Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Old Feb 12, 20, 6:57 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP), MPC Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by 36902BRF View Post
Just got the same thing. Keep in mind there is still a lot of opportunity for sub-optimal routings/timings and lower class of service (if not already in Econ) but at least with know the parameters of their proposed solution. I did some digging last night and I found some routings that work for me on OW now so if I don't like CX's solution for my return I'll have them drop it, I'll move over to BA and use up more of my remaining AM stash (I have enough points with AM I don't have to wait for a redeposit). Still a long way to get to IAD but at least I can do it (on points) in First (I would like to burn down my AM points balance ASAP). I never thought I'd see the day where I say this, but I think at this point I have more faith in BA than CX given the current situation.
I'm going to see if they can transfer me over to DCA or shift my departure date to 13 March. I'm assuming AA doesn't have their evening service on IAD-LAX on the 14th so the only option that day is the morning service with a 12 hour layover at LAX. They have a PM departure on DCA-LAX though with a very short layover in LAX before proceeding to HKG. On the 13th they have an AS flight ex IAD to SFO in the evening that CX is showing availability on, so that would work too.

I'll see what type of changes they make and if they don't work, I'll ring them. I don't know how flexible they will be.
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:05 am

Yeah DCA would allow a lot more flexibility with AA. DCA would be good for me as well if they allow that.
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CLT View Post
I'm going to see if they can transfer me over to DCA or shift my departure date to 13 March. I'm assuming AA doesn't have their evening service on IAD-LAX on the 14th so the only option that day is the morning service with a 12 hour layover at LAX. They have a PM departure on DCA-LAX though with a very short layover in LAX before proceeding to HKG. On the 13th they have an AS flight ex IAD to SFO in the evening that CX is showing availability on, so that would work too.

I'll see what type of changes they make and if they don't work, I'll ring them. I don't know how flexible they will be.
Why don't you want to fly from a CX gateway that is closer to WAS?
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:17 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP), MPC Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Why don't you want to fly from a CX gateway that is closer to WAS?
I would be open to...but Im basing everything on current availability on the CX website. AA only flies DCA-JFK once or twice a day and there are no itineraries available on my day of travel through JFK/ORD/BOS. Everything is displaying LAX or SFO.
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: most of them
Great list of CX route changes through 3/28: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-11feb20/ .

For us IAD folks it looks like 2/14/20 is the end date for service through 3/28.

Not an expert but I'd call those cuts "deep" and across the board.
I got an email overnight alerting me that my IAD flight for 3/23 has been canceled since the route is suspended. I already had made changes to this itinerary once when they took away one of the rotations a couple of months ago. At this point I expect to just get a refund and book with another airline since whatever rebooking option they come up with will add another connection and probably a crappy AA transcon.
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
I got an email overnight alerting me that my IAD flight for 3/23 has been canceled since the route is suspended. I already had made changes to this itinerary once when they took away one of the rotations a couple of months ago. At this point I expect to just get a refund and book with another airline since whatever rebooking option they come up with will add another connection and probably a crappy AA transcon.
Funny I am or rather was on the inbound IAD flight on 3/23. My outbound was also messed up when they did the schedule cutbacks last year adding two days to my vacation (that weren't really useful to me). I am hoping (somewhat against hope) to get a decent routing but I don't have high hopes. Still on the fence whether to reroute via another airline or just call the whole trip off and do something else later in the year.
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by CLT View Post
I would be open to...but Im basing everything on current availability on the CX website. AA only flies DCA-JFK once or twice a day and there are no itineraries available on my day of travel through JFK/ORD/BOS. Everything is displaying LAX or SFO.
I am seeing the same thing but it is possible CX has zeroed out space on the east coast flights to accommodate folks like us so they don't show up as bookable right now. That is my hope at least.
moondog likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:57 am

Programs: most of them
Funny I am or rather was on the inbound IAD flight on 3/23. My outbound was also messed up when they did the schedule cutbacks last year adding two days to my vacation (that weren't really useful to me). I am hoping (somewhat against hope) to get a decent routing but I don't have high hopes. Still on the fence whether to reroute via another airline or just call the whole trip off and do something else later in the year.
in my case I am returning from CMB. So I guess we were supposed to be on the same flight. I am looking at flying back via Doha. Sri Lankan has one ways around $2000 which is only about $200 more than I paid for the CX option. It's a long overnight layover at DOH (11+ hours), but I get the QR suite.
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:37 am

Yep I am coming back from BKK. My outbound is actually now on QR via DOH. I am booked on Asia Miles (CX points) and they rebooked me on QR but I had to pay the difference in points and surcharges but I was ok with that to try out Qsuites since I have never flown them. I cannot find anything on QR on points (and prefer to burn AM points for obvious reasons at this point) but I have found some ok routings on BA. Which is still a long way to get to IAD but at least I can avoid a AA transcon if that is CX's solution.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Feb 12, 20 at 12:27 pm
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
CX zero out flight for possible protection and cancellation, I think there would be space from East coast to HK easily.
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
I also got notice this morning that my CX861 flight on 3/14 was canceled and would hear back in 24-36hrs. Hopefully they don't dump us in JFK at 10am for a HKG flight leaving at 1am the next morning.
Old Feb 12, 20, 3:08 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Hong Kong Taipei Taoyuan eff 13FEB20 Reduce from 117 to 14 weekly

Wow, that is almost 90% reduction in CX capacity to/from TPE.

I guess good news for BR and CI.
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
why good news for BR? BR also reduce from 9 daily to 2 daily.
CI reduced to 2 daily, too.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:48 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
just to confirm that there is no travel restriction for those going back to US after visiting HKG right?
Old Feb 12, 20, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
just to confirm that there is no travel restriction for those going back to US after visiting HKG right?
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:00 pm

Programs: QF
How likely is it the travel waivers will be extended out further?

Search this Thread