Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

41000 Miles to use wisely from Zurich.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:43 am
Original Poster

So, I now have 41,600 miles, as does my partner.
I've never redeemed miles before so need some advice.
Later this year we'd like to fly again with That to Penang, returning from Tokyo, always via HK of course.
Zurich - Hong Kong requires 41000 AM to upgrade from Economy and 50000 to upgrade Zurich-HK Return from Premium Economy.

Does this mean I can both either
a) Economy for 800USD and then redeem one of the ZRH-HK legs to use the 41K or
b) Premium Economy for 1550USD and redeem both legs but have to pay for the missing 8,400 miles?

Is that correct or do I have this all wrong?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:07 am

Hello Denis!

Welcome to the world of miles and points.

Generally for Asia Miles (and many other frequent flyer prorgammes, or in short, FFP) require a higher fare class for upgrading cabin class with miles.
May I know your itinerary?

Cheers!

Last edited by fromhell; Jan 14, 2020 at 6:38 am
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromhell
Hello Denis!

Welcome to the world of miles and points.

Generally for Asia Miles (and many other frequent flyer prorgammes, or in short, FFP) require a higher fare class for upgrading cabin class with miles.
May I know your itinerary?

Cheers!
Thanks a lot!
I understand what you mean now, with Cathay Economy, you need to book Economy Core or higher to upgrade and with Premium Economy it has to be Flex or higher

My itinerary would be Zurich -> Penang 03.09.2020, Tokyo -> Zurich 04.10.2020 (approx dates)

By my reckoning I could pay (Economy) CHF901 and use my 41000 AM for one way Business Class upgrade
Premium Economy would cost CHF2164 plus 8000AM cost for return Business Class upgrade, is that correct?

Cheers
Denis
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Depending on your cash situation might want to save them for a better deal and just buy a r/t on QR. Look for sales or discounts offered. Their present normal price is CHF 2639-2642 r/t biz.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m

Sale Fares Pricing ONLY
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz
Depending on your cash situation might want to save them for a better deal and just buy a r/t on QR. Look for sales or discounts offered. Their present normal price is CHF 2639-2642 r/t biz.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m

Sale Fares Pricing ONLY
Thanks a lot, would maybe make more sense than the 2nd option.
What would be a better deal that could come up with Cathay for the Air Miles?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
IMO good use is CX first class when you have enough miles or can transfer sufficient amounts from credit cards. But I fly biz and 1st only. This is a personal choice.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by zebranz
IMO good use is CX first class when you have enough miles or can transfer sufficient amounts from credit cards. But I fly biz and 1st only. This is a personal choice.
Correct. Upgraded my HKG-FRA flight to FCL for just 50K miles.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
Thanks a lot!
I understand what you mean now, with Cathay Economy, you need to book Economy Core or higher to upgrade and with Premium Economy it has to be Flex or higher

My itinerary would be Zurich -> Penang 03.09.2020, Tokyo -> Zurich 04.10.2020 (approx dates)

By my reckoning I could pay (Economy) CHF901 and use my 41000 AM for one way Business Class upgrade
Premium Economy would cost CHF2164 plus 8000AM cost for return Business Class upgrade, is that correct?

Cheers
Denis
No unfortunately you cannot upgrade from Economy to Business on flights equipped with Premium Economy cabins.
For Economy to Premium Economy:
ZRH-HKG: 22,000 miles (no PEY on PEN)
TYO-HKG-ZRH: 30,000 miles (the routing exceeds 7,500 miles)
For Premium Economy to Business:
ZRH-HKG-PEN: 25,000 miles
TYO-HKG-ZRH: 35,000 miles

As many posters have mentioned, QR would be a much better deal

Thanks a lot, would maybe make more sense than the 2nd option.
What would be a better deal that could come up with Cathay for the Air Miles?
You might also want to check the current sale from Lufthansa/Swiss right now ex-Europe, extremely attractive pricing to HKG and various Asian cities.
LX/LH: First class fares from Sweden
Sometimes you have to search 2+ persons to obtain the sales pricing. Even First Class fare is not unreasonable.
IMO you can use 41,000 miles for your intra-Europe/intra-Asia segments.
If you want to build up your Asia Miles balance for other fancy trips in the future, segments marketed AND operated by LH/LX can be credited to Asia Miles.

Another "sweet spot" in Asia Miles is their competitive pricing for flights in Medium Haul (2,751-5,000 miles).
45,000 miles one-way business class on CX/KA own metal and likely 5,000 miles surcharge for partners.
If you fly from ZRH on LX with some frequency, it covers pretty much the east coast of US / Middle-East and even parts of India.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by fromhell; Jan 15, 2020 at 11:51 pm
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:12 am
Original Poster

No unfortunately you cannot upgrade from Economy to Business on flights equipped with Premium Economy cabins.
For Economy to Premium Economy:
ZRH-HKG: 22,000 miles (no PEY on PEN)
TYO-HKG-ZRH: 30,000 miles (the routing exceeds 7,500 miles)
For Premium Economy to Business:
ZRH-HKG-PEN: 25,000 miles
TYO-HKG-ZRH: 35,000 miles

As many posters have mentioned, QR would be a much better deal

You might also want to check the current sale from Lufthansa/Swiss right now ex-Europe, extremely attractive pricing to HKG and various Asian cities.
LX/LH: First class fares from Sweden
Sometimes you have to search 2+ persons to obtain the sales pricing. Even First Class fare is not unreasonable.
IMO you can use 41,000 miles for your intra-Europe/intra-Asia segments.
If you want to build up your Asia Miles balance for other fancy trips in the future, segments marketed AND operated by LH/LX can be credited to Asia Miles.

Another "sweet spot" in Asia Miles is their competitive pricing for flights in Medium Haul (2,751-5,000 miles).
45,000 miles one-way business class on CX/KA own metal and likely 5,000 miles surcharge for partners.
If you fly from ZRH on LX with some frequency, it covers pretty much the east coast of US / Middle-East and even parts of India.

Hope it helps!
That's very helpful, thanks!
So, Business Class upgrade is pointless from PE as you can get it for the same or less with Qatar anyway.
OK, I could upgrade E-> PE or just save them for something better, once I get to 65K-70K I have a lot more flexibility, correct?

Swiss aren't included here : https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ub-points.html
How does the crediting work?

Last edited by Denis Carlin; Jan 16, 2020 at 1:15 am Reason: Missing info
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:59 am

That's very helpful, thanks!
So, Business Class upgrade is pointless from PE as you can get it for the same or less with Qatar anyway.
OK, I could upgrade E-> PE or just save them for something better, once I get to 65K-70K I have a lot more flexibility, correct?

Swiss aren't included here : https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ub-points.html
How does the crediting work?
LH/LX are not elite-qualifying but are Asia Miles earning and redeeming partners. See below:

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...r-lines#redeem
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:39 am
Original Poster

LH/LX are not elite-qualifying but are Asia Miles earning and redeeming partners. See below:

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...r-lines#redeem
Great, you're a fantastic help.
How can I compare who I'll get more miles with between Swiss and say, Japan Airlines?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:36 am

Great, you're a fantastic help.
How can I compare who I'll get more miles with between Swiss and say, Japan Airlines?
There's a handy tool called www.wheretocredit.com
Of course always double-check with your marketing(OW)/operating carrier(*A) and your destination FFP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.