Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:00 am

Confirmed that Cx have removed ALL F and J class inventory including subclass for the whole of 2019 to and from North America.

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
This article came to mind when I saw the prices this morning

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-14/cathay-pacific-still-assessing-damages-from-worst-airline-hack

i was able to snatch 2 exHAN tickets..,exDAD were cheaper but we’re harder to confirm.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:25 am

Please do use HK slang here, I have picked up quite a few phrases thanks to their English rendition on Flyertalk.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: CX MPC
Only a matter of time before it turned up in the SCMP:

Cathay Pacific sells first and business class tickets to North America for economy prices in apparent error – but will airline honour deal?

Calchas likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
As it should @dgittings.

Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@MoDs: This is not only a cross post, but also a sure fire way to exacerbate airline response.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Moderator note: I don’t see any reason why this thread shouldn’t continue here.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by shd9
It is dead now... But I wonder does CX have a clause about mistaken fare in their CoC? Otherwise if a ticket is issued, it's a binding contract. So if CX don't honor those fares, it could technically be brought to the small claims court?
Not necessarily in the U.S. In the more recent instances, DOT has ruled that the fare can be refunded at the airline's option. On a strict U.S. common law contract theory, it's an obvious unilateral mistake and voidable, seems to me.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 1, 2019 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
will it cause just a refund rather than allow the affected ones to travel? I am waiting for F on these flights:
19/4: CX872
29/4: CX883
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
CX only has 6 F seats per flight, and not all flights.
Given the publicity on many blogs, one could assume that they sold several hundred F tickets.
If they honor the error fares, good luck for finding A fares in the coming months. Or good luck for changing your flights if you bought an A fare at high non-error prices. Or good luck for getting an F award to US.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
CX only has 6 F seats per flight, and not all flights.
Given the publicity on many blogs, one could assume that they sold several hundred F tickets.
I'm speculating that the number of F tickets sold is well over thousand. EF shows F0 for ~80% of HKG-YVR flights through the EOS, occasional F1 and very rare F2. Once you add BOS, JFK and SFO - its 1-2 thousand at least
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Didn't stop a local blogger calling this fare a bug...
Bloggers deliberately use expressions like "mistake fare" or "bug" even when they don't really know what constitutes a mistake or how to evaluate that because it drives traffic from search engines. Any kind of good sale is now labelled a "mistake fare".

Originally Posted by tonykline1947
I'm speculating that the number of F tickets sold is well over thousand. EF shows F0 for ~80% of HKG-YVR flights through the EOS, occasional F1 and very rare F2. Once you add BOS, JFK and SFO - its 1-2 thousand at least
The fare in question (AAARRVN8) was not bookable in F class, only in A class. It seems to me CX simply pulled as much inventory as possible. Presumably they will repair this once they've had a chance to evaluate the total number of seats sold under this fare.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
If we actually buy cash F tickets, or use Asia Miles for F upgrades, are we screwed?

If thousands of these tickets were indeed sold, am I correct in assuming F inventory for actual cash passengers and Asia Miles upgrades from J are going to be seriously impacted?

I use all of the above for me and Mrs QRC: A fares, companion awards accompanying A fare (occasionally F fare), J-F Asia Miles upgrades from J class, and in the last two years: Diamond upgrade certs to A class inventory.

Does anyone on here know how many tickets were impacted by this? If thousands, and North America only (where I predominantly fly CX F to), back of the envelope math would say we're impacted. If 10k tickets or more, those of us who actually buy A fares regularly / use Asia Miles / Diamond certs are pretty screwed. Ugh.

My maths
10x routes = 20x sectors daily to/from North America
X 6 seats per flight = 120x F class seats daily to/from North America
= 44k seats annually

So 2.5k tickets sold means about 5% of the annual F inventory to/from N. America was just swiped by these people. 15k tickets would be 30% of F inventory.

And I can only imagine that A fare could be impacted by as much as 50-75%>

If a few hundred seats were impacted, it seems like CX could afford to honor and live with their mistake. But if we're talking about thousands of seats, I seriously hope they cancel these tickets. Otherwise it seems there will be a serious impact for the rest of us who actually pay for these tickets normally.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QRC3288
If thousands of these tickets were indeed sold, am I correct in assuming F inventory for actual cash passengers and Asia Miles upgrades from J are going to be seriously impacted?

If a few hundred seats were impacted, it seems like CX could afford to honor and live with their mistake. But if we're talking about thousands of seats, I seriously hope they cancel these tickets. Otherwise it seems there will be a serious impact for the rest of us who actually pay for these tickets normally.
Yes; a shortage of supply will increase the equilibrium price. But the supply restriction is only limited to CX metal. Many of CX's passengers would be quite happy to travel on other carriers. So, it is a balance for CX to push up the average price of their product without losing so many passengers that the net revenue falls.

The problem for any airline is that there are only so many passengers who will tolerate the price of full F tickets. If CX tries to make up the loss by closing even more A inventory and forcing F pricing, they cannot invent new passengers willing to tolerate F prices.

Therefore, if CX decided to go ahead with these sold tickets, there is a big squeeze on the A inventory, but it doesn't help CX to make the squeeze artificially tighter. That will just result in empty seats.

Non-revenue products such as upgrade awards or the like and award redemption space is likely to be the first to be cut.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288

I use all of the above for me and Mrs QRC: A fares, companion awards accompanying A fare (occasionally F fare), J-F Asia Miles upgrades from J class, and in the last two years: Diamond upgrade certs to A class inventory.

Does anyone on here know how many tickets were impacted by this? If thousands, and North America only (where I predominantly fly CX F to), back of the envelope math would say we're impacted. If 10k tickets or more, those of us who actually buy A fares regularly / use Asia Miles / Diamond certs are pretty screwed. Ugh.

My maths
10x routes = 20x sectors daily to/from North America
X 6 seats per flight = 120x F class seats daily to/from North America
= 44k seats annually

So 2.5k tickets sold means about 5% of the annual F inventory to/from N. America was just swiped by these people. 15k tickets would be 30% of F inventory.

And I can only imagine that A fare could be impacted by as much as 50-75%>

The word from one of the Cathay staff WhatsApp groups that I'm privy to (and that should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt!) is that about 50% of the entire First Class inventory for 2019 HK-US flights was sold last night.
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.