Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by shmuey
Cant say I've had a good experience so far this AM. Spent 1.5hrs on hold with CX to finally get connected (even though for some reason the audio feed kept dropping) to get told my HKG to DPS flight is still booked but they will do nothing to get me to HKG, even tho the IAD flight is canceled. I mentioned the email I received saying I would be rebooked on a domestic partner flight to another CX flight (assuming JFK) within 36hrs...the CSR said this was a stock email and didn't apply to me, and I was told to call AA since it was a redemption through them, but AA intially told me that CX has to manage the booking.

And now I'm back on hold with AA. Really hoping my honeymoon doesn't get canceled :-(
If this is an AAdvantage ticket you have to talk to AA unless the cancellation happened on the day of travel or at least within 48 hours of dep.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: CSP
I booked SFO-HKG (CX873) HKG-BKK (CX619) on J using Alaska miles for March 16 - if CX873's next to get canceled, anyone know whether it's possible to rebook?

Would I have to go through Alaska or Cathay to get my miles refunded, and would cancellation fee be waived due to the airline cancelling the flight?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat
For flights that are still running (HKG > JFK) is a regular menu being served in J?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by aznac84
I booked SFO-HKG (CX873) HKG-BKK (CX619) on J using Alaska miles for March 16 - if CX873's next to get canceled, anyone know whether it's possible to rebook?

Would I have to go through Alaska or Cathay to get my miles refunded, and would cancellation fee be waived due to the airline cancelling the flight?
Alaska Miles booking, Alaska Miles forum question.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I am booked through Asia Miles and I have been rebooked on CX and Delta from HKG to LAX to DCA on 3/24. This occurred about 24 hours after I got the email notification you reference but I got no email on rerouting I think because it still isn't ticketed. Maybe they are treating tickets from other carriers differently? My advice is if you want this honeymoon to go on is to look at alternatives NOW, particularly if you have points so you can cancel easily if CX/AA comes through. I waited too long and my good alternative disappeared and there is no way I am going to take the 40 hour CX rerouting. So I am now cancelling my trip. Not looking forwarding to calling in and dealing with that.
Originally Posted by shmuey
Cant say I've had a good experience so far this AM. Spent 1.5hrs on hold with CX to finally get connected (even though for some reason the audio feed kept dropping) to get told my HKG to DPS flight is still booked but they will do nothing to get me to HKG, even tho the IAD flight is canceled. I mentioned the email I received saying I would be rebooked on a domestic partner flight to another CX flight (assuming JFK) within 36hrs...the CSR said this was a stock email and didn't apply to me, and I was told to call AA since it was a redemption through them, but AA intially told me that CX has to manage the booking.

And now I'm back on hold with AA. Really hoping my honeymoon doesn't get canceled :-(
As noted, AA, booking, AA phone call (not CX). CX doesn't own the ticket. And the situation is a moving target. One cancellation today and one rebooking today doesn't mean the same wont happen tomorrow.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If this is an AAdvantage ticket you have to talk to AA unless the cancellation happened on the day of travel or at least within 48 hours of dep.
Your mileage may vary, but the operating airline(s) don't own the travels until check in is complete. On multiple occasions I have arrived at the airport to check in only to be told by the operating airline to call the booking airline. The booking airline needed to reissue the ticket due to changes, as an example.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Your mileage may vary, but the operating airline(s) don't own the travels until check in is complete. On multiple occasions I have arrived at the airport to check in only to be told by the operating airline to call the booking airline. The booking airline needed to reissue the ticket due to changes, as an example.
I believe IATA rule is that if the cancellation happened on the day or the day before, operating airline is responsible. Of course, everyone tries to get rid of responsibility these days.
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by kaffir76
According to the CX Flight timetable - CX861 IAD - HKG will be operating on 11/13/14 March
The timetable seems to be updated as there are no flights to/from EWR at all.
You'll just have to wait till CX gets to your booking if there are any changes/canx.
My booking was revised 4 days after the emails went out last Fri.

Where exactly would you like to be re-directed to?

CX888 will be cancelled as well right ?
As it stands, (most of?) the JFK flights are still operating - I'm no expert on CX schedules but it seems like the plan is to re-book all pax onto the JFK route
CX 888
CX 830
CX 840
CX 846
[/QUOTE]

CX has been cancelling 888 and 865 - both my in and outbound have been cancelled (HKG-YVR-HKG). The online rebooking portal has been timing out for the last 2hrs and its impossible to get anyone on the phone. What a bloody mess.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: United 2 million, American 1 Million, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
In reply to Pedanticus, I cancelled 2 round trip business tickets SFO-HKG purchased through AMEX travel over 2 weeks ago. No refund back to my credit card despite the 7 day guideline.

After following up , AMEX travel said it was a nightmare trying to reach Cathay. The AMEX system simply showed "awaiting refund from CX"

On another forum, someone was told Cathay were "working with their bank" and refunds could take 6 weeks or longer.

I have not seen any posting anywhere where someone has actually got a refund yet.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:49 am

I am expecting that it will be a couple of months and some effort to get refunds from CX that is the just the way it is going to be. I started the process of cancelling my trip to Asia next month and I have created a spreadsheet to track everything. I'll have a log of every communication I make, etc. This will one make sure I cover and cancel everything and two will give me the data I need to show I worked with vendors in the event I eventually need to do a charge back (I would only do this where the vendor isn't complaint with their terms so for any non-refundable stuff I'll just claim on travel insurance) and for my eventual "any reason cancellation" travel insurance claim. I would also capture any advisories or other things that are relevant and anything else that might be ephemeral but useful in a couple of months.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up Latest update / data point (CX 890)

Originally Posted by MKBshaw
CX has been cancelling 888 and 865 - both my in and outbound have been cancelled (HKG-YVR-HKG).
The online rebooking portal has been timing out for the last 2hrs and its impossible to get anyone on the phone. What a bloody mess.
Yes, that post was from 4-5 days ago ..
The timetable on the CX website has since been updated & CX 888 is indeed canx.
To be fair to CX, they have canx. more than 1/2 of their routes & flights so there must be a lot of manual adjustments to be done for flight schedules, bookings & re-bookings etc.
TBH - I was surprised that BOS was not suspended but instead, it was IAD & EWR (YVR was a planned cut all along, just happened sooner due to COVID)

Anyway on my side, I have re-booked onto SQ direct to EWR - CX dropping me off @ JFK just doesn't make sense when I need to be at the Newark airport area
Added on to the fact that the Pier F lounge will be closed, I would have to force an overnight layover at HKG airport or take the most terrible red eye flight to HKG dep. at 1am & getting into JFK late at night (10pm) - it just didn't make sense to carry on with the CX itinerary

So I called CX & waited for about 20 min. before the call was answered.
Basically, there are no other options for pax on the EWR flight - everyone is being routed to JFK
The agent did offer to allow me to change my travel dates to later in the year but I wasn't sure how long this suspension of US routes would last ...
So I'll get a full refund instead with no penalty fees.
Just need to call in again to confirm the cancellation before my travel date - or perhaps I should just do it online @ CX MMB ..

My lucky stars were shining yesterday as I managed to redeem a Saver award on SQ to EWR on my original travel date
It was the 1st time I've seen Saver awards available for this flight & on several dates this & next month - with some flights showing up to 2 seats available (e.g. 2/26)!
It took about 24 hours for the additional miles to come thru' but the availability held out for that long & I just booked earlier this evening / last night (SGP time)
I got worried there for a few hours as I was hoping no one else would redeem that single seat on the date I wanted to travel (27 FEB)

All the best of luck to everyone who's been affected - it is indeed a terrible mess & it must be hard times for the airline & staff as well right now

p/s I fixed your quotes
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:45 pm

Called in to cancel my 40 hour return. Made a mistake (should have known better) and called CX. Got in the queue immediately and it was as others have suggested about an hour to get through (about 1:05 in my case). They told me I needed to call AM which I got through to immediately after about 5 minutes with the voice response system and adverts. On the phone with them now while they try to cancel just my return leg. The lady seems pretty new to this so wish me luck. I am hoping they do lose my existing QR outbound when they re-ticket.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Feb 15, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:17 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Get an emailed itinerary when the new lady is done.

P.S. Actually, why not not do the changes until QR sectors flown?!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Get an emailed itinerary when the new lady is done.

P.S. Actually, why not not do the changes until QR sectors flown?!
On the PS I was going to do that in fact you suggested it to me a few days back BUT when they rebooked me on Delta from LAX to DCA (I didn't ask for that that was their reroute for me) the whole itinerary went into that it needed to be ticketed and has been sitting that way since early Wednesday morning east coast US time and never changed so I figured I might as well do it now. She said I would get an emailed itinerary but I haven't but it does show up correctly (albeit with the warning about it needing to be ticketed) on the CX website. Interestingly my itinerary disappeared from the AM website when they rebooked me via LAX and Delta but since I dropped all that it is back on the AM website. Since I am getting AM refunded I'll soon be a data point on whether the refund points maintain their old expiration date or not under the new expiration policy.
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
You better screen cap the itinerary in MMB.
36902BRF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.