all of this so far... haha

1st. Scoot move my HK>Singapore flight to 19:15pm - I think "okay that's not bad, just a few extra hours in the airport..."
2nd. BA cancel my London>HK flight and bump me to the later one, meaning I can't make the Scoot flight without a very tight connection...
3rd. I book the last Cathay flight at 20:00 so I can get to Singapore the same day, (Scoot don't allow transferring in Hong Kong and it's already tight, I'd have to go landside and go through security).
4th. Cathay flight cancelled and moved to 4pm... so can't make it that, BA flight gets in too late... so cancel and revert to running through the airport for original Scoot flight
5th. Scoot now have cancelled my flight completely.

Only option I have now is arrive at 16:55 on BA flight, spend the night at Novotel, and then try for the 9AM Cathay flight to Singapore... (if that doesn't get cancelled too...)
Lewis King is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 5:28 am
  #177  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 18,020
Originally Posted by fallinasleep View Post
Sorry, this is OT, but I am a bit surprised that there are still so many Chinese tourists in Bangkok. Do you think your hotel is representative of the general situation in the city? I have an upcoming trip to Bangkok and one of the reasons I haven't cancelled yet is because I was looking forward to visiting a quiet city.
Daily Mail Australia reported WeChat post going around by Chinese students studying in Australia that if they can get to Thailand, they can apply for VOA and isolate themselves there for 14 days https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-lockdown.html

The Thai entry and exit stamps will be sufficient evidence for Australian Border Force to admit them
fallinasleep likes this.
percysmith is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 5:34 am
  #178  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 18,020
Originally Posted by Lewis King View Post
Had so much fun with all of this so far... haha

1st. Scoot move my HK>Singapore flight to 19:15pm - I think "okay that's not bad, just a few extra hours in the airport..."
2nd. BA cancel my London>HK flight and bump me to the later one, meaning I can't make the Scoot flight without a very tight connection...
3rd. I book the last Cathay flight at 20:00 so I can get to Singapore the same day, (Scoot don't allow transferring in Hong Kong and it's already tight, I'd have to go landside and go through security).
4th. Cathay flight cancelled and moved to 4pm... so can't make it that, BA flight gets in too late... so cancel and revert to running through the airport for original Scoot flight
5th. Scoot now have cancelled my flight completely.

Only option I have now is arrive at 16:55 on BA flight, spend the night at Novotel, and then try for the 9AM Cathay flight to Singapore... (if that doesn't get cancelled too...)
May be a false economy (small 'e'). If you'd book LHR-HKG-SIN as one PNR you'd be up for EUR600.
percysmith is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 5:37 am
  #179  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by ph-ndr View Post
I had the experience of cancellation after being checked in. I have no idea how common it is, but with all things going on now I wouldn't be surprised if others get the same experience as things seem to change rapidly.

-A
Same here. Cancellation many hours after I had checked in online.
bchang is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 6:22 am
  #180  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
May be a false economy (small 'e'). If you'd book LHR-HKG-SIN as one PNR you'd be up for EUR600.
Yeah usually I would, but the HK flight is the return of a HK-LHR I booked with Avios when it was half price. I was originally going to stay in Hong Kong a few days but decided against it, and moved to going straight to Singapore. Looks like I can't now anyway! Waiting on a refund of Avios, and then might cancel it all and just book LHR-SIN and suck up the
Lewis King is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread