FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   J child meal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1485644-j-child-meal.html)

epigram Jul 17, 2013 5:45 am

J child meal

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the J child meal menu or pictures of how it looks?

Thanks!

DFW DL Jul 18, 2013 10:10 am

It's been a few years (DL, Jr. is now 13), but I remember that CX had a fairly well planned child meal in J. I recall juice, fruit, biscuits, and a child friendly entree like chicken tenders or fish fingers. Sorry I don't have more specifics or pictures.

My son would usually cast an envious eye over at what I was eating (before the days of the Olympus seats) and ask if he could have an adult meal. We eventually stopped requesting a child meal for him and he was always quite happy with one of the Asian meal selections. The dim sum breakfast was his favorite (not to mention dining at the Wing while connecting at HKG).

Good luck in your travels.

epigram Jul 18, 2013 12:16 pm

thanks for the info!

my kids are 5 and under so the tenders/fingers sound like a better idea.

Koru Flyer Jul 20, 2013 7:18 am

It is typically quite good with a juice box, fun straw, chicken fingers or similar, yoghort, simple vegetables, and some kind of desert. My kids usually eat what they want of it and crew are generally proactive in serving first and taking away later. Icecream is also offered.

Also kids get a themed kids pack which will entertain for a few mins.

fakecd Jul 20, 2013 7:41 am

I don't know if this helps but from my experience of CHild meal in Y class was that it was catered towards 10-12 year old than 3-6 year old. In fact with cost cuttings in Y meal (seperate story...) the quantity of Child meal in Y was much better than adult meal... even came with proper chocolate brownie and kit kat as desert where adults had kit kat bar only....Main dish was 5 pieces of chicken snitzchel fingers, MUCH better tasty than any econ meals I had in a while...

in J quantity is probably ok for both, but my point being child meal quality is decent and you should order it... cuz if your child really hates it, you can exchange and have the child meal ;)

Cathay Boy Jul 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd (Post 21129075)

in J quantity is probably ok for both, but my point being child meal quality is decent and you should order it... cuz if your child really hates it, you can exchange and have the child meal ;)

Not true at all last time I flew with family in PEY. The "child meal" is obviously a dumb-down of adults Y meal. The drink isn't child-box juice, they simply poured orange juice in a plastic cup they give to adults. The "child meal" is chicken with rice, and a piece of bread. The only thing that suggests this plate is a child meal is the sticker "children meal" on it. Other than that, this is easily one of the adult meals they serve in Y class.

I didn't make a fuss about it, but very disappointed. I would be happy if they throw chicken fingers, nuggets, a simple juice box with a side of fruits. But they threw an adult Y meal at my children.

mayodave Jul 21, 2013 11:38 pm

This suggests you didn't pre order the child meal. My daughter was given salad first. Then offered soup & roll. The chicken dish was Chinese style without rice & fruit was given for deserts. All in all she was happy as she was served totally seperate to everyone else. This was on hong Kong to lax 5 weeks ago in business class, not economy.

epigram Jul 22, 2013 10:54 am

thanks all for the comments.

I decided to order the child meal for kids. if they don't like it, I guess I could always eat it and pass them mine instead!

it's a pity CX don't put pictures of their J child meal unlike the other airline flying out of SIN.

kaka Jul 23, 2013 6:06 am

Originally Posted by epigram (Post 21138883)
thanks all for the comments.

I decided to order the child meal for kids. if they don't like it, I guess I could always eat it and pass them mine instead!

it's a pity CX don't put pictures of their J child meal unlike the other airline flying out of SIN.

surely you can ask for extra adult meal... usually there is extra..

Cathay Boy Jul 23, 2013 6:51 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 21143609)
surely you can ask for extra adult meal... usually there is extra..

I have never asked for an extra but the number of times I've seen people around me asking for extra and was flat out told "only one per pax."

GabL Nov 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but I'm traveling from YYZ to HKG in a month, and wondering if anyone recently ordered child meals in J? Would like to see with all those cost cutting initiatives, what do they offer for child meals now. Thank you!

wrldtrav2013 Nov 11, 2015 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by GabL (Post 25698560)
Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but I'm traveling from YYZ to HKG in a month, and wondering if anyone recently ordered child meals in J? Would like to see with all those cost cutting initiatives, what do they offer for child meals now. Thank you!

Yes they do still offer the J meal but I tell my kids when they fly that they eat whatever we eat, if they don’t want to eat it then not my fault. Eventually they’ll be hungry and eat whatever’s in front of them. I don’t go through the effort to accommodate to my children’s dietary preferences. Be my guest if you want to starve 16 hours to Hong Kong.

Iamhappy Nov 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by GabL (Post 25698560)

Was on a flight to Oz a few months back and ordered a child meal in J. It was clearly the same as Y (presented on Y meal tray), a sweetcorn salad, pasta, and a small plastic box of prepackaged pudding of some sort. Kid (3 y.o.) didn't like it and hence ended up me asking if there were any spare normal (adult) mains and luckily there were a few left.

After arrival in oz, called MPC and cancelled the child meal for the return trip.

hphreak Nov 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy (Post 21143771)
I have never asked for an extra but the number of times I've seen people around me asking for extra and was flat out told "only one per pax."

I have done so, on supper flights, with no problems.

wrldtrav2013 Nov 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by hphreak (Post 25700092)
I have done so, on supper flights, with no problems.

I’ve sampled every meal option of a CX flight before. Went to the galley and they said “mr. wrldtrav2013, here is every meal option we have, feel free to try all of them.” Needless to say I wrote a lengthy comment card about the degradation of J catering, then got a lengthy response from CX about upcoming changes. So if you ask nicely they’ll pretty much let you eat whats on the plane