FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   CP Loss After Counter Reset (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1909241-cp-loss-after-counter-reset.html)

buuneeroo May 14, 2018 1:38 am

CP Loss After Counter Reset

Hi all, I am a newbie to this. Due to my recent job, I have accumlated 315 CP in the last few months which bumped me up from Green to SIlver. The most recent flight was a 100 CP flight which made the bump from 215 to 315 CP. Without knowing, the remaining 15 CP was reset to zero after the upgrading from Green to Silver. I then called MPC Hotline and they said the only way to avoid the 15 remaining CP to be reset to zero are

1) notify MPC when I have an upcoming flight that could bring me to the next tier to do a “pre-up” so that the remaining balance won’t be forfeited.

2) Call to reset during the short windows after the last flight being credited and before the system make the change from Green to Silver

So what should be the protocol here? I know 15 CP is not much but I want to find ways to get it back. From what I have heard from the MPC Rep, it seems impossible to do so after the reset.

Can anyone help? Much appreciated.

sxc May 14, 2018 2:15 am

I don't think you're going to get much help here. That's the way the system works, and you won't be able to claw back those 15 points.

gpia May 14, 2018 3:50 am

Agree with sxc, that's how the program works and you don't have a case. I am certain they won't transfer the 15 points to this membership year.

However, the reset to zero is a frequent question on this forum and I would say it's not something everyone should be aware of. So here's what I would do: write an email to [email protected] and ask them if they are willing to retroactively consider these 15 points, should you be 15 points or less short for silver next year. If they agree, they'll put a note in your file, and I have never heard of them not honoring what they promised. Will work better if you have a number of flights booked on CX metal already that indicate you're on your way to silver.

Since there is no "solution" to your question, at least there's a chance the points will not be entirely wasted.

ernestnywang May 14, 2018 4:49 am

Originally Posted by buuneeroo (Post 29750945)
I then called MPC Hotline and they said the only way to avoid the 15 remaining CP to be reset to zero are

1) notify MPC when I have an upcoming flight that could bring me to the next tier to do a “pre-up” so that the remaining balance won’t be forfeited.

2) Call to reset during the short windows after the last flight being credited and before the system make the change from Green to Silver

I didn't even know they could do this! Does anyone else have the experience?

rays May 14, 2018 5:04 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 29751290)
I didn't even know they could do this! Does anyone else have the experience?

Yeah I have done that before but that only works if you are only a few points away from retaining or upgrading to next level, say 10 or 15 CP. in OP's case, he was 85 CP away from Silver so I don't think it will work. But definitely write to the club and they should agree to include the 15CP for next membership year if the OP need it to retain SL or upgrade to GO. But of course the 15CP would not be credited back to his account.

ernestnywang May 14, 2018 5:21 am

Originally Posted by rays (Post 29751331)
Yeah I have done that before but that only works if you are only a few points away from retaining or upgrading to next level, say 10 or 15 CP. in OP's case, he was 85 CP away from Silver so I don't think it will work. But definitely write to the club and they should agree to include the 15CP for next membership year if the OP need it to retain SL or upgrade to GO. But of course the 15CP would not be credited back to his account.

I know they could put a note in case I don't quite make the threshold the next membership year - this I have experience, but an early reset (before the threshold is met) or "pre-up" sounds too good to be true to me.

rays May 14, 2018 5:43 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 29751356)
I know they could put a note in case I don't quite make the threshold the next membership year - this I have experience, but an early reset (before the threshold is met) or "pre-up" sounds too good to be true to me.

Yeah you can actually "pre-up", I got pre-up to SL when I was 20 CP away and had a long-haul J flight coming. I also got pre-up to GO, I was only 5 CP away and got a JFK-HKG J flight coming so I wrote to the club and all went very smoothly.

btw it's called pre-up but it actually happens after you fly the segment, but before it is credited to your account.

PS I think there are also cases that CX pre-up some people several months before their membership ends

Sydflyerr May 14, 2018 7:19 am

I understand this is a bit of a stretch but:

I have an upcoming flight from SYD-LHR and am on 500 CP, meaning I am 100CP off CX Gold. Will I be able to call the service line to discuss whether there is any way to avoid losing 60CP when I am upgraded to Gold (160CP for I class from SYD-LHR) or is 100cp off CX Gold too much of a stretch?

Thanks

midlevels May 14, 2018 7:49 am

You're lucky that you wasted only 15 CP.

Many others in the same boat as you have wasted as much as 100 CP and still didn't get much in the way of help, unfortunately.

ernestnywang May 14, 2018 7:55 am

Originally Posted by rays (Post 29751412)
Yeah you can actually "pre-up", I got pre-up to SL when I was 20 CP away and had a long-haul J flight coming. I also got pre-up to GO, I was only 5 CP away and got a JFK-HKG J flight coming so I wrote to the club and all went very smoothly.

btw it's called pre-up but it actually happens after you fly the segment, but before it is credited to your account.

PS I think there are also cases that CX pre-up some people several months before their membership ends

Good to know, thanks!

beach86 May 14, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Sydflyerr (Post 29751650)

I have an upcoming flight from SYD-LHR and am on 500 CP, meaning I am 100CP off CX Gold. Will I be able to call the service line to discuss whether there is any way to avoid losing 60CP when I am upgraded to Gold (160CP for I class from SYD-LHR) or is 100cp off CX Gold too much of a stretch?

Thanks

Only add your FF number on one sector and claim via missing miles after flying a regional route.

QRC3288 May 14, 2018 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Sydflyerr (Post 29751650)

Thanks

I think you're just asking will they make you Gold now? The answer is almost certainly no. The system sucks but that's how it is. You lose points. If you want to be very judicious with your CP, then you should leave your membership # off the HKG-LHR sector if this is a transit strip it off at HKG, accrue the SYD leg (70k right?), fly some other itineraries in the future which are 30 points, and then credit back your LHR flight. Or take it off the entire itinerary to be safe (because the LHR sector might credit even if you strip off, if you had it on the SYD sector), and retroactively claim the LHR first (90 points), then fly 10 CP, get Gold, then retroactively claim th SYD points. Stupid but this is their game.

gpia May 14, 2018 11:23 am

Aim for retrocrediting the outbound leg(s), if timing and calculation allows. And if you’re willing to forfeit the op up chance. Too many reports where the number sticks to the entire itinerary after crediting the first part

synthkeys May 14, 2018 7:21 pm

It's just the policy. I lost 65CP on my last member year reset. If you are approaching GO, be proactive and do as recommended above by removing your FF# from your booking. Once you've taken the flight seems there is no way to claw back.

Sydflyerr May 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 29751908)
I think you're just asking will they make you Gold now? The answer is almost certainly no. The system sucks but that's how it is. You lose points. If you want to be very judicious with your CP, then you should leave your membership # off the HKG-LHR sector if this is a transit strip it off at HKG, accrue the SYD leg (70k right?), fly some other itineraries in the future which are 30 points, and then credit back your LHR flight. Or take it off the entire itinerary to be safe (because the LHR sector might credit even if you strip off, if you had it on the SYD sector), and retroactively claim the LHR first (90 points), then fly 10 CP, get Gold, then retroactively claim th SYD points. Stupid but this is their game.

Originally Posted by gpia (Post 29752483)
Aim for retrocrediting the outbound leg(s), if timing and calculation allows. And if you’re willing to forfeit the op up chance. Too many reports where the number sticks to the entire itinerary after crediting the first part

Originally Posted by synthkeys (Post 29754142)
It's just the policy. I lost 65CP on my last member year reset. If you are approaching GO, be proactive and do as recommended above by removing your FF# from your booking. Once you've taken the flight seems there is no way to claw back.

I see, thanks for that! Might try and fly a few QF legs before I go to LHR