FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Business class slippers and mattress from October 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1975171-business-class-slippers-mattress-october-2019-a.html)

winwin3388 Jun 22, 2019 11:14 pm

Business class slippers and mattress from October 2019

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...something-more

Just found this from the website. Hope that it is true!

Cambo Jun 23, 2019 1:49 am

Wow.

“Many passengers find Cathay’s current business class seats a little hard for their liking when used as a bed, and ask for a second duvet to use as a makeshift mattress, adding an extra layer of cushioning.”
Yes, indeed, that's what I do on LH routes.

Unfortunately: ".... business class fliers will get a thin mattress topper pad ...".
El Cheapo, please do this the right way, like MH, if needed, charge me $1 for that.......

"... business class fliers will get .... slippers .....", OK, great, something I appreciate from BR, above the CX socks.

"Rivals have or are planning ..... book-the-cook .....": An ISM told me, CX is working on this too, introduction not known, though something like "end of this year (2019)", though it seems to not have made it, for now :(

brunos Jun 23, 2019 2:18 am

Mattress (even thin) and slippers are excellent needed addition and keep up with competition.
Even BA introduced mattress toppers starting in 2017.

Ausriver Jun 23, 2019 4:15 am

I have seen quite a few times that mainland pax ask for slippers on KA flights....finally I don’t need to get them from Pier or Wing shower

sxc Jun 23, 2019 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver (Post 31230589)
I have seen quite a few times that mainland pax ask for slippers on KA flights....finally I don’t need to get them from Pier or Wing shower

I expect they won’t be available on short haul flights.

brunos Jun 23, 2019 6:27 am

CX was quite silly in providing only socks in J and only slippers in F. They don't serve the same purpose. Each time in F, I have to ask for socks and they are the low quality ones from J.

nathjean Jun 23, 2019 8:41 am

Flying return AUS and HKG in Oct, hope CX considers AUS as long haul destinations. Really looking forward to the mattresses topping and slippers, as both my flights will be red-eye.

Would love to see something like SQ’s ‘Book the Cook’ in the future. CX are you listening?

ajhira Jun 23, 2019 10:30 am

Yay it's about time!! I REALLY hope they use the nice thick ones like AA does - they use CASPER ones and they are really nice. If they use something thin and flimsy like the duvet it won't be all that great.... just flew AA from HKG to LAX and the sleep was definitely better... catering on AA is another story but the sleep was good.

Also dual air vents on AA above each seat are a real plus in J.

jacobsleather Jun 23, 2019 7:18 pm

All those slippers are going to generate a ton of waste. I can’t imagine many people will keep them for reuse. Hopefully they issued on request only or sealed so they can be reissued if unused.

QRC3288 Jun 23, 2019 7:25 pm

First class to get "thicker" mattress, too

Although the OPs title talks about J class, if you read that article he/she posted they're saying not only does J gets a mattress topper (as discussed), and First Class gets a new thicker mattress.

I already thought CX F bedding was superb. Hopefully this doesn't muck it up. They've got a good track record with bedding IMO, particularly superb bedding in F compared to pretty much every other carrier I'm familiar with in F. Despite other complaints on CX I am unabashedly loyal to CX F bedding, and I always thought marginal complaints about CX's topper (vs something like JL's gimmicky mattress "choice", IMO, which doesn't even run the full length of the bed and is far less comfy than CX IMO) were misplaced. I'm still optimistic, just worried by the maxim "if it ain't broke..."

Exact quote from SCMP is: "While in first class, ticket holders will get a thicker mattress pad, an upgrade on an existing topper used."

Kacee Jun 24, 2019 9:41 am

It's about time. Especially for slippers.

Nice that CX management recognizes their product is currently sub-par in several respects.

CXYYZ Jun 24, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jacobsleather (Post 31232669)
All those slippers are going to generate a ton of waste. I can’t imagine many people will keep them for reuse. Hopefully they issued on request only or sealed so they can be reissued if unused.

Although I agree, I'm a fan of slippers on long haul flights. Finnair has new slippers that are made from recycled plastic. They feel fine but they're not the best to look at. I assume the environmental impact isn't quite as bad as with their old slippers.

ricktoronto Jun 24, 2019 12:15 pm

I am curious if people who can afford J cannot then afford $0.50 slippers which are no doubt the slip on kind given for zilch at hotels and which one could put in their carry on. Do people carry nothing in case an airline has not provided it? Like a toothbrush? All these airline giveaway items are usually 1/10th as good as what you could buy and bring and not pollute the world more for the sake of saying one deserves it.

SilverChris Jun 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 31234788)
I am curious if people who can afford J cannot then afford $0.50 slippers which are no doubt the slip on kind given for zilch at hotels and which one could put in their carry on. Do people carry nothing in case an airline has not provided it? Like a toothbrush? All these airline giveaway items are usually 1/10th as good as what you could buy and bring and not pollute the world more for the sake of saying one deserves it.

By that logic, passengers should be bringing their own food, drinks, cutlery, cups, plates, napkins, pillow, pillowcase, blanket etc.

Kacee Jun 24, 2019 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 31234788)
I am curious if people who can afford J cannot then afford $0.50 slippers which are no doubt the slip on kind given for zilch at hotels and which one could put in their carry on.

Who said anything about cost being the issue? It's not the money, it's the hassle.