Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Finnair codeshare with MH/AA not eligible for club points/Asia Miles???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Last November, I travelled on a number of business class flights all booked via Finnair. I was able to earn club points/Asia Miles on Finnair metal flights, but not flights that were codeshare with AA and MH. Does that sound right? In the past, I have definitely earned points flight BA codeshare flights with AA but this was my first time flying Finnair. My itinerary was as follows:

JFK-LHR (codeshare with AA) - club points/Asia Miles request rejected
LHR-HEL (Finnair metal) - earned club points/Asia Miles (had to submit request)
HEL-BKK (Finnair metal) - earned club points/Asia Miles (this was the only leg where the club points/miles were automatically credited)
BKK-KUL (codeshare with MH) - club points/Asia Miles request rejected

Does this sound right? I'm going to be short renewing for Gold if that's the case

Any insights appreciated.

Thanks!

Update: I tweeted Finnair who confirmed that the AA and MH flights were indeed codeshare and not charter (duh), and that the fare class was D. I emailed the screenshots to Cathay, and my club points and Asia miles were credited within 3 business days. Finnair responded to my DMs on Twitter within one business day, they were lovely.

Last edited by suziemay; Mar 7, 2018 at 9:27 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Did you only use the online request form so far to request points? What are the fare classes of each of the segments?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

Check your fare classes. I've flown AY codeshare on BA metal and have gotten my club points no problem.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Did you only use the online request form so far to request points? What are the fare classes of each of the segments?
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
Check your fare classes. I've flown AY codeshare on BA metal and have gotten my club points no problem.
I completed the form and submitted it with ticket receipt and boarding passes via email. Of the 4 segments, only the HEL-BKK automatically processed from when I attached my Cathay FF#. LHR-HEL segment earned points/miles from the missing miles form submission. I spoke to MPC customer service who said to resend and they will look into it, he said flights marketed as Finnair "should" be eligible but then tried to tell me the two denied segments were "charter flights" so those would not be eligible. HUH?? In any case he said he would take another look, and also added two months to my current Feb 28 deadline to accrue club points to renew my status. I will still drop to silver after Feb 28 but if I get the additional points I need by April 28, I will revert back to Gold (or so he said).

I'm not sure how to determine my fare class (is there a way to look for this easily?) but these were all business class, are there any business class fare classes that wouldn't be eligible for club points/miles accrual? I know it happens in economy but I thought even the cheapest business class fares would still accrue points/miles.

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by suziemay
I completed the form and submitted it with ticket receipt and boarding passes via email. Of the 4 segments, only the HEL-BKK automatically processed from when I attached my Cathay FF#. LHR-HEL segment earned points/miles from the missing miles form submission. I spoke to MPC customer service who said to resend and they will look into it, he said flights marketed as Finnair "should" be eligible but then tried to tell me the two denied segments were "charter flights" so those would not be eligible. HUH?? In any case he said he would take another look, and also added two months to my current Feb 28 deadline to accrue club points to renew my status. I will still drop to silver after Feb 28 but if I get the additional points I need by April 28, I will revert back to Gold (or so he said).

I'm not sure how to determine my fare class (is there a way to look for this easily?) but these were all business class, are there any business class fare classes that wouldn't be eligible for club points/miles accrual? I know it happens in economy but I thought even the cheapest business class fares would still accrue points/miles.

Thanks!
Sounds like they're trying to use the T&Cs #2 to deny your club points

"Certain fares and flights are not eligible for earning miles. These include industry / agency discounts, award travel, prize, donation, group and other special discounted tickets, chartered flights and certain codeshare flights."
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

"Certain fares and flights are not eligible for earning miles. These include industry / agency discounts, award travel, prize, donation, group and other special discounted tickets, chartered flights and certain codeshare flights."
Boo hoo. So lame. I’ll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific

Thanks!
how many club points do you short to renew your gold status? Many posts stated that they will renew your status even short of club points.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:50 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

All business fares should get points typically but you never know until you know the fare class. For example some MH fares don’t accrue.

Do you have the e-ticket? The subclass should normally be shown there.

I wouldn’t accept the “charter” flights excuse. Once you can prove the subclass, then push this one hard next time you call them.

But as noted, there’s a lot of people being given renewal regardless, so you might get renewed anyway.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific
Originally Posted by sxc
All business fares should get points typically but you never know until you know the fare class. For example some MH fares don’t accrue.

I wouldn’t accept the “charter” flights excuse. Once you can prove the subclass, then push this one hard next time you call them.

But as noted, there’s a lot of people being given renewal regardless, so you might get renewed anyway.
The boarding pass can tell either the flight is charter or schedule.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klau010
how many club points do you short to renew your gold status? Many posts stated that they will renew your status even short of club points.
I'm going to be short ~35 points

Originally Posted by sxc

I purchased through AmexTravel. I wonder if that's the problem? The e-Ticket from Amex doesn't seem to show the subclass so maybe that's why they automatically assumed not eligible for codeshare flights. I'm going to reach out to Finnair, maybe they can tell me fareclass.

Boarding passes were each from BA and MH respectively, then indicated the AY codeshare flight #. I don't think it could be mistaken as charter but maybe I'm not understanding what a charter flight means.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:32 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Amex travel should be able to tell you the fare classes if you call them. And if you have an itinerary from them normally it will show also.

If you are short 35 points I think you’re going to get renewed regardless.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Does this sound right? I'm going to be short renewing for Gold if that's the case
No, it doesn't. All those codeshare flights are AY flights operated by OW airlines so they are all eligible for miles and club points. I've received AM/MPC points on the same JFK-LHR route (AY fare operated by BA instead of AA).

Originally Posted by sxc
I don't think it matters here. AY is the marketing airline and all 4 AY business class fare (J, C, D and I) get 125% miles from CX.

I spoke to MPC customer service who said to resend and they will look into it, he said flights marketed as Finnair "should" be eligible but then tried to tell me the two denied segments were "charter flights" so those would not be eligible.
I don't think it was a charter flight. That flight is part of AA/AY/BA transatlantic JV and AY sells it as one of the options from JFK to East/South East Asia. These days I fly this route regularly (to SIN) as it is waayy cheaper than CX flights (ex-JFK).

If i have to guess, I'm guessing CX denied your request for miles because boarding pass didn't show fare class. You mentioned boarding pass was printed by BA. BA boarding pass does not indicate AY fare class. As example, mine said Club World 'BA172 NY to London sold as AY5472' but no fare class. As sxc mentioned above, double check your e-ticket receipt from Amex to see if it indicated whether the AY fare class was J, C, D or I. If not, call Amex to get it. I bought mine from AY and the fare class was shown on the e-ticket receipt. Although they all get 125% miles, I suspect CX wants to see those codes before awarding you the miles.

Btw, this is a classic example where oneworld can add value by making its members' system 'talk' to each other instead of having someone like OP running around trying to look for fare class. Anyone know if OW is doing something on this front? It sounds like *A is tackling this issue (based on their press release earlier this month) and i'm wondering whether our favourite airline grouping (well, mine at least ... lol) is doing something similar to add value (for a change).

Last edited by Rivarix; Feb 21, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:20 am

There was an issue with Finnair back in November, when they changed their flight numbers. One of the routes involved was HEL-LHR witch changed to a 4 digit AY1337 series flight number from a 3 series 8-- number.

Finnair changed the flight numbers without updating their computer to recognise the new flights. Mrs rapidex was then denied any earnings or her flight HEL-LHR on the 4th November with the reason given she travelled on a charter flight, which was not true.

Due to the large number of BAEC members caught up with this, BA went in to bay on behalf of members ant sorted the matter. Sounds like others were affected by the changing and using of what used to be charter flight numbers for schedule services. You may find this a line of enquiry worth persisting with. There is a thread on the BA forum.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Amex travel should be able to tell you the fare classes if you call them. And if you have an itinerary from them normally it will show also.

If you are short 35 points I think you’re going to get renewed regardless.
You were absolutely right. Renewed Gold even though short 35 club points. Yippee.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rivarix
Btw, this is a classic example where oneworld can add value by making its members' system 'talk' to each other instead of having someone like OP running around trying to look for fare class. Anyone know if OW is doing something on this front? It sounds like *A is tackling this issue (based on their press release earlier this month) and i'm wondering whether our favourite airline grouping (well, mine at least ... lol) is doing something similar to add value (for a change).
That would be nice. I had 4 segments on the same ticket, two were AY metal and two were code share. Only one segment credited, I had to submit a missing mileage form for the 2nd AY metal flight. Ridiculous!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.