Wiki Posts
Search

CX increase at HND?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club
CX increase at HND?

Currently CX flies a whopping 6 daily flights to NRT (1 of which routes via TPE), and 2 daily flights out of HND (OK, 3 if you count KA daily A321)... taking into account the market importance of Tokyo for CX and the huge effort they put into the lounge at HND, I wonder if they are wanting to serve more frequencies out of HND? (I'm sure they do, but the Japanese carriers must be putting up a fight as a lot of traffic to Asia and Europe is siphoned off by CX) Anyway, my question is: what do you think? Does CX want more frequencies out of HND? Do you think they should have more frequencies out of HND? SQ now has 4 daily, why does CX only have 2? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas. Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: What is better than ZED?
Slots. There is no more HND slots available to HK carriers. KA operates with a night slot which there’s a couple still.

Likewise SQ have used up all of singapore’s Allocation of day slots.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:39 am

KA sent the A330 last week for a few days so clearly there’s demand. Would be good if that became the norm !
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

I see about the slots. I wish CX would bite the bullet and do a midnight departure out of HND that could connect with the SE and S Asia bound flights out of HK. KA sent the A330? Brilliant! Can't wait to see more and I'd love to see that become a regular!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by 5x24
Slots. There is no more HND slots available to HK carriers. KA operates with a night slot which there’s a couple still.
KA’s new schedule arrives into HND at around 5:30am and leaves HND roughly an hour later, is that considered as night slots?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Central90210

KA’s new schedule arrives into HND at around 5:30am and leaves HND roughly an hour later, is that considered as night slots?
Night slot is for movements between 22.00-07.00 so yes
Central90210 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Slot

I think it will be hard for any daytime slots to come anytime soon.

You will note the new SQ flights are late night arrivals and red-eyes return. The inbound will arrive Haneda at 1:30am and departure time is 2:50am.
For Singapore, red-eye flights are somehow more acceptable, but for HKG, it is really tough. However, unless Hong Kong Express suddenly goes out of business, there won't be any more day or night slots for a while.

However it seems like Haneda will open up slots before 2020 Olympics and here is a link to the article:
https://centreforaviation.com/analys...l-grows-401552

I am sure CX will be happy to add a few more day time flights to Haneda but for now, CX is going to get as many Narita slots as they can.

Carfield
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm holding out for the 2020 slot increase.
I also wonder why CX won't do a red-eye? It'll be a good connection to their SE Asian and India/Sri Lanka direction flights. Living in Tokyo, I find very good connections to Europe via HKIA on CX, but very bad ones to SE Asia, India etc... and I think a midnight departure out of HND would be the answer. Oh well, I'm just an armchair CEO so what do I know?
Thanks for the article link - it's nice to see HND growing - but when the second airport at Beijing opens I suppose it'll be a whole other story. Have you seen the third runway proposals for NRT? I know its still very far ahead, but it seems like FINALLY the reticent Japanese are beginning to take notice and compete.
Ah... I wait for the day with more CX flights at HND. (They have a spectacular lounge at HND btw)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
HND night time slot is still available as I know. That's why LCC tend to use that slot.

For CX's case on HKG-HND, problem should be happened in HKG not HND. There is no departure slot left for HKG at anytime and only arrival slot available at 00:00-04:00.
If CX have to operate old KA396 time, they might need to get slot back from other operator or themselves.

Another reason for few CX/KA HND service is UO. A lot of price sensitive and leisure customers go to UO for better pricing and better time.
They can arrive HND at night to catch the last bus to hotel or to reach HND in the morning. CX was torture by UO/NH's red-eye strategy so they have to terminate old KA396.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Actually the old KA396 was quite popular for Japanese to "flash visit" Hong Kong... Honestly to me leaving HK at 6pm to Tokyo is also quiet good... albeit if they can leave at around 8pm would be a killer
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong
Actually the old KA396 was quite popular for Japanese to "flash visit" Hong Kong... Honestly to me leaving HK at 6pm to Tokyo is also quiet good... albeit if they can leave at around 8pm would be a killer
If they leave at 8 PM, likely to be miss the last train or bus. If so, leisure customer cannot be attract.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pochi
HND night time slot is still available as I know. That's why LCC tend to use that slot.

For CX's case on HKG-HND, problem should be happened in HKG not HND. There is no departure slot left for HKG at anytime and only arrival slot available at 00:00-04:00.
If CX have to operate old KA396 time, they might need to get slot back from other operator or themselves.

Another reason for few CX/KA HND service is UO. A lot of price sensitive and leisure customers go to UO for better pricing and better time.
They can arrive HND at night to catch the last bus to hotel or to reach HND in the morning. CX was torture by UO/NH's red-eye strategy so they have to terminate old KA396.
I see! I wasn't thinking of the HK slot availability issues as well. Here's hoping the third runway will help improve things! In the meantime, let's hope KA's early morning strategy out of HND yields benefits for the Cathay Group and HND based travellers! (Actually, come to think of it, the KA flight always comes up as a good option schedule-wise when looking for CX/KA flights to SE Asia and India directions... so I see the CX group definitely has their thinking hat on!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.