FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Any sale/ cheap ex-eu J tickets ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1978299-any-sale-cheap-ex-eu-j-tickets.html)

AceCobra1 Jul 16, 2019 6:15 am

Any sale/ cheap ex-eu J tickets ?

Hi guys, looking to travel to HKG from GLA on the 11th Sept and returning 22nd. I checked emirates's website and they are doing an incredibly cheap deal @ £1900-ish return from GLA to HKG. I however, prefer to travel in CX especially the fact that I can earn some tier points for my BAEC. Any ideas if there are any cheaper/ comparable ex-eu CX tickets as per above ? I know the direct tickets leaving from LGW/ LHR are £3900 which isn't a price difference I would pay lol. I however don't mind paying upto say £2500. Is there a good website to check for this ? I tried various searches i.e. leavign from CDG/ BRU etc. but they all come in at about 3500 ++ euros

ajeleonard Jul 16, 2019 6:19 am

Belgrade - Hong Kong on Qatar £1,241 with more tier points than flying Cathay

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

AceCobra1 Jul 16, 2019 6:28 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 31308772)
Belgrade - Hong Kong on Qatar £1,241 with more tier points than flying Cathay

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Thanks for the reply - I am looking to specifically fly with CX as I like them lol

The _Banking_Scot Jul 16, 2019 6:39 am

Hi,

I found MAD-HKG on CX for GBP 2090 ( return is routing via FRA for that price) for those dates.

I will be trying Qatar this weekend ( to SIN) but direct from EDI and will be interesting to compare Qatar with Cathay.

Regards

TBS

deadinabsentia Jul 16, 2019 7:17 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1 (Post 31308798)
Thanks for the reply - I am looking to specifically fly with CX as I like them lol

Qatar beats CX in every sense of the word.
You need atleast one stop anyway, and get way more tier points with Qatar.

(And I’m CX Gold.. verging in Diamond by Christmas.. I fly Qatar any chance I have over CX)

AceCobra1 Jul 16, 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia (Post 31308944)

Qatar beats CX in every sense of the word.
You need atleast one stop anyway, and get way more tier points with Qatar.

(And I’m CX Gold.. verging in Diamond by Christmas.. I fly Qatar any chance I have over CX)

Thanks for the reply - I did consider Qatar but I will need to fly from EDI which is a bit of a hassle plus thier seats from EDI to DOHA and even to HKG are the old ones right ? I would consider it if it was on the Q suite. When you mean it beats CX in every sense, do you mean the seats as in Q Suite vs reverse herringbone ?

deadinabsentia Jul 16, 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1 (Post 31309064)
Thanks for the reply - I did consider Qatar but I will need to fly from EDI which is a bit of a hassle plus thier seats from EDI to DOHA and even to HKG are the old ones right ? I would consider it if it was on the Q suite. When you mean it beats CX in every sense, do you mean the seats as in Q Suite vs reverse herringbone ?

Wine, food, service, seat.
Old QR is better than CX for comfort.
I’ve had QSuite to HKG, but it’s still a lottery.
Fun as a couple, on my own.. didn’t matter much.

EDI DOH HKG is no less hassle than EDI LON/AMS/Belgrade.. what not .. and 1/2 the cost.
560 tier points..

Obviously you are leaning to Cathay, but you asked here and got a solid answer on how to fly both economically and comfortably, whilst maximizing Tier Points.

xtra1 Jul 16, 2019 10:36 am

Although I am with CX Marco Polo; why should I pay £3900 for a return Business Class seat (LHR-HKG-LHR).... When I just paid £2600 for a return BA First Class seat!

jagmeets Jul 16, 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia (Post 31309522)

Wine, food, service, seat.
Old QR is better than CX for comfort.
I’ve had QSuite to HKG, but it’s still a lottery.
Fun as a couple, on my own.. didn’t matter much.

EDI DOH HKG is no less hassle than EDI LON/AMS/Belgrade.. what not .. and 1/2 the cost.
560 tier points..

Obviously you are leaning to Cathay, but you asked here and got a solid answer on how to fly both economically and comfortably, whilst maximizing Tier Points.

Apologies for taking things offtopic- while I completely agree on the food and the wine (& the CP/TPS), I do think that the CX seats are better than QR’s (not been on the Q-Suite)- find the Super diamond to be too restrictive, knee below.
also, a personal thing, but being based in SIN for thre most part, a very long flight + a short hop works much better for me, rather than a medium+medium-long combination.

deadinabsentia Jul 16, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 31309726)

Apologies for taking things offtopic- while I completely agree on the food and the wine (& the CP/TPS), I do think that the CX seats are better than QR’s (not been on the Q-Suite)- find the Super diamond to be too restrictive, knee below.
also, a personal thing, but being based in SIN for thre most part, a very long flight + a short hop works much better for me, rather than a medium+medium-long combination.

I’m 5’8.. not a issue ;), I can see the CX working for tall folks.

Depending on time of day, Get the 6hr/ 7hr flight may be less than ideal. Personally I struggle on Perth HKG as well. After the meal service clanging, there’s only 4 hrs till breakfast.. shortish.

fotographer Jul 16, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1 (Post 31308798)

if you have never flown Qatar.. try them, it will make CX look like BA (sorry BA)

AceCobra1 Jul 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by xtra1 (Post 31309681)
Although I am with CX Marco Polo; why should I pay £3900 for a return Business Class seat (LHR-HKG-LHR).... When I just paid £2600 for a return BA First Class seat!

Really ? There is nothing here on the search :eek:

AceCobra1 Jul 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 31310033)
if you have never flown Qatar.. try them, it will make CX look like BA (sorry BA)

What are your thoughts on the 777 J seats ? It doesn't look like we get direct isle access which is the DOH to HKG route but the EDI to DHO on the A350 has nice seats. Just thinking if it is worth the travel from GLA to EDI

anniegray Jul 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Also got that price from ABZ for September in F

AceCobra1 Jul 16, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by anniegray (Post 31310204)
Also got that price from ABZ for September in F

I just checked and it is £3200 - what did you get quoted ?