FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Is CX DM more prestigious than other OWE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1872405-cx-dm-more-prestigious-than-other-owe.html)

ermen Oct 16, 2017 10:25 pm

Is CX DM more prestigious than other OWE

CX DM is known to be one of the harder programs to attain top tier status (ie emerald) with higher spend requirements.

​​​and I have heard it does increase your social prestige if you say "I am a CX DM" versus say a "AA (or name whatever other OW program) EXP"?

Why?

​​​

SilverChris Oct 16, 2017 10:39 pm

This is going to be an interesting thread... :D

HKprince Oct 16, 2017 11:26 pm

What exactly is "social prestige"??? lol

FlyPointyEnd Oct 17, 2017 12:43 am

perhaps its because DMs are far less than the amount of AA EXPs

kaka Oct 17, 2017 12:51 am

But it wont lead you into the private room or concord room.

DMPHL Oct 17, 2017 12:57 am

I think the only people who really care are CX DMs. Like other OWE statuses, there are benefits the home airline gives only to you. There are no additional benefits that CX DM earns from other OW carriers. So, I think no one, certainly not the airlines, really cares.

percysmith Oct 17, 2017 1:07 am

CX DM is more valuable than OWE on CX/KA. Cannot discern any other benefits elsewhere.

TravelwhileyouEat Oct 17, 2017 1:45 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL (Post 28941509)
I think the only people who really care are CX DMs. Like other OWE statuses, there are benefits the home airline gives only to you.

Agreed, though in terms of 'secret' tiers DM+ does have a benefit that I would love to have which is accessing lounges regardless of airline flown (though I would never willingly give CX enough of my own money just to reach this).

G-CIVC Oct 17, 2017 1:57 am

The above post makes me want to rephrase this question...Is DM1600 more prestigious than DM? Is DMP more prestigious than DM1600? Is IN more prestigious than DMP? :D :D :D

G-CIVC Oct 17, 2017 2:00 am

I'm giving up the miles-showering switching from OWE to CX DM. Because the analogy that many crew draw is that OWE are the adopted while DM are the biological kids. Of course I'm so shallow...

In reality, for someone that flies CX mostly, being DM will get you a lot of perks that can't be replicated by OWE - much better handling during IRROPS, 3888, upgrades at 1600, clearing and releasing from WL, op up, unpublished milestone/birthday upgrades, pre upgrades during OLCI, event invitations......

Whether this makes it flashy...YMMV I guess

sxc Oct 17, 2017 2:01 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 28941639)
Is DM1600 more prestigious than DM?

Of course not....there is nothing on the card, baggage tags or boarding pass to wave around.

christep Oct 17, 2017 2:02 am

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat (Post 28941616)
DM+ does have a benefit that I would love to have which is accessing lounges regardless of airline flown.

DM used to have that benefit (J lounges only). The value of DM is far below what it was 15 years ago it seems to me.

kaka Oct 17, 2017 2:03 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 28941646)
I'm giving up the miles-showering switching from OWE to CX DM. Because the analogy that many crew draw is that OWE are the adopted while DM are the biological kids. Of course I'm so shallow...

In reality, for someone that flies CX mostly, being DM will get you a lot of perks that can't be replicated by OWE - much better handling during IRROPS, 3888, upgrades at 1600, clearing and releasing from WL, op up, unpublished milestone/birthday upgrades, pre upgrades during OLCI, event invitations......

Whether this makes it flashy...YMMV I guess

i wouldnt dispute you and i think your are right - but i dont see the social status part. what you said aside, being in the concord room is cooler than random opups, which you'd still get as a OWE - just less.

kaka Oct 17, 2017 2:04 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 28941648)
Of course not....there is nothing on the card, baggage tags or boarding pass to wave around.

isnt 1600 where you get a partner gold card? you can then wave, she's a gifted gold! let ME thru!

G-CIVC Oct 17, 2017 2:06 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 28941648)

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 28941659)
isnt 1600 where you get a partner gold card? you can then wave, she's a gifted gold! let ME thru!

Haha that's at 1800, but well, DM 1600 grants you four chances to flash that 2A BP on instagram, or down those 4/8/16/whatever glasses of Krug!