FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Best HKG Lounge for breakfast. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1939580-best-hkg-lounge-breakfast.html)

johnaalex Nov 8, 2018 11:02 am

Best HKG Lounge for breakfast.

Soon I will be flying LHR:HKG:BKK. I will be travelling in First on the CX252 which is due to land at 07:00 and then I leave on the CX619 which departs at 09:10. As OW Emerald I know I can access any of the CX lounges but which would be the best with regards to the food and like postion for the gates?

TIA.

clubeurope Nov 8, 2018 2:19 pm

I read in the Sodexo thread that the food appears to be consistent in all the lounges now(?), so I suppose it should all be the same. That said, I haven't checked out much of the other lounges as I always head to The Pier by default.

Gates can be rather random at times, so it depends on the day.

Finally, if there's one lounge that I really dislike and would not recommend would be The Deck, which just feels too small (and the low ceilings in an otherwise open setting does not help).

The _Banking_Scot Nov 8, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi,

Not sure if you have flown Cathay before but on the IFE ( moving map screen I think) prior to landing they will show the arrival gate and connecting flight gates ( always subject to change of course)

I was in Cathay J from Lon-HKG connecting to HKG-NRT and given I had a full english breakfast prior to arrival into HKG and that we would be getting another breakfast on the HKG-NRT flight, I found the Pantry area in the Pier F more than adequate for some fruit, yoghurt and coffee and orange juice.

Have not been to the other lounges at breakfast time.

Regards
TBS

Sohoboy Nov 8, 2018 7:42 pm

Unless you are super fond of Local Food, I suggest you try the Qantas Lounge where has better quality food and services. You can consider If your departure gate is between no. 1-24 which is within 15 minutes walking distance.

djsflynn Nov 8, 2018 10:32 pm

Given the relatively short turnaround and need to transit, your choice of lounge could depend on the arrival gate for CX252 and departure gate for CX619. If the gates are at the opposite ends of the terminal you'll lose a bit of time but at least you have a choice of lounges at either end!

Personally I quite like The Wing First Class for breakfast because it has a decent buffet along with the à la carte menu; haven't had breakfast at the QF lounge (~10m walk away, near gate 15, just behind CX's The Deck) but I believe this is now used by some other airlines in the morning so they apparently do a good breakfast spread.

With regards to your necessary transit, you may already know this, but keep an eye out for the 'secondary' transit channels at HKG rather than the main 'E' and 'W' ones. The map below shows their locations (adjacent to arrival gates 29, 42 and 63) and if your flight arrives close to any of those transit channels they will offer a much faster transfer from the arrivals floor to the departures floor instead of following everybody in automatically trudging to the E or W transit areas.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2e451c74f4.jpg
Here's an article I put together from my own experience – https://www.ausbt.com.au/fast-track-your-transit-at-hong-kong-airport – hope it's useful! Note that the secondary transit channels are not always open and also you will need your onwards boarding pass if you can get that issued at LHR checkin.

sxc Nov 8, 2018 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn (Post 30410431)
haven't had breakfast at the QF lounge (~10m walk away, near gate 15, just behind CX's The Deck) but I believe this is now used by some other airlines in the morning so they apparently do a good breakfast spread.

Compared to the usual food at QF, Breakfast is probably the most disappointing. The QF lounge caters for JAL flights during the day so the meals are slanted towards Japanese tastes. There are the "steamed" scrambled eggs (basically broken up steamed eggs) which are fine, but not traditional scrambled eggs. And the sausages I had a few months ago have a really hard skin.

Where the QF lounge is good in the morning is coffee and pastries. Pastries are delicious. So if you want a continental breakfast, QF lounge is your choice.

Nicc HK Nov 9, 2018 2:04 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 30410485)
Compared to the usual food at QF, Breakfast is probably the most disappointing. The QF lounge caters for JAL flights during the day so the meals are slanted towards Japanese tastes.

Agreed. I was told by the QF lounge staff JAL brought in Japanese experts to advise on the menu for the JAL clientele. I can only think they were mechanical rather than culinary experts.

I do think the Dim Sum has improved in the CX lounges, only problem is keep having to ask for extra in the First Wing, or wait for the staff to refill in the Pier.

londonexpert Nov 9, 2018 7:12 am

I personally don't see whats the fuss on the QF lounge. IMO the food and bev offering is better in all CX lounges. However some people may like salad and find the offering more to their taste.

johnaalex Nov 10, 2018 8:53 am

Many thanks for the all the useful info.