Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Pier - first world moan [delivery of meals]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, BA Lifetime Gold

Currently in The Pier (HKG). Does anyone else get annoyed at the staff’s habit in the restaurant, of bringing the starter with the main course? On this occasion, I even expressly stated that I had plenty of time and not to rush. Eating the western choice, so not as if it would be customary to bring the dishes at once.

Long route home to LHR as BA pricing uneconomic and Finnair fully booked from PEK for the next few days in C. So Cathy to HKG and then Finnair the rest of the way. Plenty of TPs though.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Africanflyer1955
Currently in The Pier (HKG). Does anyone else get annoyed at the staff’s habit in the restaurant, of bringing the starter with the main course? On this occasion, I even expressly stated that I had plenty of time and not to rush. Eating the western choice, so not as if it would be customary to bring the dishes at once.

Long route home to LHR as BA pricing uneconomic and Finnair fully booked from PEK for the next few days in C. So Cathy to HKG and then Finnair the rest of the way. Plenty of TPs though.
Yes, because having to flog down a member of staff in GF in order to get something is so much more high class... I guess there's always a chance to eat at the buffet!

This should be moved to the CX forum.
Rami Tamimi likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:42 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this has nothing to do with BA, we'll personally deliver it to a more appropriate home in the CX forum.

NWIFlyer
BA Forum
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Yes, because having to flog down a member of staff in GF in order to get something is so much more high class... I guess there's always a chance to eat at the buffet!
How true! I can't recall a single time when a member of staff came proactively to take my order, let alone to ask if I needed anything. But then... I always arrive feeling ravenous, so I don't just sit there sitting patiently.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It’s a Hong Kong thing. Restaurants tend not to care about when dishes are delivered (even western restaurants often).

But in The Pier I would rather the dishes come faster than slower even if it means overlap. And asking them to slow down delivery will be met on deaf ears.

Maybe I’ve been in HK too long to care about these things anymore.
kaffir76, 07L 25R, royng and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffč Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by sxc
It’s a Hong Kong thing...
Most definitely is. If I were at some actual fancy restaurant, then maybe I would like the courses to come in order. Otherwise, The Pier included, I would much prefer this approach of getting everything ASAP - whether all at once or out of order - so I can just gobble it all down and get on with life work.
royng likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I would order a 3 course meal at the Pier and sometimes get the dessert first, and the appetizer last! Go figures...
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by sxc
It’s a Hong Kong thing. Restaurants tend not to care about when dishes are delivered (even western restaurants often).

But in The Pier I would rather the dishes come faster than slower even if it means overlap. And asking them to slow down delivery will be met on deaf ears.

Maybe I’ve been in HK too long to care about these things anymore.
It is not quite a Hong Kong thing. I have, in many occasions, enjoyed western style lunches and dinners in Hong Kong with courses delivered serially in the correct order, even in non-fancy restaurants.

When Pier F re-opened, I was there and courses were correctly delivered. Perhaps this situation was because of management changes?
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:25 am

They serve it as it gets made?

I haven't had the starter served with the mains. I have had multiple mains come all at once though.
(but I did have the main come when I wasn't quite yet done with the starter)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Why not order them separately? That is my approach in most (non-high-end) restaurants in Hong Kong when I would like to eat the food in a certain order. I generally order the main course when the starter arrives if I'm in a hurry, or when I finish the starter if I'm not.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
What christep says above. I would just order the starter and tell my server I'll keep the menu and order the rest later.
gpia and QRC3288 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
They can't win for losing in there. Folks yell at them (...ahem, me included) for being painfully slow bringing out dishes, to the point where on numerous occasions - especially in the months after PP took over - I was leaving for my flight before food arrived.

And other folks are peeved when they want a slow meal.

Pretty much agree with all the regulars' posts above.

IME, when crossing cultures just freaking tell people exactly what you want: "Bring this first, this second, this third, in that exact order". What is easily understood in another culture, say "I have plenty of time and don't rush" (OP's quote...perhaps makes sense in my home country of the US, but I can easily see how it misses the mark in HK), is not always going to directly translate in another culture.

My bet is what happened is the two dishes were ready at roughly the same time, so they brought them out instead of sticking one on the heatpad (if a hot dish). No doubt inspired by the fact many of us...aka myself....have yelled at them endlessly because of how damn slow service was before.
fishball and infinitium like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:14 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I didn't experience this "problem" in Pier F yesterday; nor has it ever happened to me before.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It is not quite a Hong Kong thing. I have, in many occasions, enjoyed western style lunches and dinners in Hong Kong with courses delivered serially in the correct order, even in non-fancy restaurants.

When Pier F re-opened, I was there and courses were correctly delivered. Perhaps this situation was because of management changes?
Of course, not every restaurant is as I describe. But there is definitely a different service culture in HK and many restaurants will deliver meals as they are ready, rather than timing them properly.

My actual experience in The Pier is inconsistent. Sometimes the courses are brought one by one, sometimes the main course comes as I'm still eating the first. It's not perfect service, but considering you are sometimes short on time, I prefer the courses to come rushed rather than drawn out.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
What christep says above. I would just order the starter and tell my server I'll keep the menu and order the rest later.
Yes this is the best way around it. But for occasional visitors to the HKG lounges, they won't know this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Whilst many upper scale restau can time it better, the hk culture cannot tolerate spending 3 hours over dinner. And In airport/lounge, many ppl r rushing for planes- and asking them to take it slow would be pushing the limits of the lounge’s ability.
07L 25R and royng like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.