Hong Kong North satellite Security

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong North satellite Security

The facts...

Landing Hong Kong Airport
Arriving from Cathay Dragon flight.
Connecting to Cathay Pacific flight to YVR.

They bus you from midfield to the main terminal.

As I head to the bus, I see midfield security. There is typically no line. Sometimes main terminal security can have long lines.

Question - can you clear security midfield and then go to the main terminal?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by Global321
The facts...

Landing Hong Kong Airport
Arriving from Cathay Dragon flight.
Connecting to Cathay Pacific flight to YVR.

They bus you from midfield to the main terminal.

As I head to the bus, I see midfield security. There is typically no line. Sometimes main terminal security can have long lines.

Question - can you clear security midfield and then go to the main terminal?
I think it is not the "Mid-field" but the "North Satellite" that you are talking about. You can do security there but the bus back to the terminal is less frequent (I think once every 12 minute or so)
Global321 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I think it is not the "Mid-field" but the "North Satellite" that you are talking about. You can do security there but the bus back to the terminal is less frequent (I think once every 12 minute or so)
Thank you. I am sure you are right - I am confused about North vs Mid-field.

12-minute wait for the bus is fine. Security was 15-20 minutes last time, plus the wait for the bus to get full.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Half joking, half not, we also call the satellite concourse "Dragon Island" for good measure. Gates 500-515.

Midfield concourse is home to HX (and many others, but not KA among them), gates 200+.

Fwiw, the large construction you see on the ramp between the main terminal outside what used to be gate 21 and Dragon Island is a gigantic passenger bridge. Supposedly will be taller than the Gatwick one. So you won't have to take the bus anymore, at least one way. (I'm not sure on how the bridge will handle arrivals vs departures. I'm assuming / hoping it will accommodate two way traffic.) Scheduled for completion in 2020. Gate 21 got sacrificed but I'll say it's going to be worth it.
Global321 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Gate 500 to 510 no?

Yes, on can clear HK security there, bus back to main terminal and be airside to departure gates.

I would suggest with the less crowded bus and no line it indeed the best way to skin that cat.
Global321 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Half joking, half not, we also call the satellite concourse "Dragon Island" for good measure. Gates 500-515.

Midfield concourse is home to HX (and many others, but not KA among them), gates 200+.

Fwiw, the large construction you see on the ramp between the main terminal outside what used to be gate 21 and Dragon Island is a gigantic passenger bridge. Supposedly will be taller than the Gatwick one. So you won't have to take the bus anymore, at least one way. (I'm not sure on how the bridge will handle arrivals vs departures. I'm assuming / hoping it will accommodate two way traffic.) Scheduled for completion in 2020. Gate 21 got sacrificed but I'll say it's going to be worth it.
Gate 21 will stay and will be converted to a narrow-body gate. The bridge will be able to handle traffic both ways.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for great advice/knowledge.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
Good to hear we can use it both ways - I see the cost estimate reported as being HK$2 billion. For a short bridge.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
Good to hear we can use it both ways - I see the cost estimate reported as being HK$2 billion. For a short bridge.
Short but exceptionally tall and weirdly structured bridge. An A380 has to be able to drive underneath it.

Cost aside, it will definitely make the transit over to Dragon Island a lot more enjoyable and convenient. I think the "you have no choice but to take the bus" is one of the few bad marks on the airport, particularly for CX/KA passengers.

although the bridge is shamelessly to the benefit of KA pax and CX/KA transit pax....but readers on this forum shouldn't mind too much...
Cryofern likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You would go through security at the transfer section of the main terminal. In my all my times going through HKG, there have never been long lines; I have never seen more than ten transfer pax on different days and week. A lot of O/D traffic at least on routes I frequent.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You would go through security at the transfer section of the main terminal. In my all my times going through HKG, there have never been long lines; I have never seen more than ten transfer pax on different days and week. A lot of O/D traffic at least on routes I frequent.
If you have never seem more than ten transfer pax.... maybe you just got lucky.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Quick update... did security at the North Satellite last night. HOME RUN!

Security people seemed bored and happy to have a single customer. Through super quick. I got lucky and the bus was waiting and left a minute later. (Not sure if the pre-security transfer bus left before I did - they wait for it to get full.)

Less than 10 minutes from the split of security vs transfer bus, to airside at the main terminal.

I highly recommend this option for anyone doing a similar Dragon to INT. (And you can see if there is a line at the north satellite before deciding to commit to security there or the bus to main terminal security.)
Cryofern likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Quick update... did security at the North Satellite last night. HOME RUN!

Security people seemed bored and happy to have a single customer. Through super quick. I got lucky and the bus was waiting and left a minute later. (Not sure if the pre-security transfer bus left before I did - they wait for it to get full.)

Less than 10 minutes from the split of security vs transfer bus, to airside at the main terminal.

I highly recommend this option for anyone doing a similar Dragon to INT. (And you can see if there is a line at the north satellite before deciding to commit to security there or the bus to main terminal security.)
I am sorry however where about is this security?

Normally when we take the escalator down and there is the bus transferring the main terminal waiting, right opposite to the toilet. So the security would be before the toilet or before escalators?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I am sorry however where about is this security?

Normally when we take the escalator down and there is the bus transferring the main terminal waiting, right opposite to the toilet. So the security would be before the toilet or before escalators?
This is for international inbound flight. In my case Hanoi.

When you round the last corner, the bus to the main terminal security and customs is to the LEFT. To the RIGHT is security. It has been empty every time I have gotten on the bus. This time I turned right to go to security.

Very fast.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:54 am

This is for international inbound flight. In my case Hanoi.

Very fast.
..all flights arriving and departing HKG are "international"

everyone has to pass immigration and customs, including passengers to/from mainland China.

Not a single "domestic" flight at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.