Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
As of 1 January 2017, CX will interline on separate tickets to their airline partners once again.

to 31 Dec 2016 CX Agents' advisory http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2
from 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html

Ausbt article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...-baggage-rules
http://www.ausbt.com.au/did-oneworld...of-a-nightmare
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

AA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner) https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
MH: still check through two PNRs (own or partner)
CX/KA: check through CX/KA separate PNRs. Will resume checking through to partners starting 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html
JL: Will through check. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
QR: will check through separate PNRs (own or partner) from 01 MAR. https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-ditches-oneworld-s-restrictive-baggage-rules
QF: Will check through QF to QF separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs (from 1 Sep 2016)
BA: Will not check through partner or other airlines' separate PNRs. WIll not check through BA-BA on seperate PNR's (as of 15 Nov 16)
IB: Will check through IB to IB separate PNRs
LA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner)
AY: Will check through AY to AY separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs
Print Wikipost

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
They would normally retag.
but i think they would tag ur bags if they would normally aknowledge you as the same person anyways

Last edited by kaka; Jun 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm Reason: I replied to an old post again...
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with OS/CX combo when it comes to interlining? I will be flying VIE-FRA on Austrian Airlines and then FRA-HKG-PVG on CX. Will I be able to check my luggage all the way through to PVG? I understand CX has codeshare agreement between VIE-FRA with LH group but I am not sure whether this code share agreement extends to interline agreement as well or not. BTW, it will be on separate PNRs. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rienhart87
Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with OS/CX combo when it comes to interlining? I will be flying VIE-FRA on Austrian Airlines and then FRA-HKG-PVG on CX. Will I be able to check my luggage all the way through to PVG? I understand CX has codeshare agreement between VIE-FRA with LH group but I am not sure whether this code share agreement extends to interline agreement as well or not. BTW, it will be on separate PNRs. Thanks in advance!
CX has an interline agreement with OS. But on separate PNRs, it would be up to OS whether they will check through your baggage onto the CX flight.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by sxc
CX has an interline agreement with OS. But on separate PNRs, it would be up to OS whether they will check through your baggage onto the CX flight.
I see. I guess I will ask during check-in and if they are not able/willing to do it, at least i have 3 1/2 transit in FRA. That should be enough time to collect my luggage and then check-in again at CX's counter. Thanks sxc !
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Originally Posted by rienhart87
I see. I guess I will ask during check-in and if they are not able/willing to do it, at least i have 3 1/2 transit in FRA. That should be enough time to collect my luggage and then check-in again at CX's counter. Thanks sxc !
My info is 2 years old, but I had separate PNR’s OS/CX (of which my original OS flight had been cancelled and rebooked onto one that gave me an hour and 45 min in FRA) but even then the agent refused to check my bag through, saying interline was only for issuing boarding passes.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by windchaser777

My info is 2 years old, but I had separate PNR’s OS/CX (of which my original OS flight had been cancelled and rebooked onto one that gave me an hour and 45 min in FRA) but even then the agent refused to check my bag through, saying interline was only for issuing boarding passes.
thank you for this info! very much appreciated. The codeshare agreement between LH Group and CX was in March 2017 so maybe (and hopefully) there have been changes / enhancements after your travel experience. I will be more than happy to report back my experience
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:07 pm

Think I'd better add my experience here.

I was on CX889 24 Jun (now i think it becomes CX865?) JFK-YVR- CX837 25 Jun YVR-HKG - CX659 27 Jun HKG-SIN - GA823 27 Jun SIN-CGK.
JFK-YVR-HKG is the return flight segment which I booked through an OTA, HKG-SIN is an award ticket using AsiaMiles (and I forgot to add the "free segment" to BKK!), and SIN-CGK is a separate one-way flight booked on OTA. Thus there are 3 PNRs.

At JFK airport the check-in agents were really helpful in trying to check me through to CGK, although both supervisor and manager were found for help. They checked that they do have interline luggage agreement with Garuda so they can generate all luggage tags here. Although finally they found out they generated 2 tags:
1. CX889-CX837-CX659-GA823 JFK-YVR-HKG-SIN-CGK
2. GA823 SIN-CGK
They were quite confused but the manager said that this may be due to security measure at SIN. So i may need to claim my luggage in SIN and re-check it.
As for boarding passes, they were able to print the passes for all my CX flights, but not the GA flight. Whole process took about 30 minutes though (luckily I arrived over 3 hours early to shop at JFK!)

Turns out that in SIN, I enquire the general transfer desk at T4 and she directed me not to clear immigration, but directly take the inter terminal bus to T2 and then take the airtrain to T3 to find the GA transfer desk. When arrived the GA transfer desk printed out my boarding pass after checking my document and visa, but told me to ask the gate agent for them to pick up my baggage (i was like... "what?!"). I think she saw my facial expression and assure me most likely they would have picked it up and transfer to the GA flight already. Long story short, at the gate they checked and told me my luggage has been transferred to the plane. The gate agent even told me that I would be eligible for 2 luggage as they would treat the transpacific segment on CX as the significant one! I only have 1 luggage though... So after not seeing my luggage for nearly 48 hours I was able to get it at CGK promptly after landing! That's quite amazing to me hahahahaha
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by shek3112; Jul 4, 2018 at 10:10 pm Reason: Add extra info on PNR
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by shek3112
Although finally they found out they generated 2 tags:
1. CX889-CX837-CX659-GA823 JFK-YVR-HKG-SIN-CGK
2. GA823 SIN-CGK
When CX switched to the Amadeus Altéa DCS (Departure Control System) a few years ago, the number of flights each bag tag can have was reduced from 4 to 3. So when you have 4 flights, they print the first 3 on one tag and the last one on another tag, using the same bag identification number. It can be extremely confusing. I just had RMQ-(KA)-HKG-(CX)-ORD-(AA)-YYZ-(WS)-YQB in May. When rechecking the bag with AA at ORD, I asked the AAgent if they are able to understand it, and was blatantly told that they deal with bags all the time and of course they understood it, in a very rude manner. Not really surprised, upon arrival at YYZ, my bags were not there and was left at ORD, but I had to wait till arrival at YQB to file the report with poor WS who had nothing to do with anything.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
When CX switched to the Amadeus Altéa DCS (Departure Control System) a few years ago, the number of flights each bag tag can have was reduced from 4 to 3. So when you have 4 flights, they print the first 3 on one tag and the last one on another tag.
Thanks for correcting me @ernestnywang !
indeed the first tag only has 3 flights with the rth on the second. My copy of the first tag also shows that it is to jakarta even though there are only 3 flights there.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
FWIW, I flew AA PIT to ORD, then CX ORD HKG MNL about a year ago on separate PNR's, I asked at AA PIT checkin if they could check my bags all the way through to MNL, they asked for proof of my CX ORD HKG MNL flight, I showed it, and they booked the luggage all the way through to MNL for me. I flew F PIT ORD, then Business ORD HKG MNL, not sure if that made any difference or not.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by craig44485
FWIW, I flew AA PIT to ORD, then CX ORD HKG MNL about a year ago on separate PNR's, I asked at AA PIT checkin if they could check my bags all the way through to MNL, they asked for proof of my CX ORD HKG MNL flight, I showed it, and they booked the luggage all the way through to MNL for me. I flew F PIT ORD, then Business ORD HKG MNL, not sure if that made any difference or not.
I’m going AA from LGA to ORD on Monday with a separate PNR on CX to HKG. I’m in F and J. I hope AA will check my bag all the way through to HKG
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by sportsguymichael

I’m going AA from LGA to ORD on Monday with a separate PNR on CX to HKG. I’m in F and J. I hope AA will check my bag all the way through to HKG
I don't think you will have a problem, just ask AA at check in, and have your CX flight itinerary to show the agent. Good luck!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
I don't think you will have a problem, just ask AA at check in, and have your CX flight itinerary to show the agent. Good luck!
Not supposed to be allowed on separate PNR per AA rules, only for separate tickets within one PNR when all flights are oneworld flights. The AAgent is bending the rule for you if they through-tagged it for you. I've heard a few times AAgents bend the rule knowingly or not knowingly, but you should be prepared for a "no." Refer to https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...te_Tickets.pdf
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Not supposed to be allowed on separate PNR per AA rules, only for separate tickets within one PNR when all flights are oneworld flights. The AAgent is bending the rule for you if they through-tagged it for you. I've heard a few times AAgents bend the rule knowingly or not knowingly, but you should be prepared for a "no." Refer to https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...te_Tickets.pdf
Thanks for the update. I will advise readers of the thread what happens when I return from Hong Kong.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:39 am

This really belongs on AA but it did not work today at LGA. Agent said I would have to pick up the bag in ORD at take it to CX. I had my CX itinerary and my CX boarding pass but the AA agent said he could not do it on a separate PNR. We will see if it works the other way CX to AA on separate PNRs in a couple of weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.