Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can you guest one pax into the QF and another into a CX lounge at HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

At LHR Terminal 3, a OWE could theoretically bring four guests, one into each OW lounge, so long as they are shameless enough and are able to exit each lounge without being challenged about leaving their guest behind. The lounge systems don't communicate with each other in real time, and no stamps are made on the BP. I've only even done this once when I flew with two colleagues and brought one into QF and one into CX. Would it be possible to get away with the same at HKG (I appreciate that CX is not going to let you bring one guest into more than one of their lounges)?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Yes, I tried that last month.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:59 am

It's unethical.
mctaste likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Pass me the sick bag.

why are we even answering these questions
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
It's unethical.
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Pass me the sick bag.

why are we even answering these questions
Thank you for your input. Feel free to ignore threads that you don't care for.
SW7London, Sozee and lowfareair like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:12 pm

I do feel free to comment or not as I choose, thanks.
Just because I don't care for the behaviour doesn't mean I don't care for the thread discussing the behaviour.
Gig103, Nicc HK and JordanWalker like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
It's unethical.
Actually it is not only unethical, it is also against the T&Cs of the program.

In theory, when you have +1 for lounge access, the +1 must leave with you at the same time you leave. However, this is not always enforced by the lounge staffs. Hence, a loophole.

However, the airline will eventually know the problem, as the lounges report usage for payment. Airlines can see who has been sponsored.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I know T5 already controls double dipping.

Let's discuss it more. By raising awareness we're alerting CX they've a loophole here to close.
Nicc HK and JordanWalker like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
I know T5 already controls double dipping.
But all T5 lounges are BA, so that's why it can be easily detected, right? I imagine if one were to do that between the various CX HKG lounges, one would get caught, too?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
But all T5 lounges are BA, so that's why it can be easily detected, right? I imagine if one were to do that between the various CX HKG lounges, one would get caught, too?
They can still detect contract-non contract use (PVG, KUL). I think CX has a record of non-contract (oneworld) lounge use.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:05 am

They can still detect contract-non contract use (PVG, KUL). I think CX has a record of non-contract (oneworld) lounge use.
If you travel on CX and go to the QF lounge, CX pays so CX knows you've been there, but is the system immediate or does it take sometime to reach CX?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If you travel on CX and go to the QF lounge, CX pays so CX knows you've been there, but is the system immediate or does it take sometime to reach CX?
I’m guessing here, but it’s immediate for contract, so not that much of a stretch of an imagination to implement for oneworld partner.

oneworld partner will have to verify you’re a valid pax for charging anyway.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I’m quite certain that the QF lounge is not sending entry details to the CX lounge in HK in real time. But yes the HK CX lounge entries are linked within themselves.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:46 am

I’m guessing here, but it’s immediate for contract, so not that much of a stretch of an imagination to implement for oneworld partner.

oneworld partner will have to verify you’re a valid pax for charging anyway.
Once they started doing it, certain airlines might impose a "one lounge per airport only" rule. I think some people over *A reported similar things in selected airports, but I don't know the details.

For example, I am taking CX from HKG but I go to the QF lounge first. I then try to go to a CX lounge. CX could impose a rule that says if you've been to the QF lounge you cannot use the CX lounge anymore, since CX needs to pay QF. This will make CX pax less likely to go to QF lounge, and QF will make less revenue, so QF will not agree to it. I think this may be why it hasn't been implemented?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a loophole, it is simplty poor training or enforcement by staff. When one leaves lounge #1 , one's guest ought to leave as well and so long as staff enforce that, what OP proposes won't work in a meaningful way.

To the extent that CX and other carriers see the fraud as material, they may certainly institute a cross-check and take action if they wish. That, of course, has costs and CX may not view the costs as worth it. This is not simply about having the data available, rather it is also about doing something with it. It need also not be instant as CX could simply revoke the status of offenders (presuming that most have some status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.