Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by interactfx
What's the environment like in Cathay Pacific's lounges post Coronavirus? Is everyone wearing masks? Has it impacted catering or service?
HKG lounges are normal catering- and service-wise, obviously much quieter than usual. I don’t actually recall if all staff were wearing masks or not. Probably. I’ll have a closer look next visit. Most customers weren’t.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:56 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
Any updates yet? I’m flying next week, got told of cancellation 3 days ago and am still being shown my original cancelled flight as ‘confirmed’ in manage my booking...
AFAIK, they haven't reached out to any IAD pax yet. There are four of us traveling on 14 March (all on separate reservations) and another 5 on 13 March (again, separate reservations) on IAD-HKG and none of us have been contacted yet, which baffles me seeing as they are reaching out to folks affected in LAX/YYZ/NYC/TLV on flights in late March. Everything is showing confirmed, in fact someone received an email over the weekend advertising that extra legroom seat assignments were still available for purchase on the flight.

I am growing a bit impatient because my reservation has an open jaw ticket attached to it and I need to see that the open-jaw portion is preserved...or else I will have to make accommodations on another carrier.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by CLT
AFAIK, they haven't reached out to any IAD pax yet. There are four of us traveling on 14 March (all on separate reservations) and another 5 on 13 March (again, separate reservations) on IAD-HKG and none of us have been contacted yet, which baffles me seeing as they are reaching out to folks affected in LAX/YYZ/NYC/TLV on flights in late March. Everything is showing confirmed, in fact someone received an email over the weekend advertising that extra legroom seat assignments were still available for purchase on the flight.

I am growing a bit impatient because my reservation has an open jaw ticket attached to it and I need to see that the open-jaw portion is preserved...or else I will have to make accommodations on another carrier.
I am guessing we are the bottom of the list because the solution is going to be complex since the only way to route us is to include another carrier. They cannot just put us on another CX flight departing from our city on a different date or from another airport in our city. And I agree with you on my growing impatience.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Speculating, but the DSP-HKG-SEA flight March 17 is zeroed out in economy but not in business class and is not longer available for sale on the CX site. CX would appear to be addressing issues in order of priority. The itinerary is an AA award booking. Not worried about a few more days in Bali but the return should be interesting as AA will need to find space for me on the domestic portion.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Feb 9, 2020 at 5:47 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CLT

I don’t really understand their order of dealing with this. I received an email Friday saying I would be rebooked within 24 hours for my EWR-HKG flight on 3/20. However, nothing has happened. Yesterday though, I got an email that I was rebooked for my 3/21 HKG-ADL flight. Since I have a vacation booked, the flight a day later to ADL doesn’t work for me, so I got them to change it to MEL. So right now, I’m waiting for them to call me to get my credit card for the award rebooking. With my knowing full well that it will get rebooked again when they get around to dealing with the EWR-HKG segment, which they won’t deal with now since it’s not officially cancelled...
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by witthuus
This is becoming a nightmare. AS refuses to rebook me on a different airline but is also not able to get me on a CX flight as they are not operating any longer. If I get rebooked I would need to buy AS miles to get on EK - I don't see the point - I have a confirmed reservation and if there is a schedule change for whatever reason, somebody needs to rebook.
Am I wrong ??

rebook or refund. not have to rebook.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by walkup
I think you have a problem. The problem is being refused entry to the Philippines coming from Hong Kong. Check current travel advice, but you may need to cancel the stopover if still wishing to proceed.
I tried to reroute but on such short notice and with tons of carriers canceling flights to that part of the world we just had to cancel it altogether. Like you said we would have been denied entry into the Philippines and we could not avoid HKG with CX. I called AA and that refunded all my miles and taxes paid.We will certainly tried to make it to MNL next year in order to get to Amanpulo. Pulo only gave us a year to use all the monies (and it was not transferable to other Aman's) that we had to pay up front for a Villa there. Maybe my CSR can get me a refund? Don't get me wrong we still really really want to go to Pulo just not sure about the timing.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by interactfx
What's the environment like in Cathay Pacific's lounges post Coronavirus? Is everyone wearing masks? Has it impacted catering or service?
No newspapers or magazines in the Wing, First Class

ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I am guessing we are the bottom of the list because the solution is going to be complex since the only way to route us is to include another carrier. They cannot just put us on another CX flight departing from our city on a different date or from another airport in our city. And I agree with you on my growing impatience.
By that logic I’d be at the top of the list - flying to LGW and there are flights to LHR available (albeit looking fully booked), with BA flights wide open on the same evening...

4 days after notification now and no sign of a rebook, 10 days until flight.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flying SFO-HKG (then onward to BKK) on CX893 on Feb. 13, CX has within the last several hours zeroed J but W and Y are wide open. I'm assuming this is not a good sign.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Flying SFO-HKG (then onward to BKK) on CX893 on Feb. 13, CX has within the last several hours zeroed J but W and Y are wide open. I'm assuming this is not a good sign.
I don’t see why that would be a bad sign. You can still book that flight online; there’s just a good chance other canceled flights moved their J customers to that flight, filling it up. They are doing a lot of compressing.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
By that logic I’d be at the top of the list - flying to LGW and there are flights to LHR available (albeit looking fully booked), with BA flights wide open on the same evening...

4 days after notification now and no sign of a rebook, 10 days until flight.
I think that CX is still uncertain as to which flights it cancels to Europe. Clearly they have already planed lots of cancellations. But ten days is like long term for them.
i am currently in VN and want to send my family back to Europe. The uncertainty on which days they will cancel flights (not UK) plus they charge 6,000USD on a return J fare (planes have like 10 J seats assigned). Well Over twice what I will pay on other one-stop like QR. CX might not care but they lose money from a loyal supporter.
ShuttleRunner, i would not worry much. They will get you to London when you wish.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Rukes
I don’t see why that would be a bad sign. You can still book that flight online; there’s just a good chance other canceled flights moved their J customers to that flight, filling it up. They are doing a lot of compressing.
I feel like the key issue at CX is that they are trying to figure out how many planes they can fill (or get close to full) and run them, which may lead to some erratic-ish operating schedules. I get why they're doing this (they're having to park a lot of equipment and likely having to hand outsomewhere in the tens of millions of dollars in refunds and there may be cases where a semi-empty flight would lose less money than parking the plane), but it's fundamentally leaving their thumb up their arse (and if this is going on with any European airports, I suspect that they are flirting with EU261 compensation...boy is that going to be some fun litigation, but I suspect they might get nailed on dithering ["You knew you were cutting the flight at three weeks out but didn't tell them until two days out"] outweighing the "extraordinary circumstances" [since HKG hasn't actually been closed, the decision is arguably just a business one, not a health and safety one, outside of any European airports with aggressive rules...I don't recall "low load factor" being an exceptional circumstance]).
36902BRF likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:14 am

Not sure if related to Virus (Probably indirectly at the very least).

But my flights from New York to Vancouver return just got canceled in March. Unless they canceling the route or I just got unlucky in terms of timing since the flight didn't look that booked.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Speculating, but the DSP-HKG-SEA flight March 17 is zeroed out in economy but not in business class and is not longer available for sale on the CX site. CX would appear to be addressing issues in order of priority. The itinerary is an AA award booking. Not worried about a few more days in Bali but the return should be interesting as AA will need to find space for me on the domestic portion.
Off again, on again. DSP-HKG-SEA flight March 17 is no longer zeroed out and is now available for sale on the CX website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.