FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   cathay fare 'calendar' view not available for business class fares? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1803282-cathay-fare-calendar-view-not-available-business-class-fares.html)

vand_hk Nov 18, 2016 11:36 pm

cathay fare 'calendar' view not available for business class fares?

For the last few weeks, every time I try to search for a business itinerary on the Cathay site and select the 'Flexible with travel dates" option, I get the message "Fare search by "Flexible with travel dates" is not available for your chosen itinerary." and have to check every day and flight combo manually for a price. Anyone else experiencing this? :confused:

e.g. OSL-HKG RT FEB 1st - 30th

G-CIVC Nov 19, 2016 12:01 am

either fares have not been loaded, or OSL is a minor outport that doesn't have the calendar table

I'm guessing its the former. But it's pretty late for fares not to be loaded yet. Or maybe a POS issue?

vand_hk Nov 20, 2016 5:36 pm

thanks for suggestion. I fly OSL - HKG on CX at least twice per year and have only started hitting this issue.

peasant Nov 20, 2016 5:52 pm

It will be the former I reckon (volume of OSL-HKG J class passengers/ searches doesn't justify having calendar table)

Blame the meta-search engines (Kayak, Google flights etc) They go in and refresh their caches on all available routes very frequently. OK for the airline for (say) MAN-HKG, but for a situation like this (OSL-HKG in business) the costs to the airline probably aren't worth it, so they move some routes to flight/ day search to reduce the load on their system

insideman Nov 21, 2016 8:16 pm

I think that Peasant is correct, this is almost certainly due to so called 'robotic' search behaviour. I work for an aviation tech co and this is a common problem. Removing rarely used ODs from calendar search reduces the impact of robotics.

cxfan1960 Nov 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by vand_hk (Post 27500364)
For the last few weeks, every time I try to search for a business itinerary on the Cathay site and select the 'Flexible with travel dates" option, I get the message "Fare search by "Flexible with travel dates" is not available for your chosen itinerary." and have to check every day and flight combo manually for a price. Anyone else experiencing this? :confused:

e.g. OSL-HKG RT FEB 1st - 30th

I expect all airlines have a problem with this itinerary. We have to define a calendar with 30 days in February.;)

vand_hk Nov 30, 2016 1:00 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 27511768)
I expect all airlines have a problem with this itinerary. We have to define a calendar with 30 days in February.;)

haha - thanks! yes, I meant to say 1-28 as per the search I tried.

Sounds like they have removed this itinerary from calendar view for tech reasons .. understandable but frustrating for finding a good fare now

:D! Nov 30, 2016 2:32 am

Originally Posted by vand_hk (Post 27545104)
haha - thanks! yes, I meant to say 1-28 as per the search I tried.

Sounds like they have removed this itinerary from calendar view for tech reasons .. understandable but frustrating for finding a good fare now

Have you tried ITA matrix or google flights, they show the same J fares as CX.com would show, although this may not be true for Y or Y+

chfshifter Nov 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 27545315)
Have you tried ITA matrix or google flights, they show the same J fares as CX.com would show, although this may not be true for Y or Y+

Are the prices on ITA matrix accurate? I was looking at some ex-ARN I class tickets but neither London nor HK ticketing is able to price the tickets in I class.

How do people book ex-ARN/OSL tickets given there are no ticketing offices in those countries? London ticketing office was able to price C-class fare for ARN-LHR-HKG outbound and I-class inbound, where ARN-LHR is with British Airways. When I asked for ARN-DOS-HKG, where ARN-DOS is with Air Berlin, they somehow outright refused to price saying since Air Berlin is the first carrier I should contact Air Berlin to price/issue the ticket instead. If that is the case how come they were able to price (and issue) ARN-LHR-HKG tickets? CX doesn't seem to do codeshare on both occassions.

dodgeflyer Dec 1, 2016 1:41 am

Originally Posted by chfshifter (Post 27548463)
Are the prices on ITA matrix accurate? I was looking at some ex-ARN I class tickets but neither London nor HK ticketing is able to price the tickets in I class.

How do people book ex-ARN/OSL tickets given there are no ticketing offices in those countries? London ticketing office was able to price C-class fare for ARN-LHR-HKG outbound and I-class inbound, where ARN-LHR is with British Airways. When I asked for ARN-DOS-HKG, where ARN-DOS is with Air Berlin, they somehow outright refused to price saying since Air Berlin is the first carrier I should contact Air Berlin to price/issue the ticket instead. If that is the case how come they were able to price (and issue) ARN-LHR-HKG tickets? CX doesn't seem to do codeshare on both occassions.

In the past I've found using multi-city solves this for the ex-Osl fares.