Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Redemption ticketing deadline brought forward when one sector is confirmed?!

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

Hi all,

Here is the story:

Put in a U class redemption request two months back when both sectors are waitlist

One sector got cleared a few days later (SMS and email received with ticketing deadline T-10 days)

Today is just shy of T-one month so i rang up MPO trying my luck to see if the other sector would clear any time soon

As expected, they told me we can't see/do anything

Ok fine but then they said since one of the sector is cleared you are now required to ticket that one way otherwise that will be released. I was perplexed but did confirm it's a standard one way redemption mile cost. Of course I said no, the agent offered a PE redemption on the following day for the uncleared sector but charges full U fare miles and of course I said no.

So I wanted to end the call but got reminded again that I have to decide if I want the one way U class redemption within 2 days

Hence I asked - when was the ticketing deadline changed?

To my surprise the agent replied - like now - when you ring up

I was *&#%$(#$ but did stay cool and mentioned that the purpose of my call is to check the uncleared sector but not to proactively have my ticketing deadline brought forward by almost one month

The agent then proceeded to say that because you have rung up and now the system has recorded it so you cannot pretend we have not advised you

Ok I was obviously not happy so I put it to the agent that I have written record of the offer via SMS and email (I am sure they have whatever rights under the ever changing T&C) but this is not how understand the game.

Anyhow, after 20mins of argie bargie and the check-with-supervisor thing, the agent came back saying yes an exception has been made but really only one off....no next time..

Seriously - anyone encountered this nonsense? Or should I change my mindset on redemption... which has never been great anyway..

Thanks guys

Last edited by dunflyer; Jul 13, 2015 at 8:06 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

That's new! Weren't they doing this thing of (retroactively) charging the mileage for a r/t instead of that of 2 one-ways, if the return leg cleared at a later stage?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Understand your frustration...

But the more common practice (which they may not have the chance to tell you, or they simply don't know...) is you ticket your outbound now and get charged one way miles and continue to waitlist the inbound trip... Upon confirmation the inbound they will charge the difference between round trip miles and one way miles (which had been charged when you issue your outbound)...

Remember they need record showing you are originally trying to ticket a round trip but because of the time difference you have to ticket them separately... Else you'll get charged two one-way
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
It's a dark art but I think in this case I would've slammed the phone on hearing the words "I want to set a deadline".

The agent is not adding any value but detracting from it - you would've kept your 1-month deadline if the agent wasn't able to notify you of new deadline.

I've just done it today to an agent who tried to inform me (or more accurately, me pretending to be my personal assistant saying I'm away) of a deadline. I kept my original deadline. I was a bit shocked they tried to solicit agreement from someone not me.

There's no written rule but certainly the general practice I understand is *not* to move forward a deadline for a one-way cleared itinerary that was originally waitlisted as a return. So your agent is overstepping his/her duties to CX although for some reason they're incentived to do it.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 13, 2015 at 11:19 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Thanks guys for sharing our experience and explanation!

I reckon this practise of theirs would have gotten a few people to say yes...

It's CX so I am going to play the devil and guess maybe there is some sort of conspiracy in that they clear and ticket your outbound redemption and will be laughing when they don't clear the return sector and then seeing you buying a revenue one way from them.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:01 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Another victim https://www.facebook.com/cxsecret/posts/886189814792593
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
Maybe that IS op

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.