Wiki Posts
Search

1h Connection at ZRH too short?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
1h Connection at ZRH too short?

I am trying to book round trip flights HKG-GVA. However, on the outbound CX's website only gives me the option of HKG-ZRH-GVA, with a 1h connection at ZRH. All the other options are much more expensive. I am worried that this is too short, as I need to clear Immigration and security at ZRH during the transfer. Is there anyway for me to force a longer connection?

In addition, if I book this itinerary, but missed my connection in ZRH, I guess I should ask LX (the operator of ZRH-GVA) to rebook me, right?

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2019, 6:00 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Given that this is all in one itinerary, you will be protected in the event you miss your flight. If you miss your connection, I think you should report to the Cathay Pacific Desk at Zurich Airport, they will rebook you onto the next available flight.
nancypants, kaka and gobblercat like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Once I had one ticket, HKG- FRA by CX, and connected to Zagreb by Croatia Airlines, both in same ticket.

CX delayed almost 3 hours due to bad weather and dozens people lost their connection. There was one CX crew at gate when we landed in Frankfurt but she couldn’t do anything. Eventually I went to Lufthansa transfer desk and Lufthansa booked me next flight to Zagreb
kaka likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:45 am

1 hour is usually sufficient in ZRH if your inbound is not severely delayed. It is a relatively small airport. If you don't see a CX person just go to the Swiss transfer counter.

There are many flights ZRH-GVA, Worst case there are also trains approx. every 30 min, takes 3 hours.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great answers! Really appreciate all the help. I agree that it is not very difficult to get from ZRH to GVA even after I miss my connection, so I will probably book this itinerary then
Old May 6, 2019, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Just to let you know, the train from ZRH the airport to Geneva the city takes 3 hours, so if you missed the connection you might force them to pay for your train ride.
You would probably arrive Geneva the city before the next flight
Old May 6, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
Just to let you know, the train from ZRH the airport to Geneva the city takes 3 hours, so if you missed the connection you might force them to pay for your train ride.
You would probably arrive Geneva the city before the next flight
Thanks for the kind suggestion! Yes, I think the train ride is a good alternative. However, if I want to take the train, who should I talk to? The CX check-in staff at ZRH or the transfer desk staff of LX?
Old May 7, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
1 hour is sufficient and if you miss it there are plenty of other flights ZRH - GVA as Zurich is really the HUB for LX, where LX would rebook you. The train would be the second back-up only
Old May 7, 2019, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by appenzeller
1 hour is sufficient and if you miss it there are plenty of other flights ZRH - GVA as Zurich is really the HUB for LX, where LX would rebook you. The train would be the second back-up only
Ok, thanks for the reply! I will contact LX in case of a missed connection then

An unrelated question: In case I miss my connection, and get rebooked to a later LX flight, I can enter LX's lounge based on my *G status with United (despite the fact that the reservation will be associated with my MPC number), right? Do I need to have LX change the FFP on my boarding pass to UA's, or do I just need to show my *G status using UA's app?

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2019, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Ok, thanks for the reply! I will contact LX in case of a missed connection then

An unrelated question: In case I miss my connection, and get rebooked to a later LX flight, I can enter LX's lounge based on my *G status with United (despite the fact that the reservation will be associated with my MPC number), right? Do I need to have LX change the FFP on my boarding pass to UA's, or do I just need to show my *G status using UA's app?

Thanks!
depends on your luck. sometimes u can keep ur ffp as it is
Old May 7, 2019, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka

depends on your luck. sometimes u can keep ur ffp as it is
Oh, I see. I do want to keep my MPC points but also want to use the LX lounge This question is also relevant when I fly LX from GVA to ZRH on my return leg. I guess I will have to see what happens on the spot then.
kaka likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Frankly, I would not worry about your outbound.
Both flights are coded CX (ZRH-GVA LX metal) and if you mis the 07:30, CX will automatically put you on the 09:30 (hopefully flight is not full). Every day they have pax flying from HKG to GVA and the ZRH station (or HQ) is used to it and will take care of your rebooking,.even before you land if your plane is delayed. They will wait at the door with new boarding passes.
I would not entertain the idea of trains, as it will be quite complicated to modify the ticket.
And you should have access to the Senator lounge with your *G card.

On the other hand, I would always be inclined to worry about the return trip where the longhaul is the second flight. But you should get 1h30 transfer time and LX GVA-ZRH flights are quite punctual in the morning.
BTW: the reason that other LX flights to GVA are more expensive is that CX have an agreement (codeshare) on LX2802 but not on the other flights.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Frankly, I would not worry about your outbound.
Both flights are coded CX (ZRH-GVA LX metal) and if you mis the 07:30, CX will automatically put you on the 09:30 (hopefully flight is not full). Every day they have pax flying from HKG to GVA and the ZRH station (or HQ) is used to it and will take care of your rebooking,.even before you land if your plane is delayed. They will wait at the door with new boarding passes.
I would not entertain the idea of trains, as it will be quite complicated to modify the ticket.
And you should have access to the Senator lounge with your *G card.

On the other hand, I would always be inclined to worry about the return trip where the longhaul is the second flight. But you should get 1h30 transfer time and LX GVA-ZRH flights are quite punctual in the morning.
BTW: the reason that other LX flights to GVA are more expensive is that CX have an agreement (codeshare) on LX2802 but not on the other flights.
Great! Thanks for your reply! I figured that if CX is willing to sell this 1h connection, it is probably safe, but it is reassuring to hear comments from an experienced CX flyer

Yes, the return trip has a 1h35m connection at ZRH. I agree with you that in case the GVA-ZRH flight gets seriously delayed, I would be in trouble as CX only operates one ZRH-HKG flight each day. However, I guess probably the evening ZRH-HKG by LX will be the backup plan in case of IRROPS? Also, it is good to know that morning GVA-ZRH flights are usually punctual
Old May 7, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Great! Thanks for your reply! I figured that if CX is willing to sell this 1h connection, it is probably safe, but it is reassuring to hear comments from an experienced CX flyer

Yes, the return trip has a 1h35m connection at ZRH. I agree with you that in case the GVA-ZRH flight gets seriously delayed, I would be in trouble as CX only operates one ZRH-HKG flight each day. However, I guess probably the evening ZRH-HKG by LX will be the backup plan in case of IRROPS? Also, it is good to know that morning GVA-ZRH flights are usually punctual
I would not worry for your inbound flights either.
You have a very reasonable connection time.
Of course, anything can always happen and even a 3h connection time is sometimes not enough, but you should be fine.
ZRH is not such a small airport. You will have to take a train from your arrival in A to the CX departure gate in E and go through police control, security and possibly a long walk in E. But that should be fast enough.
And if the missed connection is caused by LX GVA-ZRH delay, CX/LX should be inclined to rebook you on the LX evening flight. But CX might prefer to rerout you to another European city then a CX flight back to HKG. Again CX/LX are reliable airlines in case of irrops and they will be prepared with an option.

Last edited by brunos; May 7, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old May 7, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I would not worry for your inbound flights either.
You have a very reasonable connection time.
Of course, anything can always happen and even a 3h connection time is sometimes not enough, but you should be fine.
ZRH is not such a small airport. You will have to take a train from your arrival in A to the CX departure gate in E and go through police control, security and possibly a long walk in E. But that should be fast enough.
And if the missed connection is caused by LX GVA-ZRH delay, CX/LX should be inclined to rebook you on the LX evening flight. But CX might prefer to rerout you to another European city then a CX flight back to HKG. Again CX/LX are reliable airlines in case of irrops and they will be prepared with an option.
Thanks for your detailed reply! Really appreciate your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.