FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   CX Premium Economy actually makes flying 19 hours tolerable (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1825889-cx-premium-economy-actually-makes-flying-19-hours-tolerable.html)

355F1 Mar 2, 2017 8:46 pm

I have only flown CX once--last January BKK-HKG-LAX in F on an AA Award ticket.

i was hoping to fly them to Bali or Thailand in Paid PE but they are so much more expensive than many other airlines.

I find PE a perfect value on most long-hauls if I'm buying the ticket.

Going to try VS's 787 next year to South Africa in PE; I have flown PE on BA and AF.

jkuok Mar 3, 2017 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 27966554)
No - I don't think you understand the scale of the discounting ex-LON

Booking 2 weeks out, I paid £875 for PE r/t without a Saturday night stay. Y was £900. J was well over £4000. So unless you can make £2500+ smaller than £875....

how do u find a 875 gbp for pey rt?

sxc Mar 3, 2017 3:50 am

Originally Posted by jkuok (Post 27984427)

From the UK, this price comes up quite regularly for both BA and CX especially during their designated sale periods.

Swiss Tony Mar 3, 2017 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jkuok (Post 27984427)

Yep - I just looked and it's not there now, not even with a Saturday night stay. It was however available less than a month back when I booked it, and that was direct on the CX website rather than through an OTA.

get0ffdanutzz Mar 4, 2017 4:30 pm

CX typically charges at low end $1600 USD out of LAX to BKK.. I think $1600 is a great deal for PE as AA typically charges $1100 + to HK.

Just curious; because Im about to buy a PE ticket to SE Asia; is $1600 typically a good deal? I checked other OW Airlines ie; JAL and they are about $2300

I fly to transit in HK as I love the F lounges I get to use as ExP Member...

Do I have any other options? Thanks for any insight

matrixwalker2012 Mar 4, 2017 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz (Post 27991391)
CX typically charges at low end $1600 USD out of LAX to BKK.. I think $1600 is a great deal for PE as AA typically charges $1100 + to HK.

Just curious; because Im about to buy a PE ticket to SE Asia; is $1600 typically a good deal? I checked other OW Airlines ie; JAL and they are about $2300

I fly to transit in HK as I love the F lounges I get to use as ExP Member...

Do I have any other options? Thanks for any insight

$1600 in PE on CX is low enough for me to just hit the Purchase button and move on to other things.

$2200 may be enough for me to hunt around to see if better deals might be available.

considering I generally budget $1500 for TPAC in coach, $1600 for PE is a no brainer.

the main thing about PE is that after such a long flight, you're tired but thinking "well, this wasn't too bad!"

Not to mention the extra miles (elite qualifying on AA) you can earn flying PE.

In May, I'm going to fly LAX-HKG-SYD-HKG-LAX in PE on CX. Yes, I know the routing is insane, but that trip should net me 35K Elite miles and $4700 of Elite dollars on AA. Plus, my friend who is also going is based in HKG and she will be on my connecting flights, so I can guest her into the lounges and it makes arrival logistics much easier too. And I booked a 35 hour layover in HKG on the return so I can go and hang out with my cousin for a day.

Adrian Choy Mar 4, 2017 8:39 pm

CX seems to trear foreigners better
People around the globe says CX have lots of cheap deals to HK
but for me ,it takes about 2000USD to fly to north america

cxfan1960 Mar 4, 2017 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Adrian Choy (Post 27992065)

Is that USD2000 for HKG-NA roundtrip in PEY? That is pretty inexpensive - comparable to fare for NA-HKG roundtrip (E fare) unless there is promotion.

KACommuter Mar 5, 2017 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Adrian Choy (Post 27992065)

I suspect CX is exploiting the "hub effect" rather that "treating foreigners better". Lots of business people in HK choose to stick with CX, so it charges more and more because it can. The no. of passengers willing to fly say BA for HKG/LHR is proportionately smaller compared with sticking with CX, so there is a significant price gap. In PEY it's typically around HK$4,000 for a HKG origin flight.

SQ does the same thing. I used to buy 10 LHR/SIN returns every year instead of SIN/LHR because the former was typically 30% less.

get0ffdanutzz Mar 5, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks guys- Just pulled the trigger on CX PEY- Cost was $1608- I could not get a PEY ticket on my BKK-HKG Leg, but it's at least an H Fare that will net me some miles.

So for $1608 PEY Ticket on CX This will net me R/T

Base Miles 16,405
EQM- 23,810
EQD 3281

Curious though as ExP with AA- I think I just get an extra 10% on base miles? Think I read only 10% on base miles on the long haul leg not the HKG to BKK leg.
I still have a hard time calculating redeemable miles haha.. But still not bad for $1600

Plus I usually have a lot of leg going on CX East Bound- Seems like they always overbooked and I get upgraded based on my OWE Status.. I usually take this flight via Award ticket and have always been upgraded to PEY 4/4 times last year.. Maybe they will upgrade me to Biz? But wont hold my breathe- But will report of they do.

This trip is in Sept- But after this trip I will reach my 100K EQM and 12K EQD.

brankell5566 Mar 7, 2017 5:00 pm

This seems to be the most relevant thread to post my question, so I hope that is alright. I just redeemed Avios for a Y+ flight from YVR-HKG on the new A350 (really excited), but I can't seem to pick a seat on the webpage. It does indicate Y+ bookings are allowed advance seat selection. Any ideas what's the deal here?

cyster2007 Mar 8, 2017 7:25 am

Originally Posted by brankell5566 (Post 28005863)
This seems to be the most relevant thread to post my question, so I hope that is alright. I just redeemed Avios for a Y+ flight from YVR-HKG on the new A350 (really excited), but I can't seem to pick a seat on the webpage. It does indicate Y+ bookings are allowed advance seat selection. Any ideas what's the deal here?

Give them a call, if you are Macro Polo Club member, you can cell MPC hotline

teemuflyer Mar 8, 2017 7:49 am

Originally Posted by brankell5566 (Post 28005863)

Originally Posted by cyster2007 (Post 28008369)
Give them a call, if you are Macro Polo Club member, you can cell MPC hotline

Or if not MPC, call your FF Customer Service desk, and they can place a request on your behalf to CX for the desired seat.

I, for example, am an AA EXP, so if I book a CX flight through AA.com, I call my EXP Desk and they will facilitate getting my seat assignment through their tools. Usually takes a minute or so to get confirmation.

matrixwalker2012 Mar 11, 2017 1:28 am

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz (Post 27995488)
Thanks guys- Just pulled the trigger on CX PEY- Cost was $1608- I could not get a PEY ticket on my BKK-HKG Leg, but it's at least an H Fare that will net me some miles.

So for $1608 PEY Ticket on CX This will net me R/T

Base Miles 16,405
EQM- 23,810
EQD 3281

Curious though as ExP with AA- I think I just get an extra 10% on base miles? Think I read only 10% on base miles on the long haul leg not the HKG to BKK leg.
I still have a hard time calculating redeemable miles haha.. But still not bad for $1600

Plus I usually have a lot of leg going on CX East Bound- Seems like they always overbooked and I get upgraded based on my OWE Status.. I usually take this flight via Award ticket and have always been upgraded to PEY 4/4 times last year.. Maybe they will upgrade me to Biz? But wont hold my breathe- But will report of they do.

This trip is in Sept- But after this trip I will reach my 100K EQM and 12K EQD.

unless it's a W fare, don't count on the 10% Cabin bonus, but really, it's <1000 miles, not even worth crying over.

the big windfall is the 150% EQM and 20% EQD.

Abidjan Jul 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Contemplating my first PEY on CX, IAD-JFK-HKG-SIN in Feb '18, and seeing fares around $2,200 AI. Reading above, seems to be a fair fare, or would it pay to wait a bit?